8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2010 3:52 PM by the_wine_snob

Problem with media encoder and re-opening projects

cobarcore2

Dear all, I'm a newby and I'm having a very strange problem.

I've made my first premiere project and all seems ok in the preview. Then I've tried to exported it in avi using media encoder. This is a 1024x682 color movie, 25fps, duration about a minute. Avi export setting was xvid compression, and after a long wait (10 min) and nothing started, I've re-tried with divx. After some more time, media encoder blocked and I needed to put it down with windows task manager. Then I closed normally premiere.

After re-opening premiere I've selected the saved project, but it do not open and a message appear (in my language, so I'm trying to translate): "Impossible to open a sequence of the project. It was not possible to associate any sequence preview file or codec to this kind of sequence."

Moreover I've tried do create some other simple projects but none of them can be opened!

More info: Premiere pro CS4, Win XP sp3 32bit, PC AMD64 3200+, 3 GB ram.

Inside project: a couple of avi non compressed video and a couple of jpg still images. And some transitions and text. Background music. Very simple.

I hope you can let me know how to get back to my project, and also to export in avi. Help! Thanks!

Addition:

PS: maybe the codec error I attach can be the cause? How to solve?

• 1. Re: Problem with media encoder and re-opening projects
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I have never been able to use Xvid compression directly from Premiere (either flavor), though I do with the DivX CODEC. For me, Xvid just hangs everything and never completes.

As for getting your Project open, I'd start a New Project, and then Import the older Project into that. When it comes in, be sure to open the Bins for that Project, and double-click on the Sequence icon in the Bin.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Problem with media encoder and re-opening projects
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is the FAQ Entry in the PrPro-Wiki on "corrupt Projects." Also, have a look at your AutoSave files. Note: there should be five, 001 - 005. Set the folder's View to Details, and look carefully at the Date/Time, as 005 will not likely be the latest version. The Date/Time will give that to you, as it's a FIFO situation.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Problem with media encoder and re-opening projects
              cobarcore2 Level 1

Hi Hunt, thank for reply.

XVID: ok, I'll try to use another codec, can you advice a good replacement for xvid? I hate divx for the bad quality on slowly changing blue skys after sunset.

Re-opening projects: even with import function, the error message is exactly the same. In the meanwhile I've found a codec problem, I've added info in my first image attachment. If, when I create a new project/sequence, I change from the sequence setting video preview from default "MPEG only I-frame" to "Microsoft AVI", I get no error reopening projects. But I'd like to get back to my saved work!

Regards

• 4. Re: Problem with media encoder and re-opening projects
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For a highly compressed (lower file size) streaming video CODEC, I use DivX. The general CODEC is free, but their stand-alone encoder is about US$35. With just the CODEC installed, I can Export (AVI container) to DivX fine. I have the encoder on the workstation, but that requires another step, so I seldom use it. Xvid is just the open source version of DivX, but I find problems with it on my Assets and my system.

OK, the Import Project did not work. What about those AutoSaves?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Problem with media encoder and re-opening projects
                  cobarcore2 Level 1

Thank you again for helping! Also autosaved projects show the same behaviour. After some workaround I've found that I cannot open any simple project with MPEG video preview setting in the sequence, while I can open them if I set this option to AVI when creating.

Using Sherlock codec detective I've had this result:

Warning: The following codecs were found broken:  
                  Audio Codecs: 
                  1. "MainConcept (Adobe2) AAC Decoder" ("C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\ad2daac.ax") 
                  2. "MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Audio Encoder" ("C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\ad2mceampeg.ax") 
                  Video Codecs: 
                  1. "MainConcept (Adobe2) H.264/AVC Decoder" ("C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\ad2dsh264.ax") 
                  2. "MainConcept (Adobe2) H.264/AVC Video Encoder" ("C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\ad2evh264.ax") 
                  3. "MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Video Encoder" ("C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\ad2mcevmpeg.ax")

May this is the cause? How can I repair the problems?

• 6. Re: Problem with media encoder and re-opening projects
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, both Sherlock and G-Spot do not see the Adobe MainConcept CODEC's correctly. Adobe uses a naming convention, that they do not understand, but it's done to "hide" those CODEC's, so that other programs do not overwrite them.

Now, there have been reported instances, where a full-paid version of PrPro has "reverted" to the trial version. The trial version cannot do anything with regard to MPEG.

In those cases (do not know the causes), the fix has been to uninstall CS4, run the Adobe Clean Script CS4 several times, rebooting between each run, then installing CS4 again, then updating it. This has worked in every case, that I can recall.

What caused the full-paid versions to revert is a mystery to me, and I have yet to hear of the cause.

Sounds like your full-paid CS4 now thinks that it's the trial version. The steps above should get it fixed for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Problem with media encoder and re-opening projects
                      cobarcore2 Level 1

Thanks for your helpful answers. Now I better understand my problems.

Unfortunately reinstalling had no effect, even with all those precautions.

Fortunately I've solved my problem in another way: open the .prproj file, search MPEG options and substitute the Microsoft AVI option, with the sintax from a similar file with only the difference of the AVI video preview setting. It works!

Regards

• 8. Re: Problem with media encoder and re-opening projects
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        It works!

That is music to the ears of all on the forum.

Great news and thanks for reporting your success and your method.

Hunt