7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2010 9:59 AM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

Interactive lights on imported 3D models?

Jeff S GP2 Level 1

Hello,

Is it possible to have AE lights effect a 3D model?

I saw a tutorial whereby a 3D grid made in PS, was imported into After effects, in which a point light created in AE was able to change its brightness.

…This was done importing a simple gird, but would this also apply to a more complicated model.. Say, one made in 3D studio Max, brought into Photoshop, then saved as a 3D layer, then brought into AE.?

I have a model of a human face, where I would like to bring this into AE  and have the ability to move an interactive light around the object.

Can this be done?

Any ideas, or work-around?

Thanks

Jeff

• 1. Re: Interactive lights on imported 3D models?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nope and nope. Not sure what the tutorial showed, but PS Live 3D never responds to AE lights. Everything has to be setup in PS itself. Perhaps it was just a displacement map applied to Freeform, a third-party plug-in, or a rasterized front-on view of the PS stuff used as a normal AE 3D layer.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Interactive lights on imported 3D models?
            Jeff S GP2 Level 1

Thanks, Mylenium

Here’s the tutorial I was referring to, which demonstrates AE lights.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/stern_eran/Crime_Chaos1/video-tutorial.php

In this case, the lights are effecting a 3d model space made in photoshop.  I’m interested in bringing a 3D face model from either 3D studio Max directly, or imported into photoshop as a 3d file,  then brought into AE…. and have the AE lights effect the model in a similar manner as the tutorial shows.

Thanks

Jeff

• 3. Re: Interactive lights on imported 3D models?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Ah, gotcha. This is Vanishing Point. Absolutely unrelated to using "proper" 3D models in AE. It produces an exchange file and then, when importing this VPE file, AE will assemble the "geometry" from its own layers. PS' "other 3D", i.e. PS Live 3D with 3d layers inside the program behaves in the manner I described in my initial post - it does not interact with AE 3D, because the 3D content is treated strictly as an intra-layer effect, only using PS lights. Sorry, but there is no way to circumvent that. If you have simple geometry in Max, you may try to explode it into individual faces and then export those faces to native 3D layers using plug-ins like MAX2AE or some MAXScript that may be used to do this. Of course this doesn't help you, when you have to do a detailed ropbot, but within the limits of what AE can do should be an acceptable compromise.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Interactive lights on imported 3D models?
                Jeff S GP2 Level 1

Thanks, Mylenium

The tutorial shows an actual AE light being used as a light source, (intensity animated) however the environment is indeed a vanishing point layer file from PS.

I’ve seen snippets of information regarding Max2AE, yet it’s still unclear as to what is actually being imported. ..3d models or simple grid planes.? and how much functionality is allowed.

I guess I’ll have to experiment more in this area.

Jeff

• 5. Re: Interactive lights on imported 3D models?
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The vanishing point tool in Photoshop simply distorts the image, generates flat plates, then arranges them in 3D space with a camera that approximates the focal length required to make things work out. You can cut up a photo by your self, distort the cutouts, and arrange them in 3D space and end up with the same thing.

I actually did a tutorial on Projection at Creative Cow using AE 5.5 (way before vanishing point) that may give you a better understanding of what the .vpe file is all about.

You'll find the tutorial here.

Hope this helps.

• 6. Re: Interactive lights on imported 3D models?
                    Jeff S GP2 Level 1

Thanks, Rick

..A very detailed tutorial you’ve provided!  Yet I was hoping to find a way to incorporate 3D into After Effects, and light the object.

After a very lengthy search it seems there’s very little that can be done with imported 3D objects… not quite sure why this feature is even there.  Hopefully down the road it will actually be more functional.

Jeff

• 7. Re: Interactive lights on imported 3D models?
                      Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

After a very lengthy search it seems there’s very little that can be done with imported 3D objects… not quite sure why this feature is even there. 

Jeff: The Photoshop 3D import feature is not AE's long-term answer to the increasing demand for 3D geometry functionality (model import, extrusions, etc). Hopefully, that will be addressed with the depth and quality AE users expect, whenever it's possible in the future. It's a MAJOR development effort. This specific feature has a much narrower focus and was introduced because many users specifically asked for Photoshop 3D support. I remember discussing this in this very forum, and many users stated (before AE got this feature) that yes, they wanted this feature despite the limitations.