2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2010 9:53 AM by tehxike1

Proper place to do animations in a custom layout?

tehxike1 Level 1

I've rolled a custom layout and want to animate the movement and resizing of the various elements.  Simply slapping resize and move effects in the updateDisplayList function though will invalidate the display list, forcing it to get called constantly.  Is there an accepted way to animate these properties?  There are quite a few excellent layout examples, but I can't find any that use effects.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Proper place to do animations in a custom layout?
          David_F57 Level 5

Hi,

There is no 'simple' answer to your question, but never do things in the updatedisplaylist that affect the display is one of those golden rules never to be broken. Animations can be applied to just about anywhere even to states which is handy to do things in bulk, Chet Haase is the resident guru on all things mickey-mouse(read animated).  He has posted through these forums on many aspects of animation,  maybe looking through issues others have had resolved will give you a clearer picture. From the sounds of it maybe post transform layout is something you need to read up on.

if you have a particular test case cuasing problems just post it, i'm sure there are a few here in the forum that can suggest options.

David.

• 2. Re: Proper place to do animations in a custom layout?
            tehxike1 Level 1

Thanks- that's exactly what I needed to hear.  I convinced myself that this stuff belonged somewhere in updateDisplayList.  Once I considered  doing it outside of there, everything fell together.