5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2010 8:21 PM by Alan Tran

Can't View Composition

Alan Tran

Hey, I've tried searching the forums a bit but haven't found the answer to fixing this problem. I'm running Windows 7 and Premiere Pro CS4. I can successfully import videos but can't view them - although I can hear the audio. I'm using AVCHD format in .MTS but I've also tried .mov, .wmv, and picture formats.

Computer specs:

Gateway M-Series 6866
      Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750@2.00GHz

RAM: 4GB

System: 64-Bit

Suggestions and solutions?

Cheers

• 1. Re: Can't View Composition
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm not sure that I am following, when you say that you have tried AVCHD, and then list other formats. What Project/Sequence Preset are you using for each of these? That should match the source footage. For each type (format/CODEC) of footage, you will want to do a separate, unique Sequence that matches the footage.

Back to the AVCHD footage, how did you get it onto your computer, and are you then using Import to get it into PrPro?

Also, what are your Output settings for Video in Edit>Preferences?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can't View Composition
            Alan Tran Level 1

I'm trying to use AVCHD and the sequences do match the codecs. That's also the format I want to use and it is not being shown through the display mode. I'm using Canon's software to transfer over the files to the computer from the camera; I can also do it manually by going through the camera's harddrive - both methods give me the same files.

As for the output settings, everything is set to default the way PP was installed.

• 3. Re: Can't View Composition
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Use other material, not AVCHD for editing on that hardware or get a new PC if you want to edit AVCHD material. Your current system is way underpowered for that material.

Run the http://ppbm4.com benchmark to see where your system is lacking.

• 4. Re: Can't View Composition
                the_wine_snob Level 9

When you do New Project, you will need to choose the exact specs. that match your footage. If there is not a Preset, that matches (and there should be), you can do a "custom" Sequence, using the Desktop Preset, and then filling in the exact specs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Can't View Composition
                  Alan Tran Level 1

I am using the exact presets for the footage. There is a problem because I can edit videos in After Effects but not in Premiere.

Harm, I ran the test and sent the e-mail so I'll get a reply soon.

Edit: And I can perfectly view the composition on an external monitor... Is it the video card?