0 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2010 1:13 PM by emoedesign

Firefox plugin reloading bug work around

emoedesign

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has a work around for the firefox bug referenced here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=90268

The bug consists of how firefox handles plugins such as flash. Firefox loses the flash objects current state when navigated away from the object. IE does not lose the current state.

For instance, if a user clicked on state in a flash map then clicked another tab, then went back to the map tab; in IE the state selected would still be active, but in firefox, it will reload the flash file bringing it to its begining state - say the entire usa.

My scenario:

• jquery tabs
      • flash content in three of the tabs
      • when you navigate away from a tab that has flash in it and then goes back, it reloads the flash from the beginning rather than remember it's last state.
      • php and asp are not options

One of the flash items is an interactive map that my developers made and it is crucial for the map to retain it's current state upon leaving and going back to the tab.

I read of a possible work around (from the bug post above - post #71) that states:

"Another workaround which might help some people in some cases:

Try making your flash movie a direct child of document.documentElement (ie the
      <html> element)"

But i'm not much of a coder so i have no idea how write this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
      Trish