9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2010 4:59 PM by JETalmage

CMYK tints

Adscp Level 1

Hi

I want to create tints of a CMYK color with specific percentages. ex: 10%, 30%, 50% etc...

How do I get the exact percentages?

I know I can hold down the shift key and move the sliders but I want exact and not approximate.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: CMYK tints
          ksimp84

Save the CMYK build as a spot color, then you can adjust the CMYK values together using the slider in the color palette.

• 2. Re: CMYK tints
            Adscp Level 1

Thanks ksimp84!

The thing is that I have exact CMYK breaks that I need to keep  so I don't want to convert it to a spot color. Should I convert to a spot temporarily then convert back to CMYK? Or is there a better method?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: CMYK tints
              ksimp84 Level 1

I would think that would be sufficient...guys?

• 4. Re: CMYK tints
                Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Adscp,

Why not just enter the values in the fields beside the % signs in the Color palette/panel (Window>Color)?

• 5. Re: CMYK tints
                  Adscp Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion Jacob!

However, the color palette only gives me the CMYK break percentages. What I'm looking for is a tint slider where I can type in one percentage number, for example 10%, 30% etc... Does that make sense?

Thanks!

• 6. Re: CMYK tints
                    RenéG Level 3

Adscp wrote:

Should I convert to a spot temporarily then convert back to CMYK? Or is there a better method?

Thanks!

That would be the best solution. It works.

Try it!

• 7. Re: CMYK tints
                      Adscp Level 1

Thanks Rene!

• 8. Re: CMYK tints
                        Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Adscp,

If you are working in specific percentages like the ones you mention, and especially if you need several such tints of the same colour and/or repeated tinting of different colours, you may consider this way:

1) Create a white rectangle (could be 10x10 at 0,0);

2) Object>Transform>Move a copy (could be 100 to the side) and change to full saturation of the colour in question;

3) Select both and Object>Blend>Make (options could be Specified Steps 9);

4) Object>Blend>Expand and Object>Ungroup.

With the values mentioned in () you would now have exact 0, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100, % tints to pick from.

You could keep copies of 3), and with each Direct select the end coloured square and change to another colour, then just repeat 4). You could also just create a white to white blend first and change colour values in the copies.

• 9. Re: CMYK tints
                          JETalmage Level 6

Should I convert to a spot temporarily then convert back to CMYK?

No.

When you define the process Swatch, turn on the Global checkbox. Thereafter, you can select that process color, and the Color Palette will show one slider, for percentages of that Global color, which is still CMYK, not spot.

After selecting whatever percentage you want, choose Create New Swatch again. The resulting Swatch will be a tint of the CMYK process swatch. Edit the original Global process color, and you'll see the tint Swatch(es) based upon it update accordingly.

Assuming CS3 or later, select the Global Swatch, open the Color Guide palette. From its flyout menu, turn on Show Tints/Shades. From the flyout menu select Color Guide Options to enter the number of tints you want (ex: 9). The tint percentages will be the color chips with the little triangle in them. ShiftSelect those, then click the Save Color Group To Swatch Panel button (it looks like a folder). You'll then have the original Global Swatch grouped with 9 other swatches which are tints of it, in 10% increments.

JET