10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2008 10:56 AM by

vertical scroll bars for text

jameswoody Level 1
      I need to make a site with an area of text that scrolls in its box when you hover your curser over an 'up' or 'down' image.

This does what I want, except it scrolls the whole page, not just text in a div.
      http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex2/pagescroller.htm

I think i need to do this with javascript but it might be java. This is probably too complex for someone to post an entire tutorial here, but could someone provide me with a link to one? Ive been searching for a while without finding anything but im sure there are tutorials out there one this.
      thanks
      james
        • 1. Re: vertical scroll bars for text
          Level 7
          .oO(jameswoody)

>I need to make a site with an area of text that scrolls in its box when you
          >hover your curser over an 'up' or 'down' image.

Bad idea.

> I think i need to do this with javascript but it might be java. This is
          >probably too complex for someone to post an entire tutorial here, but could
          >someone provide me with a link to one? Ive been searching for a while without
          >finding anything but im sure there are tutorials out there one this.

The most important question is why you want that. Are you aware of all
          the usability and accessibility problems that this will cause?

Micha
          • 2. Re: vertical scroll bars for text
            jameswoody Level 1
            Its a portfolio site for a friend of mine, and its not expecting a lot of traffic. Accessibility is not an issue. So long as it looks ok on a normal computer thats fine, unless there is another way of doing it?
            • 3. vertical scroll bars for text
              jameswoody Level 1
              I found this site;
              http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex2/manualscroll.htm

And ive added this below my <body>
              <a href="javascript:void(0);" onmouseover="movedown()" onmouseout="stopscroll()">Down</a>
              <a href="javascript:void(0);" onmouseover="moveup()" onmouseout="stopscroll()">Up</a>

This seems to be working fine, but are their likely to be many accessibility and usability issues with this? Could you outline them or give me a link to some reading on this?
              thanks
              james
              • 4. Re: vertical scroll bars for text
                Level 7
                Have a look at Project VII's Vertical Scroller.
                http://www.projectseven.com/products/tools/vscroller/index.htm

--Nancy O.
                Alt-Web Design & Publishing
                www.alt-web.com

"jameswoody" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:g2m2lk$7fo$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > I need to make a site with an area of text that scrolls in its box when
                you
                > hover your curser over an 'up' or 'down' image.
                >
                > I think i need to do this with javascript but it might be java. This is
                > probably too complex for someone to post an entire tutorial here, but
                could
                > someone provide me with a link to one? Ive been searching for a while
                without
                > finding anything but im sure there are tutorials out there one this.
                > thanks
                > james
                >

• 5. Re: vertical scroll bars for text
                  jameswoody Level 1
                  Very cool but I dont want to spend 60 USD just for this site. I will consider it if I need to do more sites like this.

In the mean time, exactly how bad is the method I already talked about? I dont know anyone who uses a screen reader, etc or looks at sites regularly on a mobile device. Are these the only people I would be affecting?
                  • 6. Re: vertical scroll bars for text
                    Level 7
                    Also bad for people with older browsers or who have JavaScript disabled for
                    security reasons. The beauty of Project VII's script is that it degrades
                    well in older browsers and if Jscript happens to be off, the entire panel is
                    revealed; not hidden. $60 may seem pricey for just one site. But their
                    products and customer support are well-worth it to me when I need to get the
                    job done quickly.

--Nancy O.
                    www.alt-web.com

news:g2mgr3$mtj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Very cool but I dont want to spend 60 USD just for this site. I will
                    consider
                    > it if I need to do more sites like this.
                    >
                    > In the mean time, exactly how bad is the method I already talked about? I
                    dont
                    > know anyone who uses a screen reader, etc or looks at sites regularly on a
                    > mobile device. Are these the only people I would be affecting?
                    >

• 7. Re: vertical scroll bars for text
                      jameswoody Level 1
                      Thanks Nancy,
                      Are their any other similar resources out there you would recommend? Never know when stuff like this will come in handy.
                      James
                      • 8. Re: vertical scroll bars for text
                        Level 7
                        .oO(jameswoody)

>Very cool but I dont want to spend 60 USD just for this site. I will consider
                        >it if I need to do more sites like this.
                        >
                        > In the mean time, exactly how bad is the method I already talked about?

Affecting a site's accessibility is _always_ a bad thing. The function
                        should be more important than the design, especially on a portfolio. Why
                        not just let the entire page scroll? This is what users expect and how
                        billions of websites work. There's still enough room for nice designs.

>I dont
                        >know anyone who uses a screen reader, etc or looks at sites regularly on a
                        >mobile device. Are these the only people I would be affecting?

No. Besides those it will affect every user

* who don't use JavaScript (yes, there are some)

* who don't recognize your own scroll widgets: Most users in the WWW
                        are rather inexperienced and only familiar with their own system's
                        GUI controls. Using non-standard controls may just confuse them.

Even worse is the non-standard use of such controls, like scroll
                        buttons triggered without a click.

* who just want to conveniently surf the web: Using non-standard GUI
                        controls usually breaks the default browser behaviours.

Such scrolling boxes might even affect the site's look. The worst I've
                        seen so far were three(!) scrollbars side by side. For a scrolling box
                        you have to define a height, but you'll never know how big the browser
                        window will be. If the height of your box is too small, the user has to
                        scroll endlessly, if it's too high, it will cause multiple scrollbars.

So in short: Scrolling boxes don't do any good except for some very rare
                        cases. Even worse are non-standard GUI controls. You should really think
                        twice before using such things. Accessibility is _always_ an issue.

YMMV.

Micha
                        • 9. Re: vertical scroll bars for text
                          Level 7
                          My web site lists a few DW extension developers
                          http://alt-web.com/tools.shtml

Scripts
                          www.dynamicdrive.com

--Nancy O.
                          www.alt-web.com

news:g2mkvp$rbr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > Thanks Nancy,
                          > Are their any other similar resources out there you would recommend??Never
                          know when stuff like this will come in handy.
                          > James

• 10. Re: vertical scroll bars for text
                            thats sit i was searching for such tutorials.cherrs !