15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2010 7:28 AM by the_wine_snob

I would like to cut this huge file in more than one file

reneoertel@gmx.ch Level 1

I had a old Camcorder with Tape. Now i transfered this tape as Vidoe File on my computer as one File (mp4). This is now a very big File. I would like to cut this huge file in more than one file. I prefere to make for each scene a own Video File. How can i do this with Premiere Elements.

• 1. Re: I would like to cut this huge file in more than one file
          nealeh Level 5

Your definition of 'big' and 'huge' is probably far more modest than you realise.

• You say your camcorder is old - what make and model?
          • What type of tape does it use?
          • What did you use to get it converted from tape to MP4? MP4 is a dreadful format for editing. It is highly compressed and not intended for editing.
          • Do you get a choice of formats when importing to to your PC? Ideally you should bring the footage in as DV-AVI - this produces files of around 10GB per hour and is the format PRE is best designed for.

Once you have split your film into scenes use the Workbar area to select only a single scene and use File> Export> Movie (in PRE8 this may be on the Share menu). It produces a DV-AVI of just the area you selected. This requires no additional software

Personally I use Movies on DVD from Magix to import my VHS tapes and split into scenes. It then allows me to export the entire film into individual DV-AVI Type 2 - one file per scene. These are perfect for PRE.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: I would like to cut this huge file in more than one file
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a look at setting the WAB (Work Area Bar) to just a section of your Timeline:

WAB_Info_01.jpg

When you got to Export/Share, there will be two radio buttons. One is Work Area (the one you want), and the other is for the Entire Project.

You just name and set the destination location of the Exported/Shared file. I would suggest using DV-AVI, so that it can easily be edited later on.

I also agree with Neale, that MP4 is not the best format/CODEC to convert your tape to, prior to Import. It is heavily compressed to begin with, and PrE has to do extra work to edit it, because it uses a GOP (Group of Pictures) structure. See this ARTICLE for more background on GOP.

Hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: I would like to cut this huge file in more than one file

Thanks for info

I have the File also in vbo-Format. But my Mediaplayer (Playstation 3) does not support the vbo-Format. That is the reason why i converted it into mp4.

The Mediaplayer the following Formats, which Format would you recomand? (It has to work with PRE and Playstation)

Memory Stick-Videoformat

• - MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
              • - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
              • - MPEG-2 TS (H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)

MP4-Dateiformat

• - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)

MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)

MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3 (Dolby Digital), LPCM)

MPEG-2 TS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AC3 (Dolby Digital), AAC LC)

MPEG-2 TS (H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)

AVI

• - Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
              • - Motion JPEG (μ-Law)

AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)

DivX

WMV

• - VC-1(WMA Standard V2)
              • 4. Re: I would like to cut this huge file in more than one file
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, you are starting with VOB "wrapped" material. This is MPEG-2, inside the VOB "container." I would leave it as an MPEG-2, or convert this to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio (the absolute best format/CODEC to edit), and when edited, Export/Share to the format/CODEC that you PS2 can handle. There is nothing to be gained, and much to be lost, by converting to the format for the PS2, until AFTER you have edited the footage. That is where you determine the necessary display settings. Again, if you are planning on doing more editing with the "pieces," that you have created, I would first Export/Share to DV-AVI Type II, for that purpose, and then do a second Export/Share for playback on the PS2, probably using the H.264 CODEC.

Hunt

• 5. Re: I would like to cut this huge file in more than one file
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For that VOB material, this ARTICLE should give you first some background on them, and also tips on handling them.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 6. Re: I would like to cut this huge file in more than one file

Hi Hunt

Thanks for helping me...

Where can i see if it is AVI Type I or Type II? I have a Vidoe Converter Program where i can choose different *.avi Files, but i don't no which one i have to tak for having AVI Type II (see Attachment). Can you help me?

Greetings from switzerland

René

• 7. Re: I would like to cut this huge file in more than one file
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

From that drop-down, the AVI - Audio & Video Interleave should yield another Settings, or maybe Advanced, dialog screen. There, you should be able to choose the Compression/CODEC and it would be the MS-DV CODEC. Also, you should be able to choose the Audio specs., and you will want 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV (often called "Uncompressed" in some interfaces).

If you have any questions on the output file, the free utility, G-Spot, will tell you exactly what you got. Note that PrE can handle most DV-AVI Type I files, just like the Type II's. There is a Duration/file size limit on Type I's, but it's pretty large. Also, there have been instances of OOS (Out Of Sync) issues with Type I's, but that is much more often with PrPro, than PrE. Even if these crop up, they are constant OOS, so can be fixed very easily.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: I would like to cut this huge file in more than one file

Where can i find the Export/Share possibility. I can't fin

d it in the Menu or a Button

• 9. Re: I would like to cut this huge file in more than one file
                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The Share options are under the green Share tab.

• 10. Re: I would like to cut this huge file in more than one file
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's a look at the Share tab from PrE 4. It will be similar in PrE 8 (think there is an additional tab in the lineup there):

PE_Share_Tab_01.jpg

Hunt

• 11. Re: I would like to cut this huge file in more than one file

ok, i think with your help now i will find the right way. Just to be sure (

my englisch is not as good). I attached a list with the Video Codecs i can choose in PSE. Which one should i take? Thanks also for Gspot. I have to check this program. It seems a little bit complicate (the first time). Anyway i did make a Print Screen, you can see in the attached file. Thanks for help!

• 12. Re: I would like to cut this huge file in more than one file
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

For Exporting/Sharing to use in future Projects, either the DV NTSC, or DV PAL (depending on where you live), would be the one to choose. That will yield a DV AVI Type II file w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio (often referred to as "Uncompressed"). Name those, as you desire, and set the destination folder, as needed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: I would like to cut this huge file in more than one file

Is it also possible to put more than one Work Area. With other words: Can i create more then one AVI-File in one run or can i set more then one InPoint and OutPointBracket?

It would be mutch easyer for me to do this in one run. Because i will make with one big File about 50 Files (one File for each scene)

• 14. Re: I would like to cut this huge file in more than one file
                                    nealeh Level 5

reneoertel@gmx.ch wrote:

Is it also possible to put more than one Work Area. With other words: Can i create more then one AVI-File in one run or can i set more then one InPoint and OutPointBracket?

I don't think so.

reneoertel@gmx.ch wrote:

It would be mutch easyer for me to do this in one run. Because i will make with one big File about 50 Files (one File for each scene)

That's why I use Magix Movies on DVD to do the initial scene splitting. It contains a batch export function that can export each scene as a separate DV-AVI Type 2 file.

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale
                                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 15. Re: I would like to cut this huge file in more than one file
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

You are correct that PrE (and PrPro) only has one WAB. One must do each Export/Share incrementally.

Interesting about the Magix program. I have their MovieEdit Pro, but have not seen the Movies on DVD. However, I use PrPro for most work, and while it does not have multiple WAB's does have Sequences, which are like mini-Projects. Still, in my version, it's one Sequence at a time. CS4 added the ability to load up Adobe Media Encoder with multiple Sequences (and even Projects) and do "batch" Export. Thanks for mentioned the capability of the Magix program. Learned something new!

Hunt