12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2010 1:48 PM by Peter Sgouros

After Effects CS4 OSX - Can't run it, can't install, can't un-install?

RKeller9

MacbookPro, OSX 10.5.8

After Effects crashed while in the quitting process.
      I had to "force quit" it

then, I could not open it up again, it would crash as soon as it started.
      So I ran "Adobe Updater" on it.  No updates found.
      So I got out my instalation disks and re-installed.

That got an error, after going through 3 DVDs worth of something?

So I then tried to uninstall it, and it also errored.

So I manually deleted after effects from my HD, as we did in the
      old days before "installers".

It would not delete one particular file in there, claming "in use"
      So I restarted, and it took a LONG time with the Grey screen with the
      little spinning thing
      I almost thought it had corrupted the entire OSX??
      But luckily the finder finally returned.

I completed the manual delete, and ran Adobes "setup" on DVD 1 of Creative Suite.
      Now it doesn't show After Effects as an option to install anymore?

(Though it does list something about the "example files", as a box which I CANT check)

What's going on here?

Other Adobe CS products still seem to work fine.

• 1. Re: After Effects CS4 OSX - Can't run it, can't install, can't un-install?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          What's going on here?

Even if it sounds harsh: You did it all wrong! You cannot simply trash Adobe apps, it only makes the situation worse. Now you have to go through some song and dance and can't blame anyone for it.

1. Uninstall each and every bit of Adobe software on your system, including older versions and tools like Acrobat
          2. Run the CS3 and CS4 Clean Script from the support pages, multiple times if necessary.
          3. Delete the caps.db in Library:Application Support:Adobe:caps
          4. Reinstall

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: After Effects CS4 OSX - Can't run it, can't install, can't un-install?
            RKeller9 Level 1

Thank you for your suggestions, and "friendly welcome" to this forum.

(Honestly, I never had a bug troublesome enough to log in until now, so that's fortunate.)

Any second opinions before I "reinstall everything"? which will take a while...

As stated, Illustrator and Photoshop still seem to be working fine.

Where are those "clean scripts" located, btw?

• 3. Re: After Effects CS4 OSX - Can't run it, can't install, can't un-install?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm afraid one program running is not a good indicator of things also being right elsewhere. As annoying as it is, the Adobe apps are connected in intricate and mysterious ways that do not always expose themselves on first sight. So in order for everything to work, a full re-install is pretty much the only way to fix things, especially now that you've jumbled the install even more. I really recommend you take the time to do it. The scrripts can be found here and here. And don't take anything personalyl. we all have jobs jsut like you and sometimes formal slippages occur in the rush, especially with such "standard" answers that some of us type 20 times a day. Didn't mean any offense...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: After Effects CS4 OSX - Can't run it, can't install, can't un-install?
                RKeller9 Level 1

Thank you.

I keep hoping an easier answer will arrive!

but I guess I will try the total reinstall tomorrow.

(I would be really impressed if the "adobe updater" progam, analyzing that the rest of CS4 is still here, could restore AE automatically.)

I did download the "Adobe Support Advisor", may try to use it again.

I havent really used the new "integration" features (but I guess they are pretty powerful and deserve looking into).

Just run one app at a time, import / export - keep it really straight and organized -

give AE the full memory and processor power

Speaking of interoperability, I am considering entering the world of Cinema 4D also.

(I guess the "fourth dimention is time", in this case)

• 5. Re: After Effects CS4 OSX - Can't run it, can't install, can't un-install?
                  RKeller9 Level 1

So I reinstalled it all.

It works again, which is good!

But now I can't import .MTS files, and my projects that used them are now broken?

(.MTS is what SONY calls it's H264 AVCHD files coming off my new camera...  WHY Sony?)

I guess I will continue this in the "AVCHD broken" thread...

• 6. Re: After Effects CS4 OSX - Can't run it, can't install, can't un-install?
                    RKeller9 Level 1

but now Adobe Updater continually fails to update my re-installed After FX to 9.0.2?

• 7. Re: After Effects CS4 OSX - Can't run it, can't install, can't un-install?
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There are direct links to the downloadable updates here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2009/05/after-effects-902-update-red-r.html

Perhaps running the downloable update will work better than using the Adobe Updater.

• 8. Re: After Effects CS4 OSX - Can't run it, can't install, can't un-install?
                        RKeller9 Level 1

OK - I tried dowloading and using this -

the bar went across 95% about 10 times,

and then it once again declared "After Effects Failed to Update".

What can be going on here?

• 9. Re: After Effects CS4 OSX - Can't run it, can't install, can't un-install?
                          TimeRemapper Level 4

As Mylenium suggested earlier, did you try uninstalling, running the CS4 Clean Script, and then re-installing?

It sounds like there might still be a remnant from your initial crash (where you preformed a force-quit).

• 10. Re: After Effects CS4 OSX - Can't run it, can't install, can't un-install?
                            ChrisProsser Adobe Employee

I'm sorry to inform you your installation is still damaged.

