9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2010 9:49 AM by the_wine_snob

Encore CS4 Crashes on Startup

Lewis James Nine Level 1

Hello;

I purchased Adobe CS4 not long ago and have been using the video editing application for a while.  I now want to learn how to use Encore CS4.  At first I was able to launch it OK and initiate "New Project".  I also accessed Adobe's excellent tutorials on-line and started following instructions as to how to author a DVD.  However, there were two problems.

The first is that, when I tried to access any of the drop-down menues on the lower right of the panel, there were no choices whatsoever under any of them.  The tutorial showed many choices under "Menues" but not when I try it.  Why do I not see any choices?

The second problem is that, after launching Encore, it either freezes when I try to import an asset into the panel or it crashes as soon as I try to access my project.   Can someone help me, please?!

Thanks.

Lewis

• 1. Re: Encore CS4 Crashes on Startup
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Be a lot more specific and illustrate with screenshots when you post in the Encore forum.

• 2. Re: Encore CS4 Crashes on Startup
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Lewis,

You might want to also post to the Encore Forum.

In the meantime, please tell us more about the Assets that you are trying to Import into Encore - more details the better.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Encore CS4 Crashes on Startup
              Lewis James Nine Level 1

OK.  My problem now is viewing objects in the library panel in Encore so I can create a menu. You can see in the attached screen shot the library panel in the bottom right of the screen.  According to instructions in "Help", all I have to do to create a predetermined menu is to:

"...select the set you want to view from the Set menu, and then click any of the icons to display the items for that type."

However, when I click on any of those icons, nothing drops down.  Why not?

Many thanks for any light you can thrown on this for me!

Lewis

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 11:00:07 -0700

To: [address removed in case of member privacy concerns]

Subject: Premiere Pro Encore CS4 Crashes on Startup

Be a lot more specific and illustrate with screenshots when you post in the Encore forum.

>

• 4. Re: Encore CS4 Crashes on Startup
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Lewis,

There aren't any screenshots attached.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: Encore CS4 Crashes on Startup
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Lewis,

If you do not see any Assets in the Library, then it could well be that they are not installed, or perhaps the link to the Library Assets is broken.

Did you install from a download, or from a DVD? If you ARE missing the Assets, the approach will differ slightly, depending on what you installed from. If from a downloaded file(s), this Encore FAQ Entry will be useful.

I also cannot find any attachment. Hint: use the little "camera" icon on the editing page's Toolbar (lower-middle):

Adobe_Forum_Image.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Encore CS4 Crashes on Startup
                    Lewis James Nine Level 1

Bill, you were 100% correct.  I followed your advice and, lo!  The library assets were indeed not installed so, using the instructions the link you provided gave me, I installed them and I am now in business.  You guys are an incredible help.  A thousand thanks to you and to the others who responded to my plea!

Kindest regards, Lewis

Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 09:33:46 -0700

To: lbeck9@hotmail.com

Subject: Encore CS4 Crashes on Startup

Lewis,

If you do not see any Assets in the Library, then it could well be that they are not installed, or perhaps the link to the Library Assets is broken.

Did you install from a download, or from a DVD? If you ARE missing the Assets, the approach will differ slightly, depending on what you installed from. If from a downloaded file(s), this http://forums.adobe.com/thread/398764?tstart=0 will be useful.

I also cannot find any attachment. Hint: use the little "camera" icon on the editing page's Toolbar (lower-middle):

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/18829/Adobe_Forum_Image.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 7. Re: Encore CS4 Crashes on Startup
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      The library assets were indeed not installed so, using the instructions the link you provided gave me, I installed them and I am now in business.

Great news! With the download versions, I think that maybe the full instructions could either be made more clear, or that the installer could end with a big notation that the Functional Content has not been installed yet, and to do so, the user will need to _______ .

With the DVD installation, the Functional Content SHOULD be installed, but for unknown reasons, will not in a few instances. Still, when this happens, I'd suggest that Adobe add a pop-up (so long as pop-up blockers are turned OFF ) telling the user of this, and giving explicit instructions.

Most of all, I am glad that you got the Functional Content and are busy authoring. Thank you for reporting your success.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Encore CS4 Crashes on Startup
                        Lewis James Nine Level 1

Bill, you are so right.  Adobe definitely would be doing its customers a big favour by doing as you suggest.  We should suggest this to them; I think I'll do just that.

Thanks again. 

Lewis

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:11:53 -0700

To: lbeck9@hotmail.com

Subject: Encore CS4 Crashes on Startup

The library assets were indeed not installed so, using the instructions the link you provided gave me, I installed them and I am now in business.

Great news! With the download versions, I think that maybe the full instructions could either be made more clear, or that the installer could end with a big notation that the Functional Content has not been installed yet, and to do so, the user will need to

• 9. Re: Encore CS4 Crashes on Startup
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is the Feature Request Form. I have already sent in my "feature request" for the last several versions of the installer for Encore.

Even though Adobe probably buys a packaged installer, they should be able to add a text message, or pop-up to notify the user.

With PrElements, if the Functional Content is NOT installed, upon launch, the program notifies the user that an abbreviated version of the Functional Content is installed, but to get full functionality, they WILL need to install the rest. Similar would be useful, IMHO.

Good luck,

Hunt