6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2010 2:16 PM by em.ford

I give up on PE8! Is there a better vesion ie 7?

em.ford

After months of trying to work with PE8 I give up! I tried just about everything I could find in these forums, I phoned Adobe & tried all of the things they said & it still crashes every second or third key stroke! It takes over a minute just to delete a transition... now I give up! I used to use PE3 with minimal problems. Is there a more recent version that is any better? 

• 1. Re: I give up on PE8! Is there a better vesion ie 7?
          nealeh Level 5

I'm running both PSE7 and PRE7 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit with very few problems.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: I give up on PE8! Is there a better vesion ie 7?
            em.ford Level 1

Update: I have just spent another frustrating morning on the phone to Adobe for 1 1/2hr + trying to fix this. They wont refund me because I have been trying for more than 30days to fix this (sorry but I didn't do too much about it over xmas)! I have gone through everything they recommend. I have 4GB RAM, 1T Hard disk space, (Vista 32bit) all of my drivers are up to date, I don't have the graphics card mentioned in this forum, but the one I do have is up to date, all of my software is up to date, I have stopped (almost) all of my startup programs, I have switched off background rendering, I have deleted the 8.0 folder, I have emailed Adobe a few of my crash reports etc... after all of this the tech told me he had no more options, and he would elevate my problem to a higher tech! So now I'm still waiting!

When I try to work on my project it takes about 1min to delete a single cross-disolve transition. I then try to save the project which takes ages. It will let me do this 2 or 3 times then crashes!

Last night I gave up and reinstalled PE3, but even that is giving me grief! Everytime I start it now it asks me to register the product, which I do, and it says it's successful, but the next time it happens again!

I'm at my wits end! This is supposed to be a consumer product! It's Elements, not Pro! I'm not a professional movie maker, I just want to jazz up our holiday videos! I shouldn't need a degree in IT, and computer hardware to rival NASA to do it! Making great holiday vids for family & friends used to be fun! Now it's a chore! 

Do I give up, throw 3months work on my current project in the bin, & go back to using PE3? Do I keep wasting more time trying to fix PE8?

• 3. Re: I give up on PE8! Is there a better vesion ie 7?
              nealeh Level 5

Some posters on this forum have been able to get Adobe to provide a downgrade to version 7 pending any resolution of version 8 problems.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: I give up on PE8! Is there a better vesion ie 7?
                em.ford Level 1

Thanks Nealeh,

I'll try that. Until then, I've decided I'm going to use PRE3 to make the movies, then use PRE8 (or 7 if they'll give me that) to do a final tweak before I burn them. I used PRE3 last night and it worked fine without crashing. Bit of a shame for the current project I was working on (it doesn't seem to open in PRE3 cos I started it in 8), but I will just have to start over.

• 5. Re: I give up on PE8! Is there a better vesion ie 7?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Bit of a shame for the current project I was working on (it doesn't seem to open in PRE3 cos I started it in 8)

Yes, there is always some form of backward compatibility with Projects, but there is never any forward compatibility. It's the same in PrPro too. Older Projects into later versions usually work pretty well, but almost never the other way.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: I give up on PE8! Is there a better vesion ie 7?
                    em.ford Level 1

Thanks Bill.

Shouldn't take me too long to redo, esp cos 3 doesn't crash (so often), & it's fresh in my mind.