6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2010 1:20 PM by the_wine_snob

Moving tracks/changing the order of tracks

reptile_smile

Hmm - I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here.

One of the great and really useful things about Premiere Elements is the unlimited tracks thing, but I can't work out how to move the tracks around.  Can I change the order?  If I have ten video tracks, how can I can all of the footage in one track on to another track?  And how can I change the order of the tracks?

Cheers all

• 1. Re: Moving tracks/changing the order of tracks
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, you can just drag the footage from one track to another.

But, as for the tracks themselves -- no. You can't move the tracks around.

• 2. Re: Moving tracks/changing the order of tracks
            nealeh Level 5

reptile_smile wrote:

And how can I change the order of the tracks?

As Steve says, you cannot move the tracks around. But you can rename them and hide unused tracks (audio and/or video).

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Moving tracks/changing the order of tracks
              reptile_smile Level 1

But this is the thing - what if I have 20 video tracks, and I want to move footage from the bottom one to the top one.  I can drag the footage - fine.  But my screen doesn't scroll up when I drag them (it scrolls from side to side but not up and down) - so I have to move it from track to track to track.  Seriously?  If this is true, what's the point in having unlimited tracks?

• 4. Re: Moving tracks/changing the order of tracks
                the_wine_snob Level 9

As has been stated, you cannot move the Tracks around directly, but you can Add Tracks, and Delete Tracks. This ARTICLE will step you through some of the possibilities. You cannot get the same exact layout as in PrPro (I really like THAT layout, but half the users want to make it like the one in PrE!), but you can alter what appears, and how.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Moving tracks/changing the order of tracks
                  nealeh Level 5

Not ideal I agree but I guess the designers thought that anyone needing twenty tracks would be few and far between in PRE as they would probably go with PRPro.

There are a couple of workarounds.

• If you are in the standard workspace (Window> Restore Workspace) you can increase the 'My  Project' pane height.
                  • If you turn on docking headers (Window> Show docking headers) you can make the 'My Project' pane a floating window.

timeline.jpg

So to move the video track from, say Video 1 to Video 20, you may have to make a couple of intermediate pastes and cuts to move it up the track list.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Moving tracks/changing the order of tracks
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

It's too bad that PrE does not allow for Track Targeting, like PrPro (Feature Request time?), as one can place the CTI where you want it, use Ctrl+X (Cut), scroll to the Targeted Track, say #20, and press Ctrl+V (Paste).

Having worked on PrPro Projects with up to 48 Audio Tracks, I have to admit that I like the layout of that program much better, but then I am used to using it too.

Good luck,

Hunt