11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2010 6:19 PM by the_wine_snob

Importing video

lcoleman01

I'm using Premiere CS3.  When I captured video from a DVD of a clients to re-edit in Premiere, it only imported the video and no audio.  When I played the clip by itself outside of Premiere, both video and audio were there.  When I imported the same clip into Premiere Pro 1.5, both the video and audio came across.

Why am I not getting the audio along with the video when importing into Premiere CS3.

• 1. Re: Importing video
          dradeke Adobe Employee

what kind of file is it?  a .vob, .mpg?  Sounds like you need to convert it to a file format that Premiere Pro understands.

• 2. Re: Importing video
            the_wine_snob Level 9

VOB's can contain a lot of "stuff," especially the first one in a VIDEO_TS folder. This ARTICLE will give you some background, and some tips.

These can be problem Assets.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Importing video
              lcoleman01 Level 1

Thanks for writing...sorry I forgot to list the format, which is mpg. It is captured as a mpg file.  What's curious to me is why Premiere Pro 1.5 will recognized both video and audio, but Premiere Pro CS3 will only recognize the video.

I have several file converter programs that work pretty well, but I was just trying to save a step.

Thanks again

Larry

• 4. Re: Importing video
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Most Adobe programs can have issues with muxed MPEG AV files. Also, if the Audio is in AC3 format (allowed along with PCM/WAV), PrPro CS3 does not have the proper .dll to handle that. However, you are in luck, as you can go to your Encore CS3 main folder, copy the AC3____.dll (do not have CS3, so the exact .dll name is lost on me now) file to your main PrPro folder, and it will then "see" AC3 Audio. Then, you might have Audio too.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] For PrPro 2.0, this file was ad2mcac3dec.dll, but the name has been slightly changed in CS3.

• 5. Re: Importing video
                  Matt Petersen Level 3

The lack of audio in an MPEG is probably related to a licensing "anomaly" in CS3. This sound might be covered in your 1.5 version, or maybe at the time one of the (ahem) "workaround" were applied to that install.

One of the easiest ways to deal with this is to transcode the SOUND in the file. I do this with the output of solid-state video cameras. It's basically a matter of opening the file in a converter and transcoding the audio only (we transcode to MP2).

Alternatively, search this forum for the MPEG no-sound workaround in CS3...

MP

EDIT: ...as detailed above by Bill !

Message was edited by: Matt Petersen

• 6. Re: Importing video
                    lcoleman01 Level 1

Thanks again for your feedback Bill.  I looked in the Encore file that you suggested but couldn't find the file you mentioned.  There was an ACE.dill, which was all ready in the Premiere CS3 folder.

Thanks anyway

• 7. Re: Importing video
                      Matt Petersen Level 3

I think you're looking for ad2ac3dec.dll in the encore folder.

MP

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Importing video
                        lcoleman01 Level 1

Thanks Matt,  I have a couple converter programs that work pretty well.  I was just trying to save the converting step, and since it worked in Premiere 1.5 without converting, I had hoped to get the same result with Premiere CS3.  Looks like I'll just have to go the converting route.

• 9. Re: Importing video
                          lcoleman01 Level 1

Excellent! Once I found the right file it worked like a charm.  Thanks so much guys!

Larry

• 10. Re: Importing video
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Matt,

Thanks for that. I could not remember the CS3 version, and only had the PrPro 2.0 name to go on.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Importing video
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

That is great news. Unfortunately, there are two allowed Audio formats in NTSC-land, and that is PCM/WAV and AC3. The first gets handled natively. The latter needed a little tweak in PrPro 2.0 and CS3.

So long as you got it, that is all that matters. I could not find the exact name for CS3 (changed from PrPro 2.0 to CS3), but Matt was there with the exact name.

Good luck,

Hunt