5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2010 11:46 AM by markad007

newbie question on text rendering with motion

gunderj

Hi,

I am new to Flash and after 10 hours of self-training and little results, I would like to ask the experts for help.  In a flash movie I want three lines of text where I want line1 to appear with a preset motion, then line2 directly below line1 to appear with a preset motion, then line3 directly below line2 to appear with preset motion.  I want to have the smallest possible fla file.  Can someone advise on how to accomplish this?

Thanks very much,

Jay

• 1. Re: newbie question on text rendering with motion
          waterdad568 Level 3

Create three layers and name them. On the first layer select first frame. In Tool bar select text tool. Click where you want begin tween. Type text. Unselect text (click on blank area of stage) In tool bar select selection tool, reselect object. In Modify select Convert to Symbol, then Movie Clip, name object, click OK. With selection tool select object. In Window select Motion Presets, select desired preset, click Apply.

Repeat with each layer.

• 2. Re: newbie question on text rendering with motion
            gunderj Level 1

Thanks for the help.  I am just missing one concept, though.  I did as you say with three layers, but if the layers are stacked one on top of eachother, then they all play simultaneously as one movie.  The effect I need is for line1 to render, then line2 to render with line1 static and above line2.  Then line3 to render with line1 and line2 static and above line3.

I tried sequencing the layers to come one after the other, but I could not get the static line1 and line2 into the second and third layers.

Thanks again if you can advise,

Jay

• 3. Re: newbie question on text rendering with motion
              markad007 Level 1

Jay,

Perhaps this may help. I did a sample for you. I hope this helps? Let me know if you have any questions?

Mark

See attached sample.fla

• 4. Re: newbie question on text rendering with motion
                gunderj Level 1

Mark,

Thanks very much - this was perfect.

How did you get the layer one text to occur static in the second and third layers?

Jay

• 5. Re: newbie question on text rendering with motion
                  markad007 Level 1

Jay,

The layer one text movieClip is on it's own layer and I just applied an alpha percent to the last movieClip on layer one. You can see my tween from an alpha percentage of 100 down to an alpha percentage of 35.

A great resource for timeline animation is Chris Georgenes's book... "How To Cheat in Adobe Flash CS3". There is also a book out for CS4.

You can also do this same thing with ActionScript 2 and ActionScript 3. That however is a bit more of a indepth topic.

Mark