4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2010 2:32 PM by Rothrock

Problem with Double Clicks

Rothrock Level 5

I'm updating/making some software simulation elearning. We used to publish to Flash 5 and have all these components that we drop on the page to make development quick. One of those components is a mouse click area. It defines where the user is supposed to click or double click.

It always worked fine. Until we decided to update and start publishing to Flash 8.

I've found that if we have any of the Flash components included in the library of our FLA that we get an instance of the Focus Manger placed into the swf.

That alone doesn't cause the double clicking to break.

But if we press the tab key or change the focus after that double clicks stop registering.

Using some traces I've figured out that after the FocusManager has done its thing that a second click on the same pixel will not register as a click.

And it actually isn't just this double click that isn't working.

Any time a second click happens without an intervening mouse movement the second (and all subsequent) clicks are ignored—until the mouse is moved.

Any ideas why?

• 1. Re: Problem with Double Clicks
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

i remember some of the v2 components would cause problems with the mouse not registering being over a clickable object after an initial click unless the mouse was moved.  i thought that was solved by using the depth manager class but i'm not sure.

• 2. Re: Problem with Double Clicks
            Rothrock Level 5

Thanks for the direction. I'm not having much luck googling the issue. Everything comes up with the eolas click to activate problem. I don't suppose you remember any more details about it?

• 3. Re: Problem with Double Clicks
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

i only remember testing it myself and verifying the problem.  i never ran into myself because i rarely use(d) components.

i just tried to see if i could verify the problem again and, could not.

but i remember there were several posts about this when flash mx first came out.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Problem with Double Clicks
                Rothrock Level 5

Thanks for the pointers. I think I've figured it out. We have a hidden textfield off the stage which takes the focus when a user has pressed tab at a time when they shouldn't. I added

hiddenText.onSetFocus=function(){

Selection.setFocus(null);

}

And that allows multiple clicks on the same pixel to be registered again. Go figure....