5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2010 2:45 PM by Raven1155

Non-standard installation messing up PPro 3.2.0?

Raven1155

I have a computer with a relatively low capacity hard drive to which I added a large capacity drive.  The operating system is on the smaller drive (C:).  Because CS3 Production Premium was large, I decided to install it on the larger drive (D:).  So all my CS3 files are in D:/Program Files/Adobe...

Overall, everything seems to work okay.  However, there are 2 facets of PPro CS3 that bug the heck out of me...

1.  When I set the columns in the Project window to what I want to see (I don't use "Labels" for example) and save the project the changes disappear the next time I open the project!  (i.e., the go back to the Default column settings)

2.  This one's really weird... when I first installed CS3 I was able to use Dynamic link in PPro okay.  I could create a new After Effects Composition from PPro or import one I'd already done in AE.  Now when I select "New AE Composition" I get "An unknown error occurred during the import operation." and when I select "Import AE..." nothing happens at all!!  Other Dynamic Link stuff seems to work fine...  PPro opens Encore when I "Export to Encore" and it opens PhotoShop if I choose "Edit in PhotoShop".

Aside from a full re-install (which I'm loath to do), can anyone think of a fix I can look into?

Thanks in advance!

- Jim 8^)

• 1. Re: Non-standard installation messing up PPro 3.2.0?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, all Adobe programs really want to be installed on the C:\ drive. Locating it elsewhere almost always leads to problems. One can change the default folder, but C:\ is by far the best HDD location. I'd clean the C:\ up, uninstall, run Adobe Clean Script CS3 a few times, rebooting between, and then install on C:\ and update to CS3.2.0.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Non-standard installation messing up PPro 3.2.0?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

I second Bill's suggestion. BTW, what is low capacity in your opinion? 40 GB is sufficient, albeit marginal, and anything larger than 80 GB is more than enough.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Non-standard installation messing up PPro 3.2.0?
              Raven1155 Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for your response!  I only have 13GB left on my boot (C:) drive.  Since CS3 takes up about 10GB on my D: drive, I don't consider moving it to the C: drive an option right now.

I think that it's ridiculous that Adobe wrote things that way.  It smacks of Microsoft and Adobe's seeming attitude of "You can do things any way you want as long as it's OUR way!". 

Anyway, I do thank you for your assistance!

- Jim 8^}

• 4. Re: Non-standard installation messing up PPro 3.2.0?
                Raven1155 Level 1

Harm,

"Low capacity" is, of course, relative.  Since I do a LOT of video and graphics, the 70GB C: drive is (to me) "low capacity".  Your statement-

"40 GB is sufficient, albeit marginal, and anything larger than 80 GB is more than enough."

fascinates me as I'm not sure what you're saying 40GB is sufficient for or on what basis you say that 80GB is more than enough.  I'm not trying to give you a hard time, honestly, I just don't understand your comment(s).

Anyway, thanks much for your response!

- Jim 8^}

• 5. Re: Non-standard installation messing up PPro 3.2.0?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

I have Win7 64 Pro, the full CS4 Master Collection, Flash CS3, Audition CS3 and Ultra CS3 plus the MSL 1, 2 and 3, MB Looks, Pixelan SpiceMaster, Sonic Fire Pro, Color Finesse, Nero, Power DVD, CD Label Print, Easy CD-DA, PerfectSpeed, Mozilla, Treesize Pro, BeyondCompare, and a whole lot of other plug-ins/utilities and my footprint is around 32 GB. This is including a rather large user profile with all my settings for the file server, Exchange server, printers, VPN connections and 9 network drives. A system more loaded than usual for an editing machine. If I can fit that in 32 GB, I say that 40 GB is marginally enough (on an SSD) but double that, 80 GB, is more than enough, even on a conventional hard disk.