15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2010 7:09 AM by nw316

Horribly long wait w/Media Encoder

nw316 Level 1

The smallest clip takes forever to export in CS4/Media Encoder.  Nothing like my old Pro 1.5 Premiere.  What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Horribly long wait w/Media Encoder
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Not enough details.

Some suggestions and answer at least the 16 questions at the end of the Wiki article.

• 2. Re: Horribly long wait w/Media Encoder
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Start by looking at your orginal message http://forums.adobe.com/thread/558361?tstart=0

Check the links I provided there, and answer the questions HERE so someone will have more information and then may be able to help

Added

Grin... Hi Harm... our answers crossed in the mail and you beat me by a fraction of a second

• 3. Re: Horribly long wait w/Media Encoder
              nw316 Level 1

If there is someone here who knows about Encoder who has more than a flippant response?  All I know is when I go to export - Pro 1.5 was instant and Media Encoder takes 10 min to analyze my file before it starts and then takes 5 min to do a 10 sec clip.  I don't have time to read about my ASIO card right now.

• 4. Re: Horribly long wait w/Media Encoder
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, I would not consider either reply "flippant." Each poster is trying to get the necessary info to help you better and more quickly - that is all.

The slowdown could be related to your source footage, your Project/Sequence Preset, or your computer. Or, it could be related to some setting chosen. That is what they are asking for - info to point them directly at what might be going on. They are only trying to offer help as efficiently, as is possible.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Horribly long wait w/Media Encoder
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You provide ZERO INFORMATION about your computer or the files you are using

Then you say we are "flippant" when we ask for more information

Good luck... I'm done answering and trying to help

• 6. Re: Horribly long wait w/Media Encoder
                    joshtownsend Level 2

Leave him alone guys. He doesn't have time to post specifics he just wants to know where the "Don't render so slow because I'm special" checkbox is.

• 7. Re: Horribly long wait w/Media Encoder
                      nw316 Level 1

How about don't render so slow because I'm behind the eight ball 

I apologize for my attitude and impatience this morning - thanks Bill, you  are probably covering the area I needed help with.  I am using window vista, 3.2 quad core and I have 8 GB RAM and the NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT, and I was trying to export some animations (720 X 480) composited with a green matte.  Also working to export some  AVCHD files (1980 X 1080).

My main frustration was I had a deadline and haven't worked much in CS4 since upgrading a couple months ago from Premiere Pro 1.5 which always exported instantly - no waiting whatsoever.  I just was looking for a way to do the same in a hurry, since I couldn't bring the whole project back down to 1.5. Again, sorry for the attitude.

• 8. Re: Horribly long wait w/Media Encoder
                        nw316 Level 1

The files were also widescreen and were being encoded to DV widescreen as well. (Excepting the AVCHD)

• 9. Re: Horribly long wait w/Media Encoder
                          Curt Wrigley Level 4

First; make sure you have upgraded to 4.2.1; some minor improvemnts were made in perfoermance.

When  you export via AME, it opens a temp copy of your project then renders the project.   If your project is Large, he first step can take some time.

After that, the render tmes should be similar IF you ae using equivelent settings and source.   Render AVCHD will take some time.,

The GAIN of course is AME can now batch render while you work on other projects (or eve the same project)

• 10. Re: Horribly long wait w/Media Encoder
                            Giorgio1957 Level 3

Sorry in advance for the simple question:

Is all this wonderfull "gear" working in a 32 bit operating system?

If yes, remove all the unusefull RAM (5 Gb) and things will go faster and faster.

Anyway, when you'll have time (and not only), think about Seven O.S.

Ciao

Giorgio

• 11. Re: Horribly long wait w/Media Encoder
                              nw316 Level 1

Thanks Curt, - and everone who has tried helping medespite my lack of courteousness -

Every time I've tried updating with the 4.2.1 update I get an error:

Please close the following applications and retry to continue installing updates:
                              PhotoshopServer.exe
                              processcoordinationserver

which I don't know how to solve.  I don't have Photoshop installed on this system, unless it's paart of the CS4 Premiere file not activated - and I don't know what the processcoordinationserver is.

I was happy to read about the batch processing with AME, but everytime I try more than one file, or go back to my file and begin working on something else, AME crashes and I need to reset all the files. 

I wish there was a way to do the simple exporting as in Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5.  I am talking clips of 45 to 90 frames taking ten minutes to export so I can composite in another program with better green keying effects, then import back into Premiere.

• 12. Re: Horribly long wait w/Media Encoder
                                nw316 Level 1

Gio - as far as I know it's all 64 bit.

• 13. Re: Horribly long wait w/Media Encoder
                                  nw316 Level 1

Gio - as far as I know, it's all 64 bit.

My system was optimized to get rid of all the Vista non essential stuff.

As far as I can tell, AME  is reanalyzing my project everytime before exporting the next clip... once that's done, it resembles 1.5 and the process is quick.

• 14. Re: Horribly long wait w/Media Encoder
                                    nw316 Level 1

and I was just able to install 4.2.1 by downloading from the Adobe site instead of the program's autmatic updater - it told me to shut down Adobe Bridge - apparently that was the proscesscoordinationserver  ??  don't know  but will reboot and see - thanks,

also, I had a lot of fluff outside my work area going on in my project (instead of a 2 & 1/2min project, it was over 7 mins with all the noon essential stuff laying around - I will get rid of all the clutter so AME isn't processing it as part of the project.

• 15. Re: Horribly long wait w/Media Encoder
                                      nw316 Level 1

And well after all these changes & rebooting: (7) 3 sec clips clips exported in 13min 54sec

The difference: about 40% quicker but still way too long, AND the system didn't crash this time allowing me to go in and rearrange clips while it was batch processing.

Probably need to stick with 1.5