21 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2011 9:00 AM by Ward47

Premiere Elements crashes after 2 min. what's going on?

everyday_democracy

I've been working with Premiere Elements about a month now. Initially it was very slow so I upgraded my memory and used Adobe's advice for optimal playback. That seemed to clear things up. However in the past couple days it will crash after about 2 minutes of being open. It never fails. Sometimes it will give me an error message and other times it will just freeze.

This is the error I'll sometimes get:

premiere elements debug event.JPG

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements crashes after 2 min. what's going on?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Details, Details, Details!

This is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Many of the ideas at the next link are generic enough they have helped some Non-Premiere users fix problems

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements crashes after 2 min. what's going on?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

When a program crashes, or hangs, there is usually a breadcrumb trail left behind. One can often follow this trial, in the form of error and warning messages in the Even Viewer, to find clues as to what is happening with the computer and the program. This ARTICLE will give you tips on gathering those clues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements crashes after 2 min. what's going on?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For doing any editing session, I use the tips in this ARTICLE to get my computer setup and ready. Video editing is about the most intensive operation that one can do on the computer.

It is also advised (in the FAQ entries to the right of the main editing screen, that one update both their audio and video drivers, plus have the latest version of Apple's QuickTime Player installed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements crashes after 2 min. what's going on?
                everyday_democracy Level 1

Thanks for the replies. All the links are very helpful. I will check back if I run into more problems.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements crashes after 2 min. what's going on?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Last, it would be very helpful to have the full specs. on the computer, the Project's Preset and full details of the video Clips that you are working with - where they are from, how you got them into PrE, and the complete details. If you need help with those details, the free utility, G-Spot, can give you the specs, especially the CODEC used to create those files.

This ARTICLE will give you some tips on the types of info that would be very helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements crashes after 2 min. what's going on?
                    nealeh Level 5

Interesting, I had a similar Adobe error message yesterday: PRE7 Organiser error [...winfile.cpp-507]. In my case I found the problem to be with some disconnected files.

I wonder if a recent Windows Update has snafu'd PRE - I think that's three .cpp-### errors in the last few days.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements crashes after 2 min. what's going on?

Here are more details:

System:

HP desktop computer

Windows XP Professional version 2002 with Service Pack 3

Intel Celeron processor CPU 3.06 GHz

2 GB of RAM (maximum)

Single monitor

Display Adapter:

ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series, version 8.30.0.0, 9/8/2006

Audio:

Realtek High Definition Audio. Version 5.10.0.5283, 8/1/2006

Location 65536 (Internal High Definition Audio)

Legacy Audio Drivers and Video Capture Devices

QuickTime 7.6.5

Disk drives:

A:\ Floppy disk drive on standard floppy disk controller

C:\ 35 GB free out of 75 GB total. Microsoft driver version 5.1.2535.0, 7/1/2001. Write caching enabled.

D:\ LITE-ON CD-ROM, Microsoft 7/1/2001

Virtual Memory:

Process Scheduling: Programs

Memory Usage: Programs

Virtual Memory: 1344 MB. (Maximum is 2688 MB, recommended is 2877 MB)

Display:

32 bit color

DPI setting: Normal

Font size: Normal

Programs running in the background:

LINK Client Manager

VIPRE Virus Protection

Process Explorer Screenshot:

process explorer screenshot.JPG

I've also attatched the DxDiag text file.

I haven't found any errors today, even though it has crashed several times, but I did find this error from last Friday (when all this crashing started happening):

application hang.JPG

These are the codecs for my file:

codecs.JPG

Here's the screenshot of my project:

project screenshot.JPG

Once I open that project, it has crashed within two minutes of it being open, even if I don't do anything. I don't have any special effects besides the titles. All I've been doing with this project is rearrange files within the timeline. So far I haven't had problems with other projects or files, but my other projects are under 1 minute and I have spent the majority of my time on this project and file.

What happens is the program sometimes just freezes (and I've let it sit to see if it would unfreeze itself, that works only about half the time). Other times it just shuts itself down with no error message. I've also received these two errors:

premiere elements debug event.JPG

save error.JPG

If I get the "Project Save Error" and I try to save it somewhere else, it still gives me the same error. The only way I can get out of that error is to shut down the program without saving.

This is what I've done so far:

Installed Windows updates (all critical updates installed except for Microsoft Office 2003 Service Pack 3)

Updated QuickTime

Cleaned up start-up programs

Turned off indexing

Deleted temporary files

Ran system virus scans

Defragmented my C:\ drive

Set priority level for Premiere Elements to AboveNormal.

I save all of my files directly onto my computer (not the network drives)

Any other suggestions?

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements crashes after 2 min. what's going on?

One more thing, I'm working with PRE8.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements crashes after 2 min. what's going on?
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

2 comments

Only 1 hard drive WILL cause problems... for video editing you should have at least 2 physical drives (NOT one drive with partitions) so you have Windoze and all programs on your boot drive, and all video and work files on the 2nd drive... some people have 3 drives, with video on drive 2 and all work files on drive 3

Trying to edit WMV files MAY cause problems... since that is Microsoft's format, you may want to check out their FREE editing tools for their files... http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements crashes after 2 min. what's going on?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here are a couple of comments:

Your C:\ is nearly full, and you only have one physical HDD. I would add at least one more physical HDD, and ideally two. Leave ONLY your OS, programs and Page File (see below) on that, use one additional for media, and one additional for Projects and Scratch Disks.

Your Page File is very small. Ideally, one should have it set to about 2.5x the installed RAM.

I'd bump up the RAM to 4GB. You will only be able to directly access 3+GB, but 4GB will probably fill your MoBo.

Look at this ARTICLE for tips on cleaning up the programs & Processes, that load on bootup, and get your computer ready for an editing session.

