20 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2010 1:21 PM by Fmdpa2

Ripple Filter Update

Fmdpa2 Level 1

In  using CS4, I have found one major thing that I would like updated in CS5. That is, the ripple filter. I'd like to see something that makes realistic ripples in CS5. Sure, I can download plug-ins, but I'd rather have the current filter updated.

• 1. Re: Ripple Filter Update
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

I don’t know about »realistic« here, but isn’t that also one of the Filters without Preview in the image window?

So it probably could use an update anyway.

• 2. Re: Ripple Filter Update
            Fmdpa2 Level 1

There are two ripple filters:  "Ocean Ripple" and plain "Ripple". The

Ocean Ripple filter has a preview, but the preview of the Ripple filter

is just in that little preview window, not in the image window. Yes, the

Ripple filter could receive an update in that respect, but regardless of

previews, neither of them look the way I want (realistic).

• 3. Re: Ripple Filter Update
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Which third party-Filters or PlugIns do You think produce the closest to what You are looking for realism-wise?

Or could You give an example (with screenshots possibly) of where You find the Photoshop Filters fall most significantly short of Your expectations?

I suspect You may be looking for something with more of a perspectival sensibility.

• 4. Re: Ripple Filter Update
                Fmdpa2 Level 1

Here's an example. The ocean ripple

filter looks the closest to real, but it just looks like a calm lake on

a breezy day. The other one isn't even anything like water. I have a

photo of real water in the middle.. The randomness of the ripples would

be very hard to achieve in a filter, but the most realistic thing I've

found is a plug-in from Flaming Pear, called the Wave (correction: Flood) filter. It doesn't

do a bad job of it, but I am very dissappointed with these PS filters.

Ripple Examples.jpg

Message was edited by: Fmdpa2

• 5. Re: Ripple Filter Update
                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

I think I’ve seen Flaming Pear’s filter and it did indeed produce fine results.

But the current Filters in question are, if I understand it correctly, intended more toward simulating the distorsions water would produce on top of matter (at perpendicular view), whereas »Flood« simulates the reflection on the surface of a body of water at a »side-view«.

Which can – with some time/effort – be roughly approximated with standard Photoshop-Filters, Displace comes to mind:

Edit: see attachment

Not that You asked for such an explanation or necessarily need it, but I still wanted to point it out …

Nonetheless I would certainly welcome the addition of something like the Flood-Filter to the standard Filters.

• 6. Re: Ripple Filter Update
                    Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

This is ridiculous. You are misunderstanding what Photoshop filters are, and what their function is.The Ripple filter is not called 'Water Ripples', for a reason; thats not what its intended to do. Photoshops filters are mostly designed to upset, and work on 2D surfaces in a relatively simple way.

Realsitic water reflections are to do with light, and how how light reflects off a 3D translucent surface - in perspective. If you have no visualisation, painting skills (which its fair to assume) then 3D software, with Ray Tracing and random generators, is more what you would need.

As C. Pfaffenbichler has demonstrated,  its possible to devise series of filters and transforms in Photoshop that will create a similar looking thing. These can be Actioned - but if you have no understanding of the visual issues, it would be difficult for you to go through this process.

• 7. Re: Ripple Filter Update
                      Fmdpa2 Level 1
                      function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

This is ridiculous. You are misunderstanding what Photoshop filters are, and what their function is.The Ripple filter is not called 'Water Ripples', for a reason; thats not what its intended to do. Photoshops filters are mostly designed to upset, and work on 2D surfaces in a relatively simple way.

Realsitic water reflections are to do with light, and how how light reflects off a 3D translucent surface - in perspective. If you have no visualisation, painting skills (which its fair to assume) then 3D software, with Ray Tracing and random generators, is more what you would need.

As C. Pfaffenbichler has demonstrated,  its possible to devise series of filters and transforms in Photoshop that will create a similar looking thing. These can be Actioned - but if you have no understanding of the visual issues, it would be difficult for you to go through this process.

