1 2 Previous Next 51 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2010 12:27 PM by KStreetStudio

Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?

KStreetStudio Level 1

I'm using CS4 and am putting togehter an event video from a conference from a year ago.  The video starts out with title text, speaker info, that sort of stuff.  But, the text looks horrible.  It looks like it's being split into horizontal lines.  Parts of the text may be missing, such as the bottom of O's and 0's, and the bottom of L's.  When text moves, it even twinkles.

This is an NTSC-DV project and so far I'm just working with bit-mapped graphics, photos, and titles.  No video clips yet.  This project hasn't seen any interlacing yet.

I first exported using DIVX so I could upload the work-in-progress to Vimeo (720 x 480 non-interlaced).  I figured it could be the CODEC, or Vimeo's compression, that sort of thing.  But I also tried exporting as an AVI file, and an uncompresed AVI file, with the maximum render quality option turned on.  The results were pretty much the same.

I doubt it is an NTSC color issue since I'm using a number of colors.

The problem is not as noticeable on larger, or rather, thicker text.

Here's a link to teh project if you want to take a look: http://vimeo.com/8859654

How do I fix this?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
          Level 4

Hi

Check this out...I use it a lot for reference...

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/hodgetts_philip/titles.php

It makes a difference ....using the fonts he suggests, not using pure white, stuff like that....not using real frilly sarifs...

I'll check out your link now...but consider printing out that guys article and using it for reference later ...

Others here with a lot of experience will be along to help you I'm sure...

Good luck

Rod

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
            Level 4

Hi

I checked out link...wow, that's nice !  I like it, and was pleasantly surprised how good the text looked that you scaled up in layers...nice effect.

How much time for preparation do you have before you shoot the event ? Do you have access to the room before the event ?

Reason I ask is you wrote this:

-----------------------

Color balance is impossible, and room ventilation system noise is worse

-----------------------------

I can't really tell, but it looks like most light is from those par cans in the ceiling ?  There are gel "rolls" (much cheaper in the long run than buying small sheets of gel made for still photographers) made by Rosco and Lee Filters....about $100 - $150 per roll...which is 4 feet wide by 21-25 feet long.

They make 60" wide rolls too...and lots of other stuff...you can check out online...Lee and Rosco.

Thing is, most film departments at big colleges would have some of this stuff lying around...open rolls, partly used rolls... or maybe a photograher friend has some open rolls they can lend you...

The typical stuff they would have is CTO (like 85 filter - to make daylight look like tungsten ) and CTB (blue, to make tungsten look like daylight)  with increments of those ( 1/2 cto, 1/4 , etc)...and plus green , minus green...to balance flourescent to daylight or tungsten...

Anyway, what you can do is check the color temperature of your light sources, and cut up some color correction gel (like make circles for the par lights in the ceiling ) and tape the stuff on....can do windows, lights ...can wrap it around flourescent tubes and tape it on...put tube back in housing...

But, unfortunately this takes a little time and access to the room beforehand...and a ladder !  And paper tape , scissors or box cutter type knife.

OR , you could buy some light bulbs of the color temperature you like and swap those bulbs !

The sound thing, you could maybe put a blanket between your camera and the noise source ???  That helps a lot sometimes.

Anyway, I like what you did so far...

Good luck

Rod

• 3. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
              Level 4

HI

Me again...if you use a blanket(s) those "moving blankets" people use to protect furniture works real good.

Rod

• 4. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

I see what you are talking about.

First comment is that I see the degradation with very thin fonts. These can be highly problematic, especially for Interlaced display on a progressive monitor. For these, I'd go with a bit more weight in the fonts chosen. San-serif is also better, than a serif font.

This ARTICLE will give you a bit more info on Titles. Unfortunately, when doing Titles for video, there are more considerations, because of the medium, than when doing print. Fonts that look great on an 8-color press and chrome-coat, will look like crap on video. It's similar to the limitations of going to the Web, but even worse.

Also, the DivX CODEC is very heavily compressed. It does a good job with low-motion subjects with broad areas of color/density. It does less well with fast motion, and especially with fine lines of any kind.