In that error message, from Event Viewer, where did that link lead, as I did not see that screen? Maybe I missed it though. Those links can be very important and often point directly to the program/Process, that is causing the issue. This will often be memory addresses not being reported to the OS correctly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements crashes after 2 min. what's going on?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

Thanks for pointing out the WMV. I meant to comment on that, but two phone calls broke my concentration.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements crashes after 2 min. what's going on?

I didn't attach this previously, it's the details for the error message:

error details.JPG

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements crashes after 2 min. what's going on?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks. Rather cryptic, at least to me. I was hoping that there might be something directly tying a particular program to the problem, or pointing out a driver issue, as is common. Sorry that there was not more useful detail in that link, or that it did not bring up another link on the MS, or the faulting software company's site.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements crashes after 2 min. what's going on?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

BTW - do you have Windows' Indexing Service running? This is a module that surveys one's system, trying to get info that it can use to speed up Searches. Usually, the biggest problem is with it "locking" files, while it tries to gather data. This becomes an issue with AV and large still image files, plus the large "working files," that an NLE creates and accesses often. Indexing cannot extract any useful data from these files, but that does not stop it trying. When files, like those working files, are often changed, Indexing will run in, and lock the file, as it attempts to find something to make note of. I turn it off for every HDD, especially those where I have my AV files, or my Scratch Disks.

Just a thought,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements crashes after 2 min. what's going on?

No, I turned off Window's Indexing Service.

Thanks everyone for all your advice. You've all been extremely helpful!

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements crashes after 2 min. what's going on?
                                        nealeh Level 5

Your sound and graphics drivers are, in PC terms, ancient:

• RealTek (sound): August 2006.
                                        • ATI (video card): September 2006.

Try updating them from within device manager. I'll also look on their websites to try and find a link for you to download direct.

It does seem though as though your PC is around four years old and may not be up to the job:

• I'm not convinced that a celeron processor is meaty enough for PRE8.
                                        • A single hard disk with 75GB and only 35GB free is inadequate. On a recent project, with PRE7, I got an inadequate disk space error with 85GB free! I freed up another 100GB by moving a load of stuff off and then PRE7 behaved itself.
                                        • Your graphics card only has 128MB onboard memory (quite adequate four years ago but, again, ancient by todays standards.
                                        • You say that 2GB RAM is the maximum. Have you been able to check with HP that that is so? It may well be. My aging laptop has two memory card slots but it will not work if I slot in any combination greater than 2GB.
                                        • Your Virtual Memory is 1,344 MB. The maximum is 2,688 MB, but the diagnostic shows that 2,877 MB is required. Essentially trying to do anything in PRE is going to be mostly swapping stuff between real RAM and Virtual RAM (which is on the hard disk).

Sorry to be so negative but, with the machine you have, PRE is always going to struggle. Windows Movie Maker is probably your best bet (as you have SP3 it is already installed on your PC).

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements crashes after 2 min. what's going on?

No offense taken Neale! I work for a non-profit and so far buying the cheapest model has worked. I actually have one of the newer computers around here, but there is a possibility of getting a new one this year.

I don't have too much faith in Celeron processors, even the newer ones. I've never been a fan and I hope I can upgrade next time.

Yes, 2GB RAM is the maximum. I have only two memory slots that only hold 1 GB each. I actually just upgraded the memory from just 1GB! Unfortunately there's no more wiggle room in that department.

The reason I bought PRE8 is because I wanted something more sophisticated than Windows Movie Maker, which was what I was using before. It's very difficult to do even intermediate editing with WMM.

We're trying to cut costs by not hiring professional video crews, but some of our equipment just can't handle the programs. I'm crossing my fingers I can get a new computer sooner than later. Hopefully I can get at least a little bit of editing done in the meantime.

Thanks!

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements crashes after 2 min. what's going on?
                                            nealeh Level 5

If your request for a new PC is sunk, you could try the Magix Movie Edit Pro 15 Silver Edition. This is a completely legal free version of their higher end product.

Follow this google search.

Cheers,
                                            --
                                            Neale

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements crashes after 2 min. what's going on?
                                              Ward47

I am having trouble with Premiere Elements 9 crashing. The error message is not the same as yours. Adobe Support is stumped. However, I just discovered that the crashes do not occur if I disable VIPRE Active Protection. I don't know if Vipre and PrE have a specific conflict, or if they are competing for some resource. Will get back to my Adobe contact, but stumbled upon your issue and thought it would be worth an experiment on your part.

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements crashes after 2 min. what's going on?
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Especially as your error message is different, I would initiate a new post.

When you do, see this ARTICLE on what info would be so useful.

As for active anti-virus, pop-up blocking and spy-sweeping, most programs do kill PrE and are not advised. This ARTICLE will give you tips on setting up your computer for an editing session.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements crashes after 2 min. what's going on?
                                                  Ward47 Level 1

Bill, thanks for the links to the tips. Very helpful. The purpose of my post was not originally to seek help for my crash, but rather to suggest that Vipre might be causing the crashes of the OP. That's why I didn't start a new thread or present all the details of my system and my error message.

The tips seem to be focused on performance during editing. This is good, but no application should outright crash. If the AV active protection (or an indexing utility) is temporarily locking a file, then the application (PrE) needs to handle it gracefully. I will make sure that Adobe Support knows what is happening. In the meantime, I have the workaround of disabling protection, which you have been recommending anyway for performance reasons. I would prefer to be able to have the luxury of checking e-mail or web sites intermittently during long editing sessions, but this appears to be a rather inconvenient process now.

As an aside, the Vipre AV product, at least until this PrE crash issue came up, seemed to be far less intrusive than the two previous AV products that I have used.