0 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2010 6:04 PM by waterdad568

Best practices

waterdad568 Level 3

In being confroted with problems, and then trying to solve them, certain other things appear. In developing with Flash I was confronted with an issue that brought to mind the way it should be done not neccessarily the way you get it to work, which brings me to my question. I have seen and read several things that have been done both ways in Flash, but I have not seen many .fla's to know whether what I'm doing, even though it works, is the best way.

I have built the same appearing flash "page" two different ways. Both seem to function equally well for what they need to do, however they are built two entirely different ways.

Build 1. Main timeline. Layer one, frame one, action layer, all code for everything here. Seperate stop and anchor layers. Many other objects on their own layers, manipulated through the time lines, tweened etc, all in a single scene, basically in one giant brickles block 70 or eighty layers deep, 400 frames long.

Build 2. Same number of layers for all objects on main timeline, same layer one action layer, but that and each successive layer is only one frame long on the main timeline. All other objects are manipulated in the own timelines with their own stop layers etc.

Both are almost the same size .fla result.

I can see the benefit of 1 because all is right there easy to manipulate and time.

2 however gives me more control over objects reuse, they are independant little clips, but is more difficult to time, you calculate timing instead of visually align.

What would be considered "best practices" or is it simply a case of what works?