8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2008 2:29 PM by Betsy Kervin

Changing whstart.ico file

MEP45
      Hi,

I don't want to use the standard whstart.ico file in my WebHelp. I want to use our SW .ico file. How do I change this for the help system to pick up?

Thanks,

Mary
        • 1. Re: Changing whstart.ico file
          Linux Rules Level 2
          Hello Mary -

We replace three files per generated project but it must be done manually.

I created the images/content that we need and gave them the corresponding RH file name. We keep these in a separate directory in the project. After generating the project I copy those three files into the generated target folder with Overwrite=Yes. All is well.

Regards,
          GEWB
          • 2. Re: Changing whstart.ico file
            MEP45 Level 1
            Hi GEWB,

Do you name the file you copy in whstart.ico?

Thanks,

Mary
            • 3. Re: Changing whstart.ico file
              Linux Rules Level 2
              Hello Mary -

Sorry for the delay - I've been on vacation/holiday.

We replace three RH generated files with our own versions - same file format and same file names as the GENERATED files:

favicon.ico
              whstart.ico
              whskin_banner.htm

I created our versions of those files and created a folder (aaa-manual-replace) in the project (help) then dumped our files in the folder. After we generate the project we then copy those three files from aaa-manual-replace into the generated folder (!SSL!/help/) Replace/Overwrite=Yes.

Regards,
              GEWB
              • 4. Re: Changing whstart.ico file
                Betsy Kervin
                Does anyone know if RoboHelp 7 or future versions will support an automatic (not manual) way to update the favicons universally? I don't want to have to manually overwrite these files everytime I republish my project.
                • 5. Re: Changing whstart.ico file
                  Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  Hi Betsy

You could take the easy road. Save the icon to the following location:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 7\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_skin

If you did that, it should be the icon used by default for any and all projects.

Cheers... Rick
                  • 6. Re: Changing whstart.ico file
                    Betsy Kervin Level 1
                    Thanks, Rick,

I'm still on RoboHelp 5, so this gives me more incentive to upgrade. I tried overwriting the whstart.ico file in my RH 5 directory, but that didn't work.

Thanks,
                    Betsy
                    • 7. Re: Changing whstart.ico file
                      RoboWizard Level 4
                      Hi again Betsy

Hmmm, overwriting the icon in the proper folder *SHOULD* work for x5 the same as it would for 7. Can you expound on the steps you followed and how you are perceiving it has failed?

Cheers... Rick
                      • 8. Re: Changing whstart.ico file
                        Betsy Kervin Level 1
                        Sure, Rick,

I overwrote the whstart.ico files in the following directories with my new ico file:
                        C:\Program Files\RoboHelp Office\RoboHELP\WebHelp5Ext\template_skin
                        C:\Program Files\RoboHelp Office\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_skin

I ran a search for that file name, and it appeared in both directories. Therefore, I replaced it in both places.

I then opened my RoboHelp project (.xpj file) and File > Generate Primary Layout (WebHelp) to re-publish my whole project. Then I opened a browser and deleted my history and temporary internet files before opening my project. The new favicon didn't appear; the default one is still there.

If you need more information or see where I might have gone wrong, please let me know. I'm grateful for the help!

Betsy