20 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2010 7:43 PM by A.T. Romano

Help! Cannot import slide show to PRE

Tom Berquist

Dear Pros:  Boy is this complicated.

I created a slide show in PSE 7 just fine , then I try and export it to

PRE 7 and it says it will add it to the end of the timeline and it never does

1. Would too little free disc space account for that?

Then I save the slide show and PE tells me it will be saved to the top of the Photo Browser

2. Which is located where as I'm not familiar with this term and cannot find it anywhere

However when I do search for it by name I can find it and try to open it with PRE 7 and I cannot

Nor can I import it to PRE cause a box tells me its the wrong type of file.

3. Looking at properties, the file is a .WMV file . Is that why it can't be imported

4. If so how can I prevent PE7 slide shows from being saved in WMV or can I convert or resave somehow as something else?

Please help me.

Tom

• 1. Re: Help! Cannot import slide show to PRE
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You should be able to use the Send to Premiere Elements feature to send you slideshow to Premiere Elements.

In version 8, you usually have to have Premiere Elements open in order for this feature to work. The slideshow will appear at the position of the CTI (playhead), usually on Video 1.

If this isn't happening, it could be because you don't have enough free space on your hard drive. Do you have at least 30-40 gigs of free space for the program to use as scratch disk space? Is it freshly defragmented?

You can also increase the odds this will work if you resize your photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels before you bring them into a slideshow. There's more information on this in the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Help! Cannot import slide show to PRE
            Barb__O Level 4
            Then I save the slide show and PE tells me it will be saved to the top of the Photo Browser

Photo Browser would mean the Elements Organizer workspace.

When you save a slide show project, it creates a thumbnal for the slide show project. If your thumbnails are in the default sequence of Newest First, it should be the first thumbnail  (sometimes you might actually need to do a Refresh to see that newest thumbnail) which has an image of the first slide icon superimpsed on this thumbnail that sort of looks like a few slides).

Note that the data that is saved when you save a slide show project is not directly usable as a file. It needs to be used by the Photoshop Elements software in conjunction with the Elements Catalog and the associate photo files.  I don't think that Premiere Elements can open it directly.

However when I do search for it by name I can find it and try to open it with PRE 7 and I cannot

Nor can I import it to PRE cause a box tells me its the wrong type of file.

search for it by name

PRE tells me that it is the wrong type of file

I could make some guesses here -- like the fact that it might be the Slide Show project file that you were attempting to use with Premiere Elements. What is the Windows File Type for the above comments about the results of the search and the wrong type of file message ?

Question

If my above guess was incorrect then these questions are more important -

1 -- I am not understanding exactly which Output command of the PSE Slide Show Editor you used to create the WMV file - so please post more details.

2 -- Also, please try to playback the WMV file you have using Windows Media Player and post whether it plays OK.

Be aware that if you play full screen on your computer monitor the image may not be clear or might be somewhat pixelated - that I would expect because your computer monitor has a high resolution. It is more whether the wmv file plays to completion and you see the photos and transitions similar to what you saw in the Preview window of the slide show editor?

• 3. Re: Help! Cannot import slide show to PRE
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The PSE Project file is just like the PrE/PrPro Project file, or an Audition Session file - it's basically a list of links to the media Assets, where they are located, and then instructions on what was done to "process" those media files. It does have one difference - the thumbnail, but that's about all.

It contains no media, just like a PrE Project file. It's an XML database. This ARTICLE will give you a bit more background on what is contained in a Project file. It does go on to talk of differences between Save, Save_As, and Save_As_a_Copy, and you can likely skip that info.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Help! Cannot import slide show to PRE
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom,

I looked through your thread and do not recall seeing anywhere where you said or anyone asked:

(a) what was in your Photoshop Elements 7 Slide Show, video (format and duration) and photos (pixel dimensions and how many)?

(b) what exactly are your computer resources, available RAM and free hard drive space.

Transfer of the Photoshop Elements 7 slideshow to Premiere Elements 7 can have problems when the computer resources are too low for the project. Use of oversized photos in one of these slideshows is the typical cause of the issues that follow.

The above is essentially to address the "Send to Premiere Elements" Output option if used.

