6 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2010 3:14 AM by Bernard D

When is a tiff not a tiff in Camera RAW?

Hudechrome-sd9sPI Level 2

I have a big scanning job in b&w and have been going along well. I save to tiff, it opens in Camea raw where I have some global settings. After taking a break, I go back and now the new scans don't open in Camera raw. Only in PS. I go back and check. Yep, the earlier ones still open, even after PS corrections.

This is CS3 on XP.

So I move to CS3 on Win 7. Now, none will open in RAW. I check and recheck everything and nothing has changed. Go back to XP and same behavior.

So when and how is a tiff not a tiff?

Cavalier behavior is barely tolerable in humans, but computers?

• 1. Re: When is a tiff not a tiff in Camera RAW?
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Hudechrome wrote:

Cavalier behavior is barely tolerable in humans, but computers?

It's far more likely that it is you doing something slightly different or not understanding the Photoshop/Camera Raw/Bridge preferences dictating the handling of TIFF & JPEG files. Unless your preferences are getting mundged the odds are there is a simple reason for your issues...but it's kinda hard to diagnose the issues on YOUR machines from a distance with the limited info you've given...

Note, ACR 5.x in Photoshop and Bridge CS4 are greatly simplified and seem easier for users to understand...

• 2. Re: When is a tiff not a tiff in Camera RAW?

I've run both CS4 and 3 Jeff. I don't see any difference from the pov of simplicity.

Pray, explain how simply taking a walk then continuing my work would qualify as an operator issue? Unless there is a subterranean view of RAW not apparent and that in coming back to work or setting up CS3 in Win7  I have transgressed certain conditions, I am at a loss to explain.

I also have a problem with Bridge suddenly losing file associations, so I immediately thought to re-install CS3. The Bridge problem showed up when I uninstalled CS4. However, I have CS3 installed on a fresh install of Win7, which shows no ability to open any of the same files in ACR. I very carefully went over every detail in Bridge and PS prefs. They are identical to XP.

So, somehow, these tiff files, derived from a scanner, seem not to open in ACR completely in Win7 and partially in XP.

If my expectations are correct, by re-installing CS3 doing a clean script first will result in none of the scanned  files opening in ACR, matching what is happening in Win7. If in fact, this is falsified, ie open in XP but not in Win7, "Houston, we have a problem"!

If you have some procedural methodology to go beyond the basic setup, I would like to hear about it.

Lawrence

• 3. Re: When is a tiff not a tiff in Camera RAW?
              Jeff Schewe Level 5

Hudechrome wrote:

I also have a problem with Bridge suddenly losing file associations, so I immediately thought to re-install CS3.

Which is an indicator that there are issues on your system above and beyond Photoshop, Bridge and Camera Raw. You need to get your system stable and consistent in order to arrive at a situation where your apps will run consistently...

Hudechrome wrote:

I've run both CS4 and 3 Jeff. I don't see any difference from the pov of simplicity.

CS3 requires preferences in Photoshop, Bridge _AND_ Camera Raw to all be set in agreement in order to be able to open TIFFs and JPEGs in Camera raw...in CS4 the preferences were condensed to be ONLY in Camera Raw.

• 4. Re: When is a tiff not a tiff in Camera RAW?

Yes, CS3 needs a re-install on XP. I know that. Before that, I want to reconcile or not any differences between XP and Win7. I redid the RAW update in Win7 and now both XP and Win7 behave the same with the scanned tiff files... only half will open in RAW.

May be a scan problem.

• 5. Re: When is a tiff not a tiff in Camera RAW?

When is a tiff not a tiff in Camera RAW?

Thae ANSWER!

When it's untagged.

The scanner tags color but not b&w. In the earlier set, I had opened the first set in PS and found them untagged, so I tagged them. After lunch, the next set of scans did not get tagged.

One other tidbit: I noticed that some of the tagged images had the RAW icon in the upper left corner, others didn't. Obvious: I did not say Done on those, only Cancel. Now you can say Cancel all you want after once saying Done and the symbol remains until you open in PS and resave it. That doesn't preclude any additional opening in RAW, but the symbol disappears until you say Done again.

Anyway, I can complete the scans then go ahead and re-install CS3 on XP. Or I can go to Win7.

Neat!

PS I typed this here not only for others but for myself. I am much more unlikely to forget it now!

• 6. Re: When is a tiff not a tiff in Camera RAW?
                    Bernard D

An easier option is to go into the Camera Raw Preferences and specify "Disable TIFF support". The image will then open in Photoshop as before.

The reason Camera Raw "intercepts" the file is that it contains XMP metadata which specifies some edition on the image. You get that if you edit the image in Lightroom and "save metadata to file" for instance. Lightroom only saves the description of the edit changes in the TIFF file. Photoshop can't interpret those XMP directives so the default is to send the image to Camera Raw instead. You're supposed to then save the image with corrections and Photoshop pics up the result. However, Camera Raw forces a conversion of a custom ICC colour profile to a generic one (Adobe 1998, sRGB, ...). That's of course not acceptable if you're dealing with scanned images with a proper ICC profile. So, Camera Raw is out of my workflow.

Photoshop ignores the XMP meta applied in Lightroom. It however doesn't seem to discard them when you resave the file which makes a workflow with Lightroom at the end possible.

I'm using Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 2.