4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2010 8:05 PM by yokota69

PDF Search function

yokota69

I had 2249 pages of old military base newspapers scanned

onto a DVD, into folders by years and then by weeks. The company that scanned then said the DVD did not have enough memory on 1DVD  for the seach function to work. now that i have the DVD can i make a new DVD with only 1 years of scans per DVD so maybe the search function will work? I have adobe reader 9 and have windows7 system. I hope someone can help me. with 2249 pages i want tobe able to use the search function.

• 1. Re: PDF Search function
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

yokota69 wrote:

The company that scanned then said the DVD did not have enough memory on 1DVD  for the seach function to work.

Hmmm. Never heard of that before. Not sure why they told you that.

The one problem I see would be that they are scans which are just images of text but probably contain no text to search for.

That is unless they have run OCR (Optical Character Recognition) on the scans to convert the images to text. Other than that, search won't work no matter what you do.

• 2. Re: PDF Search function
            yokota69 Level 1

Yes i bet they just scanned the image like you said.  how do i do the  OCR

so that it will work?

Mike Skidmore 

In a message dated 1/20/2010 9:10:45 P.M. Central Standard Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

• 3. Re: PDF Search function
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

yokota69 wrote:

Yes i bet they just scanned the image like you said.  how do i do the  OCR

so that it will work?

Mike Skidmore 

You would need an application that has the ability to do OCR. Adobe Acrobat can do it or there are other companies that make dedicated OCR applications such as http://finereader.abbyy.com/.

If you don't have the need for all of the other features of Adobe Acrobat, FineReader will be a cheaper purchase.

• 4. Re: PDF Search function
                yokota69 Level 1

thanks for the help

Mike Skidmore 

In a message dated 1/20/2010 9:46:53 P.M. Central Standard Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

Adobe  Acrobat