Yes, the ripple filters in PS might not be meant to look realistic, however, why don't they have an additional realistic ripple filter. c.pfaffenbichler, could you explain to me how you did that displacement? That's almost exactly what I want. In the past, I have put a photo of real water over the reflection in a separate layer, then adjusted the opacity to make it look like real water, but then the reflection is still not displaced.

• 8. Re: Ripple Filter Update
                        Reynolds (Mark) Level 4
                        , why don't they have an additional realistic ripple filter.

… Same reason they dont have a "Make Realistic Faces" filter, or a "Lets create 400 additional filters that people use once in a lifetime" plug in.

could you explain to me how you did that displacement?

Thats a displacement map, as C? has already said. A very quick use of Google, which you could have done yourself, brings up these tutorials -

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-effects/water-reflection/page-4.php

http://www.photoshopstar.com/effects/realistic-view-water-reflection/

Unless c.pfaffenbichler wants to provide you with a "Deprive Me Of Any Work that I Might Learn Anything From" filter.

• 9. Re: Ripple Filter Update
                          Fmdpa2 Level 1

Thanks for those links Mark. I never thought to google it. I try to learn as much as I can about PS, since I'm relatively new to CS4 (came from Elements).  Displacement mapping was one of the things I never took the time to figure out, since I didn't see any reason to at the time. I'll see what I can come up with.

• 10. Re: Ripple Filter Update
                            Fmdpa2 Level 1

c.pfaffenbichler, could you explain to me how you created that displacement map?

• 11. Re: Ripple Filter Update
                              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Basically it’s Add Noise applied to the R- and G-channels separately, blown up, perspectively transformed, (motion-)blurred and a 50% grey gradient on top …

When it comes to generating (pseudo-)random structures the Filters »Add Noise« and »Clouds« often provide a good starting point.

• 12. Re: Ripple Filter Update
                                Fmdpa2 Level 1

Thanks. I'll try that.

• 13. Re: Ripple Filter Update
                                  Fmdpa2 Level 1

Ok. I created a displacement map almost identical to yours (I figured that part out!). I saved it as a one-layer PSD, and went to the original file (that I'm trying to apply the ripple to). I went to filter>distort>displace, and set the displacement to "stretch to fit" and "repeat edge pixels". The horizontal distortion was set to 0, and the vertical distortion was set to 4 (I also tried 10). The displacement map was the same size as the canvas I was originally working on (3888px X 2592px) Now when I applied the displacement map I had created, I got nothing but a very minor stretch. Absolutely NO ripples. Do you see where my error is?

• 14. Re: Ripple Filter Update
                                    c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Try much larger values for both directions, one can go over 100 by the way.

And if one applies the Filter as a Smart Filter one can retain editability for experimentation.

• 15. Re: Ripple Filter Update
                                      Fmdpa2 Level 1

Thanks, I'll give that a try too.

• 16. Re: Ripple Filter Update
                                        Fmdpa2 Level 1

Thanks so much! I was just able to use a higher value, and the result

was so realistic that it scared me. LOL

• 17. Re: Ripple Filter Update
                                          Fmdpa2 Level 1

BTW, even though I have figured out how to use displacement maps to

create water ripples, I am still suggesting a realistic water ripple

filter in CS5. It would be much less tedious (being able to preview the

effect, and not having to create the displacement map).

• 18. Re: Ripple Filter Update
                                            c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Some additional advice: Don’t forget to store the Displacement Maps with the respective layered Files and possibly name them accordingly to allow for easy reference later on.

• 19. Re: Ripple Filter Update
                                              Fmdpa2 Level 1

Thanks. I've been doing that, more or less.

• 20. Re: Ripple Filter Update
                                                Fmdpa2 Level 1

Another question about the displacement maps. How do you create it with

the perspective distortion, but so it fills the entire screen, yet while

maintaining the entire perspective (not cropping off the "far" or "near"

part)?