8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2010 11:21 AM by Scott Chichelli

Need recommendations on upgrading hardware

dudelove82

Hi guys, per some discussion in the main PP forum last week, I need to upgrade my system in order to run CS4! I would like to accomplish this as economically as possible because my boss will have to approve the purchase, and whether or not she approves it will depend much on how cheap it can be done. Done well that is. If the tradeoff is bad I don't want to risk not being able to run the software just to save a few bucks.

What I've taken away so far is that I need much more RAM and I need to get at least two additional HDDs. But I want to make sure I am taking everything into account. Let me just list my specs here, and I would love your recommendations on what to upgrade and what to get. Also let me know whether you think it would be better just to get a whole new CPU. Keep in mind I am quite the noob and not very tech-savvy...

Cheers,

Adam

Here's the specs:

6400 @ 2.13 GHz, 1.99 GB RAM

Windows XP SP3

Hard Drive - 1x 195GB NTFS w/ 106GB free

ATI Radeon Graphics Processor

RAID controllers: Intel(R) 82801 GR/GH SATA RAID Controller, and Silicon Image SiI 3114 SoftRaid 5 Controller

Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

Virtual memory 2044 MB for all drives

Did I miss anything?

• 1. Re: Need recommendations on upgrading hardware
          kohns

The cheapest is to stick to your current Premiere version. But looking at your current PC specifications (and in particular the disk size) I don't have the idea that you are already running any version of Premiere on it.

What is your budget for the hardware ?

I would start to look at the CS4 recommendations:

Minimum system requirements for Adobe Premiere Pro CS4:

• 2GHz or faster processor for DV; 3.4GHz for HDV; dual 2.8GHz for HD (an SSE2-enabled processor is required for AMD systems)
          • Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (Service Pack 3 recommended) or Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 1 (certified for 32-bit Windows XP and 32-bit and 64-bit Windows Vista)
          • 2GB of RAM
          • 10GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on flash-based storagedevices)
          • 1,280x900 display with OpenGL 2.0-compatible graphics card *
          • Dedicated 7200 RPM hard drive for DV and HDV editing; striped disk array storage (RAID 0) for HD; SCSI disk subsystem preferred
          • For SD/HD workflows, an Adobe-certified card for capture and export to tape *
          • OHCI-compatible IEEE 1394 port for DV and HDV capture, export to tape, and transmit to DV device
          • DVD-ROM drive (DVD+/-R burner required for DVD creation)
          • Blu-ray burner required for Blu-ray disc creation
          • Microsoft Windows Driver Model- or ASIO-compatible sound card
          • QuickTime 7.4.5 software required to use QuickTime features
          • Broadband Internet connection required for online services

And don't forget that if you want to address more then 3-4 GB of memory that you will need to upgrade Windows as well to a 64 bit version.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need recommendations on upgrading hardware
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Simple: Get a complete new system. Nothing here with any salvage value.

You can still use your old system for other tasks. How to get the best from a PC? Some guides...

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Need recommendations on upgrading hardware
              kohns Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

Simple: Get a complete new system. Nothing here with any salvage value.

You can still use your old system for other tasks. How to get the best from a PC? Some guides...

You are cruel but honest Harm

Seriously I think we need his hardware budget before we can help him assembling a new system.

• 4. Re: Need recommendations on upgrading hardware
                Harm Millaard Level 7

It is pretty simple. The OP's boss pays for his/her productivity. If the boss only has below par tools for the job, he is making it impossible to get any productivity. His only option is to invest in decent hardware to get the job done within budget and time constraints. Otherwise as OP I would quit the job. It is not possible with his current equipment to do a decent job. The investment cost is only a fraction of the yearly salary but if it improves productivity by a margin of 500% or more, what is the downside of a $ 2K investment?

• 5. Re: Need recommendations on upgrading hardware
                  kohns Level 1

If you look at previous posts some people already configured nice systems for +- 1.8k

It all depends on what you need to do with it.

If premiere pro CS4 is or will be his main job then yes you are right and he should invest even a little more then 2k.

But if he only needs to use it occasionaly I think a 1.8k system should be fine... and little more if he needs more disk space or requires redundancy.

• 6. Re: Need recommendations on upgrading hardware
                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Run my Premiere Pro Benchmark (PPBM4) and email me the results.  Then you can show your boss how your current system performs in comparison to comparison to your peers!

• 7. Re: Need recommendations on upgrading hardware
                      dudelove82 Level 1

Thanks everyone, this has been really informative.

Boss now says budget is not an issue.

That said, the goal of upgrading/replacing my PC is to be able to import .flv files (generated from another program), work with them in Premiere, and then export them with the same dimensions and settings as the source file. Currently when I try to export straight from Premiere I get the error "Property Data Invalid" and it crashes without giving any additional info. I'll refer to the guides that Harm provided but any plain and dirty advice is still much appreciated. For instance I know that I need good amount of RAM, 3 separate internal HDDs that spin at 7200... and then what?

I don't need everything to be top of the line, it just needs to serve its purpose.

Would it also be possible to just add/replace parts on the current PC? Or is it just better to start from scratch?

Many MANY thanks

Adam

• 8. Re: Need recommendations on upgrading hardware
                        Scott Chichelli Level 3

HI,

as mentioned there is really nothing worth salvaging from the old system.

if this is for biz use it would be foolish anyway.

Ideal affordable system

decent size tower (for more HDDs and good cooling.)

700w minimum good power supply

X58 motherboard

Intel 920 or higher

6gig minimum DDR3 1600 (if running Adobe production suite then 12 if you use AE/PS with bridge along with PP)

nVidia  285 <---- Cuda enabled and will support Mercury engine in CS5

minimum 3 HDD

1 for OS and programs

1 for catpure /work

1 for final output render

depending on format/res you may need raid arrays.

plus external back up is always wise.

Win7 64 pro  (FYI its "migrate to a new system" feature is awesome)

image recovery software/back up software.

if thats too big a budet you could go to the P55/i5 platform.but really you are not saving but maybe a $100-$150 for a lessor system.

Scott

ADK