6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2010 7:38 PM by the_wine_snob

Converting MOV files to AVI-DV files

big sandy lake Level 1

Greetings, I have been reading the forums for a while now and have  seen some great advise and help from the community. So thanks in advance for your help. I have just completed building a new computer with an Intel quad core 9550 and 4 gig of high end ram, three hard drives of 250, 500 and 1000 gig. I plan to overclock a little. I purchased the combo Pre 8 and plan to put many of the Tips and Ticks to use on setting up the computer as well as the programs.  Here is my first question. I have had our family 8mm films that go back to 1946 converted via arial scanning to uncompressed MOV files. I will need to convert these to AVI-DV files for premier but which program will do the best job? I Steve recommends several in the fact section but is there a standout?         

Thanks,Tom

• 1. Re: Converting MOV files to AVI-DV files
          nealeh Level 5

Premiere Elements itself can do the conversion for you

• Import the .mov file into PRE
          • Place it on the timeline / sceneline
          • File> Export> Movie

Job done - PRE renders your clip and exports it in DV-AVI format.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Converting MOV files to AVI-DV files
            the_wine_snob Level 9

QuickTime Pro (US$39 upgrade/unlock) does a good job of converting almost every flavor of .MOV to DV-AVI. Just choose the DVC CODEC and 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV (uncompressed) for the Audio.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Converting MOV files to AVI-DV files
              big sandy lake Level 1

Thanks Neale and Hunt. But I guess what I'm asking is one faster than another  or is one superior in the final output  or do they  all conform to one standard?

• 4. Re: Converting MOV files to AVI-DV files
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, I have used very few of the recommended conversion programs. I tend to find one that works well for me, and then buy that. While I use QT Pro for MOV and MP4's to DV-AVI, I use DigitalMedia Converter for other formats/CODEC's to DV-AVI's, so do not experiment with others, so long as these work well for me.

Now, it's an apples to oranges (or maybe an Apples to oranges?) thing, but I do find QT Pro to be a bit on the slow side, even on my workstation. Still, the speed that I see with DMC is not a fair comparison, as I am usually working from Xvid, DivX, or some other odd format, and not .MOV, or MP4's.

Maybe others will have done the side-by-side, and can help you better.

Also, have you Imported the .MOV [Uncompressed] files into PrE? The reason that I ask is that I get a lot of MOV [Animation] files, and these Import and edit fine in PrPro, with no issues. I've just not worked with a lot of other MOV versions, to have the experience.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Converting MOV files to AVI-DV files
                  big sandy lake Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply Hunt. After reading so much about Pre working best with DV-AVI's I Thought that  was the way to go but you are right I will try the MOV's and see how thy work.

• 6. Re: Converting MOV files to AVI-DV files
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Both PrE and PrPro are designed around a DV-AVI workflow. When they were coded, miniDV was the "gold standard," regarding video capture. It is still very much in use, though several flash memory formats/CODEC's are making inroads, especially on the HD front.

Let us know how well these work in PrE. Like I mentioned, the .MOV [Animation] work fine. In my case, these come from animators on Mac's but do nicely on my PC's.

Good luck,

Hunt