2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2010 5:40 AM by Steve Grisetti

Workflow, prepping for Premiere Elements and moving into/out of!

JayZ_WA

Now that I have a rockin' system built and ready to edit, I am studying my Premiere Elements forums, books, and other resources (including these forums, Muvipix & my Muvipix book!).

I have a few questions as I dive into this area but many of them are pre-Premiere, the steps in the workflow before I get to my editing but they are relevant as they move into Premiere.

While I’m experienced in Lightroom and photography, I am looking to combining the elements of still images and video further.  If there are better resources to reference for these types of questions, please let me know.  It seems that it’s hard to find this level of info online (less than pro level video editing & equipment) - perhaps I just need the right resource!  Some of these are just determining the best practices and workflow that is recommended for my video library and video editing/presenting process.

For starters ... In camera (using Canon Vixia HF-S100) - typically, what is the best frame rate 30fps? Is this better to use than 60i?  I have been shooting most at 30fps and at high quality (FXP - 17Mbps, highest is 24).

To computer - Should I use Canon/Pixela (bundled) software to transfer to computer?  Is this necessary?  Can you simple copy AVCHD/MTS files to computer from folder on memory card?  Is this different from JPGs where it can be a simple copy/pasted to hard drive?

Conversion – Is the MTS file essentially like having a RAW/CR2 (Canon) file on my DSLR?  If I ultimately covert this, is it best to retain the ‘raw’ MTS file?  It seems from the book (Muvipix Guide to Pre 8.0), it is best to always work with DV-AVI files – should I automatically convert all files to DV-AVI for use in Pre8.0?

Is this best:

- AVCHD/MTS files from camcorder to DV-AVI

- MOV file from Canon 7D to DV-AVI

- AVI files from small pocket Canon PowerShot camera to DV-AVI

- Photos converted to JPG 1000 x 750 resolution (unless photo slideshow at 2200x1235)

- Audio files to MP3 (i.e. music, narration, etc)

Using Prism Video Converter, is the free version adequate to do this or do you need the Plus version? 

Current Premiere Disk Setup

C: Program Files

D: Photo/Audio File Folders (only files used in projects stored here, complete photo library on external drives), also Premiere Project Files

E: Video Files (only files used in projects stored here, complete video library on external drives)

If the above is correct, the files stored on D and E would be the DV-AVI converted files and JPG 1000 x 750 photos, in addition to the project files stored on D.

Library

Anything else recommended in storing, organizing original video files (and/or converted filed) - do you store these externally by date, event, etc.  Especially where I have varied sources (from Camcorder, DSLR, etc).

Lastly, is there a good to source to view completed videos of others?  I would like to see others work with Pre!

If you can please let me know the best source for this type of info it would be great in creating my workflow pre-Premiere and as I move these into and out of Premiere Elements.

Thanks so, so much!

• 1. Re: Workflow, prepping for Premiere Elements and moving into/out of!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I will let the others, who are shooting HD comment on the first set of questions.

For the latter part, here is my workflow and my general storage:

Most still images are stored on my NAS. When using them in a Project, I will copy the images (starting in camera RAW, or maybe processed to .PSD already) to my HDD. Then, I will do any necessary editing, plus resizing to match my needs in my Project, in Photoshop. These are then output from PS via an Action to a destination folder within the Project's hierarchy. There might be a few of these folders, based on some individual sizing needs, say if I need to pan on a zoomed out image. I will calculate the needs, and resize to that.

I will copy over all other stored Assets, say stock AV files, SFX files, and music files, again to a sub-folder for each type of Asset, and within the Project's folder hierarchy.

Last, my Captures go into a Captured Video sub-folder. In my case, I shoot SD tape, so I have the original tapes to use as a backup. Were I working with material on flash memory, I would also work only from copies.

All Scratch Disks are located with the Project.

You will note the word "copy" used almost everywhere. I seldom work from any original files, and leave those safely alone. With my stills, I usually have DNG's for most shots, as well.

Once I have set up this scheme, I never Move, Delete or Rename any Asset, once the Project has been started. I do any/all of that beforehand. Now, I do sometimes have to add Assets, but those go into the appropriate sub-folders.

Often, I am doing the actual editing to/from my FW-800 externals, so I want everything located together. I set the drive letter for each external drive exactly the same in the OS of each computer.

Hope that this is helpful,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Workflow, prepping for Premiere Elements and moving into/out of!
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It definitely looks like you're well on the way to a successful editing experience, JayZ!

The only qualification might be your workflow for AVCHD.

Assuming your computer is powerful enough to do so (a quad core and 4 gigs of RAM), you can edit AVCHD natively in Premiere Elements. And it doesn't matter what program you use to get it into your computer -- Premiere Elements, Pixela or even Windows Explorer. You're just moving the MP4 video files from the camcorder to your hard drive as is.

If you're going to mix video sources from all three of your cameras, though, it does make sense to convert them all to DV-AVIs before you do so. Premiere Elements doesn't mix video formats well, and DV-AVIs are the ideal format to work with.

Also, if your computer is struggling with those AVCHD files -- particularly if you're not planning to burn a BluRay disc anyway -- there's certainly no harm in converting them to standard DV-AVIs. They won't be high-resolution files, but the quality should still be excellent and should produce excellent results!

As for finding inspiration in the work of others, you won't find a better site than Muvipix for that! The people on the forum are regularly posting examples of their work on the Gallery page. You'll find links from lots of posts in the forum -- especially from the Showcase forum.

The site also sponsors an annual video contest, which includes some very nice prizes and costs nothing to enter. Even if you don't enter, they can be great places to find inspiration.

Here are last year's amazing entries!
            http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/videos2009/flv/2009Contest.swf