6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2010 6:51 AM by the_wine_snob

Cutting Scene -- but not audio

Dude12341234

Hello,

I'm editing a video with an audio tract. I've successfully cut a few frams out of the middle of the clip, but it appears that in doing do, I've also cut the associated audio. Is there some way to just cut the video frames without affecting the audio component?

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

• 1. Re: Cutting Scene -- but not audio
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you talking about audio that's a part of the clip or audio that's a separate clip?

If you select a clip on your timeline, split will only cut through that clip.

If you want to cut the video but not the audio for a clip, right-click on the clip and select the option to Unlink Audio and Video. Then select the video portion and split it only.

• 2. Re: Cutting Scene -- but not audio
            the_wine_snob Level 9

You can also Alt+click on just the Video portion to unlink (the word that I think Steve wanted... ) it from its Audio.

Now, this will leave a gap in the Video, but I assume that you will either fill it in, or will be doing L-cuts, or J-cuts.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - if you are doing L, or J-cuts, this ARTICLE will give you some tips. Also, Steve has a great tutorial on Muvipix, on using those.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Cutting Scene -- but not audio
              Dude12341234 Level 1

The audio was added to the video. I'm trying to edit the video while leaving the original audio intact.

• 4. Re: Cutting Scene -- but not audio
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Got you. Unfortunately, PrE does not make that as easy as it really should be (my viewpoint). PrE will want to cut both, and will want to close up the gap. I find that with PrE, the best method is to remove the Audio, while doing this, cut, Delete and Leave Gap, then add the Soundtrack, or Narration back.

In PrPro, you can lock the Audio Track, so that one is JUST editing Video. Also, with Track Targeting, locking is not really even necessary, but a good safety net.

This function would be at the top of my PrE "wish list." I guess that Adobe's assumption was that one would want to edit both the Audio and the Video, and any continuous Audio would be added after all cuts were made. This makes doing a "music video" more difficult, than it really should be. Though I add my Audio after cutting the Video, I can see where this could be an issue. There are maybe three recent threads on similar. I've filed Feature Requests for locking Audio and/or Video Tracks in PrE, but so far, that feature has not been added.

Sorry about that, but you do have the workaround of removing, editing, filling the gaps, or other, and then replacing the Soundtrack.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Cutting Scene -- but not audio
                  Dude12341234 Level 1

Thank you all very much.

• 6. Re: Cutting Scene -- but not audio
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome!

Hunt