If you do not use the Photoshop Elements 7 Slide Show Editor Output option "Send to Premiere Elements" (non .wmv route), then you are creating a .wmv version of your slideshow. You can be doing that using the Photoshop Elements 7 Slide Show Editor Output of Save As File Movie WMV or Burn to Disc DVD. In the former the wmv (written with the proper DVD file size designated by you) could end up being saved to the Organizer and/or a hard drive location. In the latter the wmv (with auto file size) ends up in Premiere Elements 7 in the Create Menus section. From your descriptions, it appears that you have used the Save As File Movie WMV route. Please confirm. And, did you have any problems in the writing of the .wmv? Does it play back properly in Windows Media Player?

RX Check your computer resources and look for oversized photos and an overloaded sceneline in the Photoshop Elements 7 Slide Show Editor.

If computer resources adequate and no oversized photos or overloaded sceneline, then use the Photoshop Element 7 Slide Show option "Send to Premiere Elements" to get your slideshow into Premiere Elements 7. Once it arrives there you should find:

(a) your slideshow in a whole video form on the Timeline

and

(b) in the Project View, a file for your slideshow in video form as well as a folder with your slideshow assets

If anything else found or not found, then we need to talk further.

ATR

(add on....FYI...when you save a slideshow project as a project to the Photoshop Elements Organizer, it resides there and cannot go out of the Organizer. The good news is that you can click on it to re-open the project in the Photoshop Elements Slide Show Editor and edit it further. If you have a .wmv file saved to the Organizer, it cannot be edited in Photoshop Elements. The thumbnails that you see in the Photoshop Elements Organizer are just thumbnails of the original saved to the computer hard drive, EXCEPT for the thumbnails for the slideshow projects which are residents of the Organizer.)

• 5. Re: Help! Cannot import slide show to PRE
                  Tom Berquist Level 1

Dear A.T.  Thank you so much for taking the time and sharing your knowledge.

Your are very kind. I think all my problems are due to lack of free disc

space and I am hoping a computer nerd will come over today to help me free

up space, but in the meantime I do have some follow up questions answers.

The PE7 slide show that I created contained only animated stills, but all

were saved in a 4:3 aspect ratio isn't that the same as 1000x750 pixels as I

want a high res quality for dvd?

And Yes, the file plays back properly on media player so I'm increasingly

suspect the problem lies with the disc space.

However, for the life of me I cannot find how to re-open the prject in

Photoshop Elements slide show editor. Where on earth do you pull that up?

Are you saying that if I have a wmv file saved of the same name I cannot

find/open it again ever in PE7? When I try it keeps saying not the right

type file. So is there no way to recover it and be able to edit further in

PE7

Again, thanks so much for YOUR help --now onto the other kind people trying

to help.

Tom

• 6. Re: Help! Cannot import slide show to PRE
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Tom, you don't open a WMV in Premiere Elements. You import it into a project.

To import it into a project, go to the Organize tab, select Get Media and then use PC Files and Folders to browse to it.

• 7. Re: Help! Cannot import slide show to PRE
                      Tom Berquist Level 1

Bill:  Thanks much for that.

Tom

• 8. Re: Help! Cannot import slide show to PRE
                        Tom Berquist Level 1

Dear Barb  O; Thanks for your help. I am bit by bit starting to understand

this, but think the biggest problem has been the lack of free space.

Tom

• 9. Re: Help! Cannot import slide show to PRE
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

This is just a guess, but the default OS installation has the file extensions hidden, i.e. one can have several files appearing with the same name in the same folder. This can look confusing, as an OS cannot have files with the same EXACT name in the same folder. Well, the files do not have the same EXACT name, their file extension is different, but one does not see that with the default settings. Though it differs slightly, OS version to version, setting the file extensions to display in Control Panel>Folder Options will end the confusion. With PSE and PrE, one will often have several files with the same basic name, say "Project_001," but one will be a .SES file, one a .PREL file and maybe one a .WMV file. Each is different, though they all start with "Project_001." If you set your folder display to show file extensions, you will quickly see the difference. Also, each should have a slightly different icon in front of it. These icons indicate the file type, and often the program that will Open the file, but the icons are small, especially on a high-rez monitor.

