3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2010 1:51 PM by kglad

saving local data in flash

I'm using Flash CS4 & Actionscript 3.0 to create a grid with different objects that a user can move with the mouse. This is a standalone application meant to be used on a Windows machine. Is there a way to download and save the user's responses (viz. location of mouse, type of object clicked, etc.) onto the local computer without using the Flash Debugger?

I came across an article
      (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/fplayer10_security_changes_03.html) which states that it is possible to save local data onto a user's computer without a backend script (e.g. php) in Flash Player 10 but the article doesn't really say how this is done.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: saving local data in flash
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you can use the sharedobject class.

• 2. Re: saving local data in flash
            Neo001 Level 1

Essentially, what I'm trying to do is record which object the user clicks, where he drops it (within the grid), how long it takes, etc. Currently, I'm just using the "trace" command alongwith the flash debugger to write it to a text file. However, using the debugger is not really conducive in the long run. Ideally, I'd just like to write the data to a text file in the form of name variable pairs that could be read by statistical packages like Excel or SPSS.

I've created the interactive grid but am stuck on the data part. I don't really need the application to re-read the data once the user finishes, so using "shared objects" may not be ideal.

Any suggestions?

• 3. Re: saving local data in flash
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

if this is going to be deployed on user computers and not web-based and, you want to create a file readable outside flash, you'll need to use adobe air or some flash wrapper program.