13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2010 8:42 AM by the_wine_snob

90 degrees of edit

Brit.b Level 1

I shot several video clips on a Sony HD camera at 90 degrees that I plan to show on a plasma screen hanging at a 90 degrees vertical position. Is there way to edit in Cs3 so that I don’t have to clamp my second monitor at 90 degrees so it is vertical? (It is also difficult to manage the mouse at 90 degrees!)

• 1. Re: 90 degrees of edit
          shooternz Level 6

Use the Motion &  Scale window to Rotate and scale each clip  90 degrees.  This will slow down your editing (rendering playback)  but I guess its only temporary til you export it. ( at which time you will need to put all the clips back to normal)

• 2. Re: 90 degrees of edit
            Matt Petersen Level 3

Might be worth double-checking that your Display Adapter can't do a 90 degree rotate (some can) on the second monitor. The just undock your Program monitor and drag it over there.

Matthew

• 3. Re: 90 degrees of edit
              the_wine_snob Level 9

One option would be to edit normally, and then use Craig's suggestion as the final output. This would be predicated on Matt's suggestion not working for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: 90 degrees of edit
                Brit.b Level 1

Thanks for your help. The rotating display works fine. I may use it. However it makes the image much smaller - and there remains the difficulties of coordinating the mouse (when I move the mouse left to start “play”, it moves up on this display format.) I think that making all 10 clips on the timeline using “paste attributes”) at 90 degrees and scaled down...then tuning them back may work the best.

Another question: How do I output in QuickTime or flash at the 90 degrees format? I tuned the files in the timeline 90 degrees. The output at 270 x 480 on adobe encoder Quicktime, and it came up with a tiny video in a field of black.

• 5. Re: 90 degrees of edit
                  shooternz Level 6

I would have thought you did not need to out put at 90 degrees rotated because my understanding is that you are displaying on a monitor that is mounted at 90 degrees and you shot with the camera rotated at 90 degrees.

ie. you shot Portrait mode, work in the timeline image on its side ( landscape) and you output normal and it will display ...portrait mode on the rotated monitor.

• 6. Re: 90 degrees of edit
                    Brit.b Level 1

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. There are 2 different issues in that I am trying to achieve 2 different outputs. The output for plasma is at 90 degrees with the screen turned on its side so it is vertical is the first issue (now solved). I also need to output the same file so it can be read on my web page and the Flash and QuickTime files can be seen at 90 degrees in the normal screen position.

• 7. Re: 90 degrees of edit
                      shooternz Level 6

You are going to be stuck with a "pillarbox effect" for this instance.

• 8. Re: 90 degrees of edit
                        Matt Petersen Level 3

How about:

- Start a new project, with a type of desktop, using the "portrait style" dimensions you need for your site

- Import your current project into this new project

- Scale and rotate all footage to fit the new window. You may be able to do this one go by making a sub-sequence?? Unsure.

- Export as Flash or whatever

Matthew

• 9. Re: 90 degrees of edit
                          Brit.b Level 1

What kind of project could I start that would allow a portrait style dimension? All the options seem to allow landscape only...?

• 10. Re: 90 degrees of edit
                            Matt Petersen Level 3

New Project > Custom Settings Tab > General > Editing Mode = "Desktop", and type in the dimensions that you need. I just tried and it worked fine.

cheers

Matthew

• 11. Re: 90 degrees of edit
                              shooternz Level 6

Thats interesting Matt.

Well done for trying something "left field". 

• 12. Re: 90 degrees of edit
                                Brit.b Level 1

Briliant. Thanks!

• 13. Re: 90 degrees of edit
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Matt,

This question comes up often in the PrE forum. The need/cause is usually different - the camera operator mounted the camera in "vertical" mode, say to the handlebars of a mountain bike. They then run into the Aspect Ratio issue, vertical vs Horizontal. Unfortunately, there is no Desktop Preset in that program. My suggestion is to find a friend with PrPro and do as you suggest, or Rotate, Scale/Position (cropping out parts of the image), and living with the quality hit.

Thinks for adding the comments to this thread, as it should help greatly in this particular, unique case. Well done!

Hunt