The two best ways to view your output critically are to feed via FireWire to a calibrated CRT monitor, or to just burn a DVD RW disc for testing on a set-top player, if that is your final destination. If going to computer (progressive, high-rez) monitor, then test with a software DVD player.

Out of curiosity, how are these Titles being done? Are they perhaps AI documents, that are being brought straight into PrPro, or similar? Could be some ways to improve there too.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                  KStreetStudio Level 1

Thanks all.

I now recall running into this problem in earlier versions of Premiere.  I was using thicker/bolder text and the horizontal lines would still appear in the text.

The final project is destined for PC and web play, not TV.  My camera interlaces the video, but all exports will be non-interlaced.

The source material for the first part of the video is all bitmaps, digital photos, and text layers produced in Photoshop.  None of that is interlaced.

I've noticed that in the video that the text displayed on the screen behind the speaker looks fine.  It could be the bluring that made that work.  I'll try bluring the Photoshop text layers to see if that helps.

Some text is in Premiere titles.  I may have to quit using them and use Photoshop instead.

RoboDog2, thanks for the link.  I looked at the Codec examples and it looks like the Canopus CODEC does much better than the other examples.  I looked for more info on that CODEC and it seems it is about 8 years old.  One would have hoped that Adobe would have been able to come closer to that quality by now.

Also, I don't have access to the room, or rather rooms, before the event, and even if I doubt I'd be allowed to set it (them) up like you suggested.  I am able to fix the colors somewhat, and that will have to do.  I'll just say it was authentic.  For audio, I'm using a high-pass filter set to 100 Hz and it helps.  Any higher and the speakers voice starts sounding tinny.  Next time I'll try recording room noise with no one in the room, then the event, and hopefully I'll be able to find a way to remove the background noise.  It will probably require a Fourier technique.

Bill Hunt, also, thanks for the link and suggestions.  I guess even though I am not interlacing this the DV format will do something like that anyway.  I've been looking more closely at the images and if I export a single frame as a BMP file it looks fine.  If I stop a replay of the MPEG4 or AVI video, both non-interlaced, the messed up text is there.  Clearly this is something in the CODEC.  Looking closer, it looks like whatever the compression method actually it, it looks like it does a line by line compression.  I'd think that something more like what JPEG uses would work a lot better.  I also noticed that the trees twinkle as they are zoomed out.  I can distincly see lines in this as well.

Oh, and I have noticed how the DIVX CODEC doesn't do a good job with smooth motion, especially when that motion is quick.

The more I think about it the more I think the apparent line-by-line method being used is the problem.

• 6. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I do a great deal of my Titles in PS, and then Import them into PrPro as .PSD's. Part of this is just habit, as I work on my still images (whether for video, or for print) in that format, part is that I can then individually animate any Layers (Import as Sequence).

I have found that a touch of Vertical Blur works nicely at keeping my Titles looking good - no flicker, or jaggies, though I am almost always going to DV. This is something that can be quickly overdone, so I approach it with delicacy. I also limit my fonts to more video-friendly ones, even when I would love to use University Roman, or similar. Video is a restrictive medium, regarding type. There are just a lot of visual limitations, but in time, I have rather learned to live with it, and do the best design possible, given the medium.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                      KStreetStudio Level 1

I wonder how much of this is an issue with the 480 line format.  I don't see this in my HD videos.  For example:

Link: http://vimeo.com/8093170

The titles were created in Premiere.  I'm using the same font and color in my current project.

It still bugs me that the trees twinkle, too.

• 8. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

That could have something to do with it. As one, who used to campaign an XKE in SCCA, I got caught up in the film, and forgot to look at the Titles!

Went back, and they DID look good. Thanks for sharing, and I'll be interested in hearing what works best for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                          KStreetStudio Level 1

Sounds like it might be time to grab another XKE and get

back out to the track.

I'm trying a few things.  I'm already using NTSC safe colors.  Bluring isn't working.  I created title slides that were 1440x960, so that there'd be more pixels in each letter, and that didn't work.

While this discussion is focusing on the text, the same type of thing is happening to the background images, but not to the video clips.

Maybe I should just do all this in Camtasia.

• 10. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are not going DV, I don't think that you need to be concerned about the NTSC Safe Colors. Now, broadcast would be another issue.