Now, let's look at the files themselves. The Project_001.wmv is an AV file, and is designed to be played in an AV player, or Imported into another program, like PrE. The Project_001.prel is the Project file, and contains links to all media Assets, plus instructions on what is done to the Assets. This file is designed to Open in PrE. It contains no media, and is really an XML database of links and instructions. You cannot play it, but when you Open it in PrE (and the Asset files are available), you can see playback in PrE. That playback is really of the Assets, but with your instructions on where they are placed, Trimmed, and with the Effects added. This can confuse some, because they think that the Assets are INSIDE the .PREL file. They are not. This ARTICLE will give you a bit of background on what IS inside the .PREL file.

The same is true for the Project/Session files for a SlideShow in PSE (I do not know what those file extensions are). They will Open the Project in PSE, just like the .PREL files in PrE. Just as with the .PREL files, the Assets must be present and unmoved, but then one can playback the SlideShow in PSE.

If the user turns ON the display of the file extensions, things will be a lot more clear. Any confusion as to what the file is, or does, will be eliminated.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Help! Cannot import slide show to PRE
                            Barb__O Level 4

And Yes, the file plays back properly on media player so I'm increasingly

suspect the problem lies with the disc space.

However, for the life of me I cannot find how to re-open the prject in

Photoshop Elements slide show editor. Where on earth do you pull that up?

To re-open the project in Photoshop Elements,

-- look in the Photoshop Elements Organizer thumbnails to find the thumbnail for the slide show.

-- Once you find that thumbnail, double clicking on it will open the PSE slide show editor with that project present.

Now I think that you are aware that Saving the Slide Show Project is different than the Output Slide Show function.  It is the Save Slide Show Project that allows you to re-edit in the PSE slide show editor.

More on finding the thumbnail for the slide show project -- .

When you save a slide show project, it creates a thumbnal within the Organizer thumbnail area for the slide show project.

-- If your thumbnails are in the default sequence of Newest First, immediately after you save the slide show it should be the first thumbnail and it has an image of the first slide plus an icon superimpsed on this thumbnail that sort of looks like a few slides).

-- If you don't see the slide show thumbnail, go to the View menu of the Organizer, choose the "Meida Types" entry and be sure that "Projects" is checked. (it would have been checked by default, so that is probably OK, but worth verifying)

An important concept -

Yes, you can re-edit the slide show in Photoshop Elements BUT be aware that any edits you do in PS Elements AFTER you transfer (send) the slide show to Premiere Elements are not automatically transferred over to Premiere Elements. For example, if you change a pan or zoom back in the PSE slide show editor that change is not transferred over. 

Your choices are to delete from Premiere Elements what you had previously sent and send again from the Photoshop Elemets slide show editor OR to make all changes from Premiere Elements once you have sent the slide show to Premiere Elements.  More discussion on these alternatives is probably better deferred until you have some experience with Premiere Elements. I primarily wanted to emphasize that edits in PSE slide show editor after the slide show is sent to PRE are not automatically transfered to PRE.

• 11. Re: Help! Cannot import slide show to PRE
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Barb__O,

Just for my education, what is the file extension of a PSE SlideShow Project? I know most of my Adobe file extensions, but not that one.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Help! Cannot import slide show to PRE
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Just a quick visit to let Tom know that I will stop by later today (before midnight) to see how he is doing and answer any questions that he has left for me. Looks like he is getting a lot of help which I hope will get him moving forward successfully with his project.

About your question to BarbO..since I am here now, the file extension for at least Photoshop Elements 8 and 7 Slide Show Editor slideshow saved project to the Organizer is .psess

To be continued....

ATR

• 13. Re: Help! Cannot import slide show to PRE
                                  Barb__O Level 4

Hi Hunt,

I agree with what ATR posted that there is a .psess file for the slideshow in the recent PS Elements versions.

HOWEVER, I recommend against just clicking on a .psess file as one might click on a Premiere Elements project file.

I only had time to do a brief experimnet today but this .psess file does not seem to be an independent project file -- clicking on it did not seem to do anything effective to open the slide show for editing. 

My greater concern is whether attempting to open the .psess file directly would do any harm and I don't immediately know

Barb O.  

• 14. Re: Help! Cannot import slide show to PRE
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Barb O and Hunt to whom Barb O last message was directed.....

Barb O.....please reconsider what you just wrote

"this .psess file does not seem to be an independent project file -- clicking on it did not seem to do anything effective to open the slide show for editing"

That is just not so, both for Photoshop Elements 7 or 8.

