5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2006 12:09 PM by BlindManDesigns

Updating Templates w/o creating new site.

BlindManDesigns
      Hello everyone, My names Mike and it seems I am the latest n00b to this forum board but have come here many times to search for information.

I have something to ask you guys that I haven't found any useful information for as of yet. I am currently using DW MX2004 v7.0. I have to update about... 300+ sites copyright dates from 200x to 2006. (it's a slow week here haha) Here is my question, I tried updating the templates for these sites by just opening there template page by browsing through windows then opening the .dwt file(s) for the site and/or the .ascx files for aspx sites... (which do update). The .dwt files do NOT update due to not opening/creating a new site directory in dreamweaver. I have looked around for several different ways to possibly get around this but have not found a way to do it.

If someone has a way to update these templates without creating a new site for every page it would save me a great deal of time...

Thanks in advance!

Mike
        • 1. Re: Updating Templates w/o creating new site.
          Level 7
          Dreamweaver Templates work design time, in dreamweaver, only if they are in
          a folder named Templates that is at the root level of a defined site's
          Local Site Folder.

you will have to create Site Definitions for these sites.

otherwise, use a good text editor's find and replace. And realize that if
          the templates are ever used again, things are going to revert or botch up.

• 2. Re: Updating Templates w/o creating new site.
            BlindManDesigns Level 1
            Alright I thought this would be the case. It's quite a lot of tedious work but everything else has slowed down since the 4th here so we are digging around for small changes to do.
            • 3. Re: Updating Templates w/o creating new site.
              Level 7
              If you are in a production shop, after you define a site, consider using the
              Export button in the Define Sites dialog box to create .ste site definition
              backup files. Then you can store all the .ste files in a common place (or
              possibly within each site's folder as long as they aren't uploaded) so you
              or other folks there can use the Import button to quickly get a site defined
              in dw.

> Alright I thought this would be the case. It's quite a lot of tedious work
              > but everything else has slowed down since the 4th here so we are digging
              > around for small changes to do.

• 4. Re: Updating Templates w/o creating new site.
                jeremyluby Level 3
                I would recommend making your copyright dates dynamic anyway. This will save you from having to do this every year.

You can do this in a variety of ways from javascript to server-side scripting.
                • 5. Re: Updating Templates w/o creating new site.
                  BlindManDesigns Level 1
                  We are using javascript for any new sites that are coming in to avoid this in the future. most of the sites I am updating now are several years old. All high priority sites such as the maryland zoo.org and so forth have been changed over.

We are starting to get a lot of redesigns coming in too from some of these 3 to 4 year old sites.

This field is crazy. I have been doing this job for over 1/2 year now and have gotten fulltime status. No matter how much I learn I just see how much more I don't know about things... great industry to be in though I love it.

Thanks for your help. I will have to spend some time at home and go through some of the post on here to get better aquainted with everything.

Later!

Mike