If you do go the Camtasia route, here is an ARTICLE on using the TechSmith files. Also, not THAT long ago, Jeff Bellue (noted author and MOD here) did a full reply on a Cantasia thread. If I can find that, I will post it here, plus also add the link to the Camtasia article, linked above.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - wife tells me that there will be no XKE in my future. All of that after I ordered a new S-class AMG for her too!

• 11. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                              KStreetStudio Level 1

My reference to Camtasia was simply my way of saying that it didn't seem to have a problem producing video with small/sharp text.

P.S. No XKE?  Then how about finding some $200 crap can on Craig's List and going LeMons racing?

P.P.S. Think this is something Adobe needs to pay attention to.  Other CODECs have been able to render text better, and as noted, this problem isn't only affecting text.

• 12. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                P.S. No XKE?  Then how about finding some $200 crap can on Craig's List and going LeMons racing?

Well, I guess that I could race the Landcruiser!

After the XKE, I ran a Pontiac Gran Prix HO 455, much to the chagrin of many of the "sporty car crowd." It really got them, when I won several rather tight events, and two with long straights. Back with the XKE, I never had much success, as my class was never filled. Most of the time, I got bumped up the 6 cyl. Porches, and could not compete, though I tried. For a moment in time, I got bumped to the solid axel Corvettes and won several times - then it was back to the Porches. I tried the fully "modified" route, but that event saw a Porche racing group outfit 9 of their cars to fully modified! Dang, my plan for victory was dashed again. I beat two of 12, and that was the best that I could do. One the one event, where I set "fastest time of the day," it got canceled, when heavy rain set in. Still, I have the memories, and a few dusty trophies. My wife filmed my last race, but turned the camera vertically, like she would have her Nikon. Maybe I will telecine that footage, and Rotate it, now with digital.

Sorry that I did not have more advice to offer on the Titles. I saw what you were talking about, and have spent my "trick bag" on cures.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                  Level 4

Hi

I was sort of exporting something today that didn't look so swift ...trying various things from CS3...AVI and MOV...and I finally (like about an hour ago, after working on it all day basically) got this decent looking export  for something that is

NTSC 720X480P (was trying interlaced earlier...so finally went to progressive ) 23.97fps, par 4:3 ...and I don't know if you have it with CS4 , but if so you might want to give it a shot.

I also made a bunch of psd screenshots, and some notes using notepad...which I can upload here for you..so in case your default settings are different you can see what mine were ...

Worth a shot maybe.  export from AME

I used MPEG 2...and changed the settings from 29.97 to 23.97 and where you see PRESET -the dropdown menu (custom as soon as you change a setting) I picked NTSC DV HIGH QUALITY

It uses mainconcept video and audio codec making a PCM audio (video is muxed....and it makes an mpg file as well as an xmf file..which I just deleted...)

So it's pulldown 3:2, and all sorts of settings which by default are fine for me...I chose quality 5 (highest) from default of 4...

changed field order and pixel to square...( it defaults at first to interlaced 29.97)...didnt change any bitrate settings...or any advanced settings.

did choose work bar for the render from whole sequence...but basically it was straightforward and gave me the best quality out of a lot of AVI and MOV trials...

Here are the psd files and txt file...

• 15. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                    Level 4

Hi

Can't you just rotate it in Premiere ?? the vertical camera stuff ??

That would be fun...you guys seeing some stuff from your racing days.

Rod

• 16. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                      Level 4

Hi again,

I noticed today, working on my stuff, that looked pretty terrible until I found the magic mpeg 2 thing...that if I "despeckled" some of my pics ( in psd "noise/despeckle"..it was almost like using a very subtle blur...and made some of the images look better after rendering / exporting...

Well, good luck ...I'm going to look at my nice video again and do a "thank you" dance to the video gods...

Rod

• 17. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                        KStreetStudio Level 1

Damn, that did it.

I wonder which setting, or settings, solved the problem.

I'll start experimenting.  I'll start with square pixels.  I'll let you know what I find.

You should let the people who put up those other articles on text what you managed to do.

• 18. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                          Level 4

Hi,

Aha !  See? Even a blind squirrel finds a nut SOMETIMES !  

I'm glad it worked...Lord knows I spent most of the day trying to get my own still image thing looking decent...so I'm glad it helped you too.'