The .psess is your slideshow saved to the Organizer as a slideshow project and is a file that exists and resides in the Organizer. One of its major assets as compared to a .wmv version is that it can be opened again for re-editing in the Photoshop Elements Slide Show Editor where is was created/saved to Organizer

One of the major reasons for saving a Photoshop Elements 7 or 8 Slide Show Editor slideshow to the Organizer is to have a .psess version that can be double clicked to re-open it in the Slide Show Editor for additional editing. It works. I have done it over and over and over, and I just did it again with several Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements versions. Is there any remote chance that you have several thumbnails in your Organizer and inadvertantly double clicked a .wmv instead of a .psess? I would think not since this whole matter is fundamental and not some new feature.

If by any chance you are referring to double clicking the non wmv version of the slideshow when it is in Premiere Elements after using the Photoshop Elements 7 Slide Show Editor Output option "Send to Premiere Elements" and that ends up with a copy in the Premiere Elements media as well as on the Timeline. That cannot be since we all know that we right click the slideshow on the Timeline and click on Break Apart Adobe Photoshop Elements Slideshow to do the further editing of that non wmv slideshow that got transferred over from Photoshop Elements.

What version of Photoshop Elements were you working from when you got the results that I am questioning ? Tom is using Photoshop Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 7. But, it is the same deal with Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8. Please clarify.

Thanks

ATR

• 15. Re: Help! Cannot import slide show to PRE
                                      Barb__O Level 4

ATR,

I was talking about clicking on the file itself - the .psess file in Windows Explorer - that is what did not bring me in to the PSE slide show editor.

My specific test this morning was PSE 7 and Vista using Windows Explorer.

I was NOT talking about clicking on the Thumbnail for the slide show project in the Organizer. I agree that using the slide show project thumbnail in the Organzer to initiate re-edit has been possible in many versions and I have done it in many versions.

• 16. Re: Help! Cannot import slide show to PRE
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Thank you. I assumed (maybe partially recall mention of it somewhere else) that it was some sort of "session" file, like an Audition .SES for Multi-track projects there.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Help! Cannot import slide show to PRE
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Barb__O,

Thanks for that. My intent was first to learn what the file extension was, and then to be able to direct others, when they had several files with the same initial name, as to what each version of those files was, .PREL (PrE Project), .PSESS (PSE SlideShow), and then possibly .AVI's, etc., if they Exported/Shared and chose the name of the Project.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Help! Cannot import slide show to PRE
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

I get easily distracted these days when something catches my attention. The latest was this .ses business. At another forum that I frequent a user had lost some project.prel files and was trying to find something that he could use to recreate them. One of his hoped for remedies had a file extension of _VOB.ses. That .ses file extension did not ring a recollection bell. I looked it up online, only to find it linked to an Adobe Audition program.

Are you way ahead of me on this one? What he found was from the OpenDVD Folder, the companion of the VIDEO_TS Folder in Premiere Elements DVD-VIDEO. If you double click the OpenDVD, you get a Sources Folder, inside the Sources Folder is a _VOB Folder, and inside the _VOB Folder is this _VOB.ses file which I could not use to re-create the project.prel(s) being sought or reconstruct a new Timeline with that as source medium.

But, this information is not helping Tom at this point, so I will conclude and refocus on his issues probably tomorrow morning. But I will say one thing more, those OpenDVD Folders (when they are present and when they are not) are another interesting topic for another time and more appropriate thread topic.

ATR

• 19. Re: Help! Cannot import slide show to PRE
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I have seen the _VOB.ses file, but have never played with it. I'll see if it can be opened in Audition, and report. I doubt that it will work, but who knows, until they try.

Hunt

[Edit] Well, as I suspected, Audition cannot open the _VOB.ses file. I also noted, when I went looking for a .ses file, that SpySweeper also does .ses files, when it sweeps and makes any changes. I would assume that these are backups for restore, in case the program deletes something necessary.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

• 20. Re: Help! Cannot import slide show to PRE
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

When I was first asked about _VOB.ses (before I was directed to the OpenDVD folder for its source), I found the following:

http://filext.com/file-extension/SES.

So, I put 2 and 2 together and suspected 5 instead of 4. Adobe must use these for sessions files for more than one of its programs. So, it figures that the session file from one particular program will not open in another, even if it is in the Adobe product family.

Thanks.

ATR