7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2010 3:21 AM by scott452

I've created Flash video but it can't have ActiveX

scott452

Hi, I've got help from this thread before. Might help. Also site is http://www.easybench.org/ASundayAfternoon.html. When someone tries to view the video when they have ActiveX blocked, it doesn't load. Also got email from some guy saying:

Had a quick look at the link, it looks to me like the person who wrote th
      eweb page is using ActiveX and shockwave.

Lots of corporates will block ActiveX for sure. It allows code to execute on
      remote machines, which in your case is harmless, but in other cases can do
      some nasty things. To be honest, it not really my bag, but I think you have
      couple of options.

1) Tell the coders what problems you have having and let them re-write the
      page to not use use activeX and shockwave.

2) Turn the site into an SSL site so it would be access via typing
      HTTPS://.... . This will encrypt the stream so firewall won't block it.

3) Stop the video type from running as a active program, so to speak and use
      a more general video type such as Real Time Stream Protocol (RTSP://).

As I said its not really my bag, but I'll have a chat with some of the guys
      in the office and see if they come up with anything else.

Is there a way in Adobe Flash to make it not use ActiveX, so it will load on company computers which have high security??

Thanks, Scott

• 1. Re: I've created Flash video but it can't have ActiveX
          RossRitchey Level 4

There are several things you can do.

Unfortunately, the flashPlayer for Internet Explorer must use ActiveX - as that is the IE plug-in architecture.  No other browser uses ActiveX.  So, your Flash will work in any other browser (FF, Chrome, Safari, Opera - to name a few).  This, though, would likely require a change in IT procedures at the company, and is unlikely to be something that is easy to do, if possible at all.

So, if you are only using Flash to display video, I would see about getting Google ChromeFrame installed on the corporate machines, and using HTML5 methods to display the video if ActiveX is blocked.  Or, displaying a QuickTime video if ActiveX is blocked.

• 2. Re: I've created Flash video but it can't have ActiveX
            scott452 Level 1

Thanks didn't know that! It's not possible for me to install different programs on their machines. The reason why I wanted to use flash was so when my video ended, it automatically sent the user to another page. I assume using quicktime you can't do this. Is there another way around this? I could always create a non-flash website part i guess - but would be annoying!

Thanks, Scott

• 3. Re: I've created Flash video but it can't have ActiveX
              waterdad568 Level 3

If its a temporary proposition this will work, permanent... not so much.

I have used HTML as a container with an object/embed QT mov to do exactly what you are looking to do once, never had a need to do it again so its the best I can do for ya. I freely admit it's Neanderthal but it got me out of a pinch once for a remote corporate presentation.

Build an HTML page as a container and embed your mov in it, in the <body> tag use an onload statement:

<body onLoad=setTimeout("location.href='http://theSiteAfterMovie.com' ",30000) />

Its basically a redirect script with a delay in milliseconds, in the above case the user is redirected to an external link 30 seconds after HTML page loads.

Here's the caviat... if connection speed varies between your audience, and it usually does, and its a large mov file that takes longer to download than you account for, the user may get redirected before movie finishes.

Not a permanent solution but like I said it will get you by in a pinch.

• 4. Re: I've created Flash video but it can't have ActiveX
                scott452 Level 1

Thanks for reply. I had something like that before and it didn't work at all because of the reasons you gave! Any other ideas?

Thanks, Scott

• 5. Re: I've created Flash video but it can't have ActiveX
                  waterdad568 Level 3

Mmm. Is this going to be a permanent thing? Is your main demographic the average folk or are you looking to present to corporate servers mostly? Sometimes you can't please all the people all the time, and its simply not possible most of the time, so you choose the method that will give you most number of primary targets you can with the least amount of fuss.

Not knowing exactly what your trying to accomplish in the big picture, or how neccessary it is for you to conquer corporate America, If it were me, and I can't give you much in the way of flash, I'm kind of new to it myself, but I would create a ghost HTML page as described, and simply use a "Not Seeing Movie Click Here" link or the like, from the flash version to the HTML version with the QT, and then put another link on HTML for the user to go to where you want after movie is finished, or a range of links to let user go where they want on the ghost page. One extra click or two on the part of the user end, but solves the problem giving you cross demographic access.

I'm pretty sure there is a way to monitor your download bytes total of the QT to trigger an event like the body onLoad timer to begin after the download, possibly javascript, you would need to tell the script how many bytes are in the file, and then when it reaches the equality of >= then it's just a matter of firing that function, such as a timer, and then timing the length of the movie and setting the timer event appropriately if you must have an auto redirect. I don't know of any output queues you could get out of a QT mov when finished, but I could be wrong.

That's the best I can do for you. Good luck, hope it helps put you in the right direction.

• 6. Re: I've created Flash video but it can't have ActiveX
                    scott452 Level 1

Yeh this will definitely be permanent. It has to work for anyone really, but I guess it's most likely to be people who are part of big companies (I've made this site for someone else). Setting up 'parallel' page(s) is probably the best idea I think. I can't see the timer bit working if people are going to pause the video.

Thanks for help guys! Scott

• 7. Re: I've created Flash video but it can't have ActiveX
                      scott452 Level 1

As in above, I got this email from the client's friend!

Had a quick look at the link, it looks to me like the person who wrote th
                      eweb page is using ActiveX and shockwave.

Lots of corporates will block ActiveX for sure. It allows code to execute on
                      remote machines, which in your case is harmless, but in other cases can do
                      some nasty things. To be honest, it not really my bag, but I think you have
                      couple of options.

1) Tell the coders what problems you have having and let them re-write the
                      page to not use use activeX and shockwave.

2) Turn the site into an SSL site so it would be access via typing
                      HTTPS://.... . This will encrypt the stream so firewall won't block it.

3) Stop the video type from running as a active program, so to speak and use
                      a more general video type such as Real Time Stream Protocol (RTSP://).

How could I possible implement them? How difficult would it be? Or where could i find more info?

Thanks guys

Scott