Those other things...they all matter too....and every thing that can be done to improve quality is worth it ....  so I pay attention to all those things....and not only THAT....  they all enjoy HELPING !  How cool is THAT ?!

Maybe put a link to your finished project when ready so we can see how good it looks ?  Would be fun.

Rod

• 19. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                            KStreetStudio Level 1

What I have for so far is that the 29.97 frame rate, drop-frame or non-drop frame, gives the bad results.  I reset one setting at a time back to the original/default settings and it was the frame rate that did it.  Pixel shape, no difference.  Quality setting back to 4, no difference.  Frame rate = 29.97, bad.  I just tried a 25 fps encode and that worked, too.  Finally, I tried an MGEG4 (H.264) with 23.xx fps frame rate and that worked, too.

Now, if Videom will just let me upload it.  I'll let you know and will include a link.

• 20. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                              KStreetStudio Level 1

The 23 fps version is uploading now.  The link will be: http://vimeo.com/8904653

This is an MPEG4 video, but I used robodog2's guidelines and it worked.  You can still see the artifact in the thin fonts, but otherwise, problem solved.  Even the tress stoped twinkling.  ;)

Thanks robodog2!

Now, just why is it at that the 29.97 fps encode causes this problem?

P.S. I'll leave the original version up for as long as I can so people can see both.

• 21. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                                Level 4

Hi,

Boy, that's great news... it's working good, and the fps seems to be the culprit...I would love to see something...Do you have Gspot by any chance? It's a free program that's indispensable (great program) for seeing what a video and sound file really IS...what type, characteristics, what codecs were used to create it, frame rate, par, etc.   If you don't have it it is really worth getting...is free...

If you were to put your old (one of the ones that didn't look good) file into Gspot and then take a screenshot of Gspot....and then take a file that DOES work good, and stick THAT into Gspot...and take another screenshot....and upload the screenshots here.... I would love to see THAT....

Sometimes you think something is done to a file due to settings....like interleave, or you make it progressive...or whatever...and you THINK that's what your file has as a characteristic, but you put it into Gspot and find out it's NOT as you thought...somehow some settings cause the conversion to default to some other characteristic...it does stuff you don't know it did....but Gspot will be able to tell you EXACTLY what the file has for characteristics...and I would love to see the difference between what finally worked for you best as opposed to what was not looking good to you at first...

If you get the time.....just a thought...

But the fps thing sure is interesting...I thought it was more to do with interlace vs progressive and that fps was just inherent ...like, coincidental.

Rod

going to check out your link now...I'm glad this is working out for you !

• 22. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                                  KStreetStudio Level 1

Thanks.

Yes, I have gspot. I'll do what you asked.

I've got an update uploading now.  The video might not play for a little while.

• 23. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                                    Level 4

Hi,

Wow, cool...thanks !

I got most of my initial display (export probs) solved ...with same thing you were dealing with in a way...but now I have new dilemma...which is youtube plays back video quite a bit darker than anticipated...and that was one of my original problems with exports...the still images were washed out..really flat and kinda de-saturated of "tone"...so I increased contrast, made darker, etc...and did it so much where in Premiere the stuff was looking WAY too dark and contrasty....but the export would come out close to what it SHOULD look like...  very disturbing.

Then I finally fixed the export problem by going progressive with the mainconcept codec, 23.97 fps...as discussed...and BIG DIFFERENCE...

Now...I look at what was exported on my computer and its darker and more contrast than I would like...by about ( on average ) 20%....

But on YouTube...Wow....it's like 35% darker and more contrasty than I want...

Do you find that true with your work ??? That the display from Vimeo or YouTube is darker than you would like ??

If you have time to watch ...is like 2 minutes and 4 minutes respectively .... videos referenced below...

Here is my "in progress" too dark stuff that will have to be re-adjusted now from the original images...as I didn't do the adjustments in layers...Grrrrr. I hope get my brother to do a soundtrack for me... (fingers crossed). He did this music:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekbm9TKagnE&feature=channel

My new project:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEAM_W7fYDs

Rod

• 24. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Rod,

With digitized film, that is what I intend to do. Back in the days of film only, it was not that easy! Now, a couple of clicks, and some resizing, and it is easy.

