1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 29, 2010 1:25 AM by Rotiz

Can't open a pdf within browser with newest version of Adobe Reader

Daisy Blanton

After installing Adobe Reader 9.3 I can't view links to a PDF file. I get this message.

'The Adobe Acrobat/Reader that is running can not be used to veiw PDF files in a Web Browser. Please exit Adobe Acrobat/Reader and exit your Web Browser and try again.'

How can get to the PDF file on the internet if you are not in a browser?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Can't open a pdf within browser with newest version of Adobe Reader
          Rotiz

I'm actually having the same problem on several computers running both Windows XP sp3 and Windows 7. I've deployed a customized installation created in Adobe Customization Wizard (basicly just turned off the Adobe Online/Registration options in the menu). WinXP use IE6 and Win7 naturally IE8.

I'm going to try and find a solution to this and I will get back to you if I do find one.

In the mean time you can start Adobe Reader, go to the "Edit" menu and select "preferences", find the option "Internet" on the left menu and remove the option for "View PDF's in web browser".

Edit:

Actually, I found this in case you haven't found it yourself yet: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405461.html

Unfortunately that doesn't help me much, since I need to figure out why the installer won't do it properly. So if anyone else have an idea about this it would be appreciated if you could share your knowledge.