16 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2013 1:45 PM by trompetistasolitario

Premiere Pro crashes before opening

rlafoto1

Downloaded Premiere Pro and installed (multiple times) and the program starts to open then crashes.  I have been with Adobe tech service running through TechNote kb404915.  We stopped (today) after 4 hours at #11.  Nothing works so far.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit, Intel 2 Duo CPU P8400 @2.26GHz 2.27GHz, 4 GB Ram, 135 GB free disk space, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT (updated driver) with 512 MB dedicated memory.  I am running CS4 web premium without problems.

PPro and Encore crash, but Onlocation opens...

Thinking about Avid..

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro crashes before opening
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Keep thinking. In the mean time consider uninstalling and reinstalling. Don't forget to run Clean Script several times after uninstalling.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro crashes before opening
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

When PrPro starts to load, there is a tiny line of text, that appears in the Splash Screen. It goes by quickly, but shows what is loading. What is the last line of that text? Hint: if you cannot catch it (small and goes by quickly), set up a video camera, focused on the Splash Screen and just tape the loading process. Play back that tape, and Pause on the last line.

It is common, if one has a bunch of VST plug-ins, especially if they are instruments VST's, that one of these will stop PrPro from loading. Fortunately, if one keeps launching, PrPro will compile a list of all of the problem VST's, and blacklist them. Depending on how many of these you have, it might take several launches.

If it is a VST problem, be aware that there are basically three things that can happen with VST's:

1.) PrPro loads and can use them

2.) PrPro loads, but cannot use them (there will be a one-time message to that effect, but the presence of these will not affect anything)

3.) PrPro tries to load the VST, but it crashes the program. See above of the advice to keep relaunching to get that blacklist complete, and then it will launch and NOT attempt to load those blacklisted VST's.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro crashes before opening
              theSquire Level 1

Same thing happened last night. I've reinstalled four times. Once the entire creative suite! I've watched it go through it's launch and it crashes at "Solid Composite.AEX" I don't know what to do...I make a living with this. Is this how Adobe makes you upgrade? I'm running CS3.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro crashes before opening
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Considering that this is an AfterEffects effect module, I wonder if your installation of AE is smurfed.

Actually, with a good installation, the VST's are about the only things that normally stop PrPro from launching. It is not a common problem, at least not on this forum.

Good luck,

hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro crashes before opening
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's an older THREAD on that module. It seems that creating a new Administrator Account fixed it for one poster.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro crashes before opening
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is another older THREAD. Maybe something there will be helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro crashes before opening
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is one from the Creative Cow, and the new Administrator Account seems to have fixed things again.

Hope that something helps,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro crashes before opening
                        EckleySP Level 1

I have been working on a project that contains several multi-camera sequences.  All was working fine until I accepted updates (tonight) that were being offered to me from Adobe.   Now, I can't open the project - it just hangs.  I can open other projects (that do not contain multi-camera sequences). . .    Course, there's no way to UNDUE the updates. . . so I'm stuck.

Running Windows 7 64bit;  An INTEL i7 processor with 6 GB of RAM

btw - There is nothing wrong with simply executing Premiere Pro  - you get the 'welcome' screen; it hangs when I try to open this project.

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro crashes before opening
                          rlafoto1 Level 1

Hi All,

Thank you for your help.  I got it to work a few minutes ago.  I set up a new user account and gave it administrative control.  From the new user account I downloaded PrePro again.  The first time I tried to install the program it did not intall properly and gave an error report.  I restarted my computer and closed the firewall and virus protection and tried again.  It worked!!  I deleted the new user account and everything seems OK.

Thanks again for such a rapid response.

Randy

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro crashes before opening
                            theSquire Level 1

Same thing happened last night. I've reinstalled four times. Once the entire creative suite! I've watched it go through it's launch and it crashes at "Solid Composite.AEX" I don't know what to do...I make a living with this. Is this how Adobe makes you upgrade? I'm running CS3.

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro crashes before opening
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Above, I posted links to fixes for that exact crash on loading. Most found that creating a new Administrator Account and running from it solved their problems. Take a look at the discussions in those links.

Hope that they prove helpful to you, and good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro crashes before opening
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Did you follow the instructions? Clean Script etc.? If not, better prepare for a complete clean install of the system and programs. And fix your hardware problems. A single install on a properly setup system does it for most (99.99+%). If it doesn't for you, your system is whacky or you follow the wrong procedure to reinstall.

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro crashes before opening
                                  rlafoto1 Level 1

Hi,

As I reported last night setting up a new account and disabling virus/firewall protection worked...  There are 26 steps in Adobe technote "kb408983" and it was step number 11 (same as your last suggestion) that did it...

Randy

• 14. Re: Premiere Pro crashes before opening
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the Adobe KB Article link. I hope that the other poster will have the same success.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Premiere Pro crashes before opening
                                      theSquire Level 1

I have another computer that has the same suite on it and the suite  worked fine. That computer was not hooked up to the Internet. I hooked  it up for the first time and the Microsoft updates came flying in. Guess  what the exact same thing happened to my that computer..." Premiere Pro  crashes before opening", in the very same way. If  I access Premiere  from a new user on either computer I'm OK but it still sucks! Anyone  know what's going on?

Jerry

• 16. Re: Premiere Pro crashes before opening
                                        trompetistasolitario Level 1

Hi guys, sorry for opening this old post, but I tried doing the blacklist that you were speaking about, but I heard that it only goes well in Windows, not in Mac. My problem is that I can't open Premiere Pro cs4, because it crashes with music plugins, like WaveShell-VST 9.0.vst

I tried to do a lot of things, working with PlistEdit Pro, but I couldn't do anything. I have read all that you Bill Hunt posted in another posts. But its impossible.

Best regards