7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2010 7:31 AM by Steve Grisetti

Must DVD Menus be the first element?

New2PRE

I'm somewhat of an expert at editing but have decided to give PE8 a try.  Once I wasted a week with nVidia, and looking at the tutorials, online videos, FAQ's, etc. I am "stuck" with the toggle nature of DVD "menu" versus "auto play" mode.  In more traditional DVD's, there is a pre-roll (i.e. copyright notice, previews) -- but PE8 seems to have no such ability.

Any thoughts or workarounds?  Thanks in advance.... project due in a month so have time to experiment.

• 1. Re: Must DVD Menus be the first element?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

In PrE, the Main Menu must be Play First. There is no easy way to change that. The creation of a DVD/BD in PrE is semi-automatic, and is based on one layout, with many templates.

For other Play First Assets, one would need to either hack into the VIDEO_TS folder's first VOB and then do plenty of work, or use another authoring program, like Sony's DVD Architect. I use Encore, but it's only available when you buy Adobe's PrPro. There are other authoring programs, that offer other options for Play First, and other changes.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - welcome to the forum!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Must DVD Menus be the first element?
            New2PRE Level 1

Thanks.  Disappointing, but helpful.

It's bad form to ask another question on the same thread, but it's another topic that's also frustrating me. I have a music bed as 'soundtrack' and the clips are stills with no audio of their own. When editing the stills, my first problem was that occasionally changing a still would create a gap in the audio bed, effectively splitting the clip (ruining the music). I looked for the alt-click "unlock audio" but it isn't there.  The only fool-proof way is to make adjacent clips longer and ripple the clip removal from the middle of the project all the way to the end, one clip at a time.  I was under the impression that pulling out a clip should 'delete and close gap' - but that is grayed out yet gaps remain in the timeline.

I've watched the tutorials and just not having any joy... don't want to go back to Pinnacle or Sonic... but had 7-hours of "practice" today on PrE and don't have much to show for it.

• 3. Re: Must DVD Menus be the first element?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

You are not the first to come up against this behavior. There is another current thread on just this subject, and two recent ones on it too.

The thinking (my theory) was that Adobe's development team assumed that all Video editing would be completed first, including the muxed Audio for those Clips. When done completely, THEN the editor would add the Soundtrack/Narration. That is a very common and popular workflow.

The best solution, that I have come up with in PrE is to remove the Audio from the Soundtrack in the Timeline (leaving it untouched in the Project Panel), edit, as is required, and THEN just drag that Soundtrack back to the Timeline. Not ideal, but it works.

In PrPro, one can lock Tracks, and also Target Tracks to edit them individually. PrE does not allow for Track Locking, though I have filed Feature Requests, so the workaround is as per above. Maybe someone has a better workflow, and I would be glad to hear of it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Must DVD Menus be the first element?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

As far as tutorials, and the like, I strongly recommend the Muvipix Learning Series. Steve Grisetti, our stalwart MOD, has written many of those.

He also has some great books at the Muvipix Store.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Must DVD Menus be the first element?
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Thanks, Hunt!

And here's a direct link to my free Muvipix Basic Training tutorials for Premiere Elements.

http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchphrase=%22Premiere+Elements+8+Basic%22&btn.x=10&btn. y=2

(You have to join the site to watch them -- but it costs nothing to join, and you're guaranteed not to get spammed!)

• 6. Re: Must DVD Menus be the first element?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thank you for the clarification. Because I log-in to Muvipix with my subscription account, I often get confused as to what is free with sign-up, what is free with a subscription, and what is available to those, who have not signed up yet - think this is JUST the Community, i.e. fora.

Appreciated,

Hunt

@ the OP,

If you do decide to investigate Sony's DVD Architect, Steve has a book on using that authoring program. It's use is also discussed heavily in the Muvipix Community. Sounds like a great program to me, and very inexpensive. I use an Adobe program for authoring, but it is no longer available as a stand-alone, and one MUST buy PrPro to get it. [Bummer, as Encore is a great authoring program. ]

• 7. Re: Must DVD Menus be the first element?
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I also have a free Basic Training tutorial series for DVD Architect on Muvipix.com, by the way!