Hunt

• 25. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                                        Level 4

Mike,

Your video looks great. nice trees..text...interior shots of guy talking...nice !

Rod

• 26. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                                          Level 4

Hi Bill,

Hehe...Yep , easy now compared to then...I don't even know how you would do it before..I never worked with film except to run the projector for the grade school when I was 10 or something...splice fast if it broke cause my fellow kid buddies would be screaming and carrying on ...until it was fixed !  Had me sweating bullets ....working fast !  haha.

But anyway, if you fix in Premiere it would be better than having to lay on couch to watch it...with head sideways...

Rod

• 27. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                                            KStreetStudio Level 1

Thanks.

What do you think about the, um, soundtrack?

I just inserted the rain clip, replacing the background photo used at the start, with the flying titles.  I LIKE it.  It looks about the same, wet, black, with a pretty leaf, but the light rains adds a little more, and subtle, life to the clip.  I'll upload the update later today, after I make more progress on other parts.

I'll get the gspot screen shots up soon, too.

• 28. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, I missed the "trailer," but will keep my eyes open for the finished piece.

I am a big user of SFX Clips to enhance video, so will probably agree with your decision.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 29. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                                                Level 4

Hi

I dont see any rain.

What rain?

I see the wet ground and wet leaf and that looks great.  Is that the "rain" ?

Trees look good.

Flying text, trees, titles, even the drumbeat timer thing .... all looks good.  Sounds good too !

I'm ready to hear more of that guys talk ...

Rod

• 30. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

When I went to the YouTube link, I got a "Removed by Poster," or similar. I'd suspect that it will soon be replaced by an edited version. I'm looking forward to that.

Hunt

• 31. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                                                    Level 4

Hi

I saw the video about 40 min ago...maybe Mike is uploading new version.

If someone would tell me basically

1) Does the video look extremely DARK....or    LIGHT....  I would appreciate it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIfwLXMJdAM

Rod

• 32. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

On my 17" laptop, w/ nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX - 512, with Adobe Gamma (from PS CS2) module loaded, things looked perfect - not too light, not too dark - just about right. [apologies to Goldilocks.] Pretty good pacing. Could possibly be a tad tighter, but then some of the more intricate images might be too quick.

One question - how did someone so young photograph Sir Winston Churchill reading a newspaper, near the end?

Thanks, and I do believe that Mike is updating, and I just missed the initial post.

Hunt

• 33. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                                                        KStreetStudio Level 1

Well, not rain really, but a light drizzle.  You can see drops hit now and then, just enough to catch one's attention, if they notice.  I think most people will think they see something, then will look closer, and confirm.  I hope it will draw them in a bit, make their brain work, look closer.

I thought the video looked a little dark in parts but not so much that I wouldn't think it was a morning light issue.  The shots that would have really sufferred if too dark, like near the beginning when the guy was running the heater, looked good.  Also, the clip looking up into the balloon looked great.  The white was white enough, and the colors were great.  I also I made a point of looking at the color/darkness of the sky and it looked good.  I figure a blue sky is a pretty good reference for color/brightness.

• 34. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                                                          KStreetStudio Level 1

I haven't updated anything today.  I'm currently going through the 9 hours of tape looking for sound bites, and video bites, that happen to coincide, that I can use.  The rain update is still on my computer, not uploaded yet.  And, you won't hear any more from that speaker.  His talk just drags on.  It's a engineering/technical/educator's conference you know.

While I have been complaining about ligth, in some of the break-out sessions, in smaller rooms, the large windows along one wall and an overcast sky are creating excellent lighting.  Rembrandt would be jealous. 

• 35. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                            the large windows along one wall and an overcast sky are creating excellent lighting.

The world's largest "softbox!"

Happy shooting,

Hunt

PS - with regards to the SFX of light rain, what are you seeking. I have hours of SFX, and create bunches, when the occasion arises. I might have something in stock that I'd be happy to contribute - no charge. I used to spend days walking around with a Nagra and shotgun mic (trying to learn more about Audio, as that was my weakest block in film school), so have a bunch. My e-mail is infoAThuntphotoDOTcom, where there are obviously some changes. AT = @ and DOT = . (the dot/period). Just let me know the parameters. Most is mono, but then you can do dual-mono, if needed. A lot is 22KHz, some 44.1KHz and then some of the new stuff is stereo 48KHz, but do not think that I have any rainy ambiance in the latter group. I can convert to whatever might help you.

