10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2010 12:08 PM by the_wine_snob

Best format for pics thats compatable with PE3

jmfoshee

I'm scannig in some photos and stuff for a project and wondering what is th best format to save the pictures as. This scanner offers several different formats, jpeg, bitmap, tiff, just to name a few. Alot of the stuff is old newspaper clippings so picture "quality" is not as important as if it were the last photo of Grandma before she past away, but some will be old photos.  Also the scanner offers a DPI setting what should this be set at? All help appreciated. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Best format for pics thats compatable with PE3
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For this sort of work, I use TIFF at the highest bit-depth that the scanner, and its software, will allow, plus at the highest resolution. These will be big files, but that is the way that it is.

I then take the images into Photoshop and do the necessary work on the highest rez files that I can get. I do a Save_As to .PSD with all Layers and Adjustment Layers. When done, I drop the bit-depth to 8-bit, resize to the video Frame Size, and Save_As .PSD. TIFF would work too. I am less a fan of JPEG, but others find no problem, and the files are smaller. Here is an ARTICLE on using some automation in PS to resize the images for video.

Good luck with your Project,

Hunt

PS - forgot to mention the resolution. In video, this does not matter, but my Actions in PS for resizing are set to drop it to 72 ppi, but I start with the highest available, whether 1200, or 2400. I do not use any interpolation, so the ppi/dpi will be the highest physical (not software) resolution available.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt -  Added PS

• 2. Re: Best format for pics thats compatable with PE3
            Kodebuster Level 3

I'm also a fan of PSD and would like use it as my default output for Photos.

The thing that bothers me is that the Windows File Manager (Windows Explorer) will not display them as Thumbnails.

This really becomes a hassle when your working with a large number of pix inside the File Manager and you can't Manage them visually as a Thumbnail, but are fumbling around trying to pick the correct photo by a File Name.

Which is why I also find myself using PSD within Photoshop,  and saving all my scanned processed photos with Jpeg or Tiff as the default.

At the end of the day if your target for photos is the PE video editor, you have to reduce the resolution on photos anyway, or you end up with all kinds of issues with PE hanging, crashing, or frozen stiff as a board...

• 3. Re: Best format for pics thats compatable with PE3
              nealeh Level 5

jmfoshee wrote:

This scanner offers several different formats, jpeg, bitmap, tiff, just to name a few.

Bitmap, Tiff, and PSD are all 'lossless' formats. Jpeg is a lossy format so that everytime you edit and save you are losing detail.

Personally I edit in PSD format until satisfied. I then save as TIFF using ZIP compression.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Best format for pics thats compatable with PE3
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Kodebuster,

This one goes way back. Windows used to have/use the psicon.dll to display PSD's. About ME/Win2K, it was removed. One could still find it, and place it in the \\\\System32 folder, IIRC. However, with about XP it caused all sorts of issues. Why MS, in conjunction with Adobe, has not fixed this is a big mystery to me. Might be more going on "under the hood," than meets the eye.

I use Adobe Bridge, and ThumbsPlus, as my file managers for image or AV files, and seldom rely on the thumbnail view in Windows Explorer, but it would be nice to get the PSD's back, as they once displayed. We can hope, I suppose, but with 2 more OS versions off the shelf, does not look like MS is interested.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Best format for pics thats compatable with PE3
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

How does the ZIP-compressed TIFF work for you with PrE? I use LZW compression for archival TIFF's, but do not compress, when going to any other program, or shipping out to a client. I would assume that LZW is more universal now (don't know about ZIP, especially with Mac's), but going way back, I had some issues with compressed TIFF's and pre-press houses, that did not have PS installed. When one is working on their own PC system, things like compression are a lot less critical, than when shipping out to a client, printer or pre-press house.

Just curious,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Best format for pics thats compatable with PE3
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I wouldn't bother to use one of the compressions with a TIF. If you're going to use a TIF, you might as well use it uncompressed.

If you're going to compress your photos, you might as well just use a JPEG. As Neale points out, there is some quality loss if you resave them compressed several times -- but just saving them once (especially at high quality) and using them in video you shouldn't have any noticeable quality loss.

• 7. Re: Best format for pics thats compatable with PE3
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I agree. The only time that I use any form of image compression is for my internal archiving, or when I am delivering to a client, and I KNOW that they have and will use Photoshop to open the image. Otherwise, all is uncompressed in my workflow. Since I am usually taking my TIFF's (from scans) into PS, and adjusting/manipulating them there, I just leave everything in PSD (Saving a Layered version, then Flattening, if I do not need to animate the Layers). One less step for me, and PrE/PrPro has never balked at handling my PSD's (resized of course).

Hunt

• 8. Re: Best format for pics thats compatable with PE3
                        nealeh Level 5

the_wine_snob wrote:

Neale,

How does the ZIP-compressed TIFF work for you with PrE?

Works fine. Every image viewer/editor on my system can read zip compressed tiffs so no problems at all. If I needed to send a file elsewhere I would save it uncompressed to avoid potential problems for the recipient.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale

• 9. Re: Best format for pics thats compatable with PE3
                          nealeh Level 5

Steve Grisetti wrote:

I wouldn't bother to use one of the compressions with a TIF. If you're going to use a TIF, you might as well use it uncompressed.

I'm miserly with my disk space! As both the LZW and ZIP tiff compressions are lossless I prefer using them on my system.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

• 10. Re: Best format for pics thats compatable with PE3
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Thank you for that. I have just never used it. As many of my clients, and also suppliers, are on Mac, I shy away from ZIP. There have been problems with ZIP on that platform, and that's why Adobe, and others, have gone to the more X-platform 7Z format for compression/archiving.

Appreciated,

Hunt