5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2010 9:59 AM by Saxplayer0815

How to import AVCHD from Sony cx105 camera

Jamesusillxd

I am using Adobe Premier Pro CS4 and would like to know

how to set it up to import and edit video from my sony cx105 camera.
      I am new to Premiere. What are the settings/ presets etc. that i need to do so?
      When i have imported it from an AVCHD 1080p25 setting when i try to play the
      video it appers to be playing but is incredibly laggy and just stops.
      I assume this to be more down to lack of knowledge then a problem with anything,
      As both the camera, software and laptop are new.

Laptop: Dell Inspiron running with Windows Vista Home Basic.

• 1. Re: How to import AVCHD from Sony cx105 camera
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          I assume this to be more down to lack of knowledge then a problem with anything,
          As both the camera, software and laptop are new.

You are wrong!. It does not matter that your notebook is new, it is underpowered for AVCHD editing. Run the http://ppbm4.com benchmark, report the results to Bill and post them here as well (or PM them to me) and you will likely see that your notbook is just not up to the requirements of AVCHD editing.

Report your benchmark results and we can easily discern whether your system is up to the task or not.

• 2. Re: How to import AVCHD from Sony cx105 camera
            cfinlayson

Hi James,

Can you tell us some more about your computer's hardware?

What is you processor,

How much RAM,

HDD size,

What type of graphics adapter and how much memory is allocated, and whether that memory is shared or dedicated?

Are you running any other Adobe programs, like Photoshop, After Effects, or Audition at the same time?

I know that the System Requirements do not list Windows Vista Home Basic, but that's not to say you can't get it to run, and run fine, but the combination of factors could choke your system, especially if you are scrubbing HD video.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/

Chris

• 3. Re: How to import AVCHD from Sony cx105 camera
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Chris, these minimum requirements are way below a comfortable editing experience.

• 4. Re: How to import AVCHD from Sony cx105 camera
                the_wine_snob Level 9

As has been stated, working with AVCHD is very highly CPU intensive - more so than almost any other format/CODEC. Most recommend a fast Quad-core as the absolute minimum, but I would up that to a very fast i7 and maybe the very latest version.

Also, on most laptops, the I/O sub-system, i.e. the HDD's is not efficient for NLE work. Two fast, physical HDD's is the minimum, with three fast, physical HDD's being even better. Most laptops only have one HDD and it's often a 5400 RPM unit.

You are unlikely to get good playback and smooth editing with AVCHD material on all but very extreme laptops, set up for NLE work.

Sorry for the bad news, but good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How to import AVCHD from Sony cx105 camera
                  Saxplayer0815

Hello,

I am brand new to this forum

this is quite an interesting topic since I have the same camera.

First of all I am not sure about the format to use when importing.I don´t use the full resolution. Only second best. So that would be AVCHD SP

It seems AVCHD 1920x1080i25p is the way to go to import. BTW What is the difference beetween anamorphic and the other non anmorphic format?

Premiere Pro (CS4) shows it properly indeed and Playback is not so much of an issue since I have a new MacBook Pro with 4 GB Ram.

But then when it comes to exporting again I am not sure what format / codec to use. There are too many really

My aim is to format for youtube so I choose the H.265 Codec with a YouTube preset.

(it would be nice to have a hiqh quality DVD copy of the video. Again I don´t know what format is appropriate.)

On playing back Quicktime shows it to me squeezed in 4:3 format although it is 16:9

The VLC player plays it right but there is a black border.... I would like to have it fullscreen in Youtube if possible

I really appreciate your thoughts....

Thanks a lot

Georges