• 36. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                                                              Level 4

Hi

Thanks sooooo much, Bill.  Especially letting me know how your monitor is calibrated re: gamma, card, etc.

That's a big load off my mind...cause now I can more or less take what I SEE on MY monitor, when looking at YouTube, and compare THAT to what I see when the stills are in Premiere, and what it looks like played on my monitor from ...say...Quicktime player.   You won't believe this but they are ALL slightly different !!!!

But now I know I'm in the ballpark...know what I mean ?   Not totally without some kind of element of having feet on ground ....  So thanks a lot !

haha...Winston was a regular at that place, reading the horse forms probably...Those guys were lifelong professional experts of horse racing forms...and could have been in that movie with Richard Dryfus where they sing that horsey song " Can do, Can do...the something or other Can do..."

See if you can pick out Johns Hopkins III, great grandson of the founder of the university.  Hint: Quaker ancestors.

and.... girl bartender at CBGB's during it's heyday...  tough girl able to throw out Hell's Angels...  ( hint, there are daisies in the shot )

Boy, those things bring back memories..but anyway, thanks for the info...Now I can move on with this and not be in the dark..

Rod

• 37. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                                                                Level 4

Hi

I looked pretty close and didnt see any drops..  maybe I need something a little heavier to catch my attention...like the leaf being pounded and floating away on a rush of rain splattered white water.. ??  Would be hard to shoot something like that with a macro lens....  Better use a waterproof housing with steadicam tied to the boat !

Thanks for that info on the film clip..  But it was the wrong film you watched due to me giving you the wrong link...sorry !

That's why I call myself a blind squirrel sometimes...  The number of dumb things I do baffles me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIfwLXMJdAM

It's that link...(just tested )....  if you have time...although Bill got back to me already and it sounds like the reproduction is pretty close to what I'm seeing also, and now I just have to register that in my head in comparison to what it looks like in Premiere and Quicktime on my monitor, etc.  I think I'm close enough for moving along though.  Any feedback from you would be nice, so feel welcome to check it out and let me know how it looks on YOUR monitor too !  Thanks..

Yeah, that balloon thing I didn't shoot ...they are sample files from Roxio for a tutorial, that I edited and I used my brother's music...  and the shots are late afternoon , sun very low...."golden hour" ....  kind of nice photography I think...beautiful in fact...and I am getting more and more in love with what can be done with video...which is contrary to my previous inclination and opinion...as I am from film background.

YouTube stuff in general is about 10% darker than what I see on my monitor.. I think....your feedback would help me nail that down better.

Rod

ps did you see that post about logarith and the windows codec?  I was thinking ....wouldn't be nice if someone made a database that had

1) basic information about most popularly used codecs

What filetypes they could work with, how much compression in general (percent) or lossless

What popular programs used the codecs ( shipped with product / could be added to product for use without messing up the works)

What could be exported from the type of file in NLE currently used

I don't know...just basic information that would be easy to search and reference, by codec name or file type or even by description of how much compression you needed...all that could be done from a database....with field names that had the different info in them...

Dreaming...

Rod

• 38. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                                                                  Level 4

Hi

Is that your web address too ? huntphoto.com ?

You wouldn't happen to have something for the ABC thing...like gunshots and police sirens and people yelling in fourteen different languages at the same time?  hehe..just kidding..

Rod

• 39. Re: Why does the text in my titles look so terrible in exports?
                                                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Rod,

did you see that post about logarith and the windows codec?

To save you going crazy, it's Lagarith, HERE. I do not want you having to look at a ton of useless links for Russian wives, property in Costa Rica and cheap hotels in Washington, DC.

Now, it would be nice to have a list of CODEC's BUT... these change at least quarterly, and variations on existing ones come out almost monthly. Each camera mfgr. seems intent on coming up with the latest CODEC, or a variation of such. Such a list could never be even remotely evergreen.

This ARTICLE will supply a bit more background, though there is no chart.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 2 Previous Next