Just to confirm, as part of you re-install, did you ever install the trial?

AVCHD is installed by a seperate installer in CS4 because it can't be used in the Trial version due to the fact it uses MPEG2 licensed technology. The fact that it is missing implies the installation is still messed up, as does the inability to apply the 9.0.2 patch.

The person I know for sure who could help you is out sick with the flu.

To recap, you did the following:

1) Ran the installlers for as much Adobe software as you could. There are located next to the product, or in Applications/Utility/Adobe Installers/...

2) This includes things like Lightroom and Adobe Acrobat. You don't need to worry about the Flash Player.

4) ran the CS4 cleaner script: http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs4clean.html and uninstalled anything left.

5) At this point, you can go into /Applications and manually throw out any remaining Adobe applications.

This is pretty much a scorched earth approach because I don't know anything more gentle.

Another user mentioned manually throwing out the caps.db file. I don't know the installer system well enough to throw things away that are on disk.

This article descrips removing the installer database:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/401/kb401531.html

1. Delete the Caps folder if you are unable to delete the Adobe Creative Suite 3 product or they are not listed.
                              • On Windows:           
                                Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\caps\caps.db           
                                Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\backup\caps.db
                              • On Mac OS:           
                                /Library/Application Support/Adobe/caps           
                                /Library/Application Support/Adobe/backup

CS4 and CS3 share the same database, so this applies even if it is a different version.

You could also try calling support. If you get someone who has experience with installation errors, you'll be in good shape. But you can see from some of the other posts in this forum that you don't often get that person. I would not hesitate to hang up and call back if I didn't have faith in the agent.

--chris

• 11. Re: After Effects CS4 OSX - Can't run it, can't install, can't un-install?
                              RKeller9 Level 1

thank you for detailed suggestions.

yes, that pretty much summarizes what I did.

No, I never had the trial installed on this machine, or CS3.

(it's pretty new)

I'm a little scared to trash anything at this point -

but you say that if I trashed this CAPS database, I could

probably install my CS4 AE 9.02 update?

yes, I guess I will call tech support ( does that cost? )

I really need to get back on track with my videos!

• 12. Re: After Effects CS4 OSX - Can't run it, can't install, can't un-install?
                                Peter Sgouros Level 1

wait.

sorry I was out for a couple of days.

before you do anything, could you find the following files (if they exist) and zip them up and attache them to this thread?

/tmp/pbs.log

/Library/Logs/Adobe/Installers/xxx...xxx.log.gz

the latter should be a named and dated log.gz file that indicates the last few days that you may have tried to run the installer you did. please choose the appropriate one.

first off, simply deleting the caps.db etc. will not allow you to update.

IMPORTANT, before you read the rest of this post, since you mentioned that you were installing from the suite, launch one of the apps that still works and choose Help->deactivate... before you do anything else.

now as far as the installers and updaters go, let me try to summarize the issue.

you have only CS4 products present on your machine. (you are lucky here)

after effects won't launch, and fails to update.

you have run cleaner scripts,

photoshop still runs. (this is expected...)

updater relies on (at least) 3 sources of information to discover if you can update your software. if any of them are broken, the updater will fail, and potentially leave you in a position that prevents any future updates.  however, the presence or lack of this data will not affect your ability to run the programs, simply your ability to upgrade or update them, (or indeed, reinstall them.) the cleaner script only really gets rid of one of those places in order to fix the installer, but does not affect/cure the updater problem. to fix the updater you need to clean the system, re-run the original installer to regenerate the other bits of data, then run the updater.

at this point the scorched earth method that chris outlined is pretty much your best bet for eventual peace of mind. however you have to be a little careful as you don't want to add a licensing problem to your issues... (hence telling you to deactivate above, you did, didn't you?)

as of right now, (in this thread) the things that you want to delete to get yourself to a reasonable starting point would be the following:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/caps

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/backup

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Installers

/Applications/.AdobePatchFiles

the last one might be a bit tricky. the easy way to deal with it is to hit cmd+shift+g (Go->Go to folder...) in the finder, and cut and paste that line.  if you are indeed starting your CS4 experience from the beginning again, you can safely delete all the contents of that folder. (side note, for those who want to know, it is copies of files that are eventually necessary for further updates should there be any. (e.g. if you are updating from 9.0.1 to 9.0.2, there are files in here that were generated during the 9.0 ->9.0.1 update that are necessary for the later update to succeed.)) getting rid of those four locations will make your next adobe installer believe that nothing is currently installed or updated.  whether or not you have deleted the actual applications themselves. which, as you have noticed, will still run as if nothing has happened.

do *NOT* delete anything else in the /Library/Application Support/Adobe/ folder.   

now would be a good time to delete the applications themselves from the /Applications directory to be assured of getting a good clean install. (you did deactivate first, right?)

now, rerun the installers with your serial number. from that point you should be okay.  I would recommend running the updater as soon as you are done with the installer, before you do anything else.