2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2010 10:43 AM by Michael Gannon

Button Hot Spots

Michael Gannon Level 1

Is there a way to control the hot spot for a button component in Catalyst similar to the way you can in Dreamweaver? I have some type that was converted to a button and it's kind of pick about where you click. For instance if you click inside the center of an "O" and not on the actual "O" itself the button doesn't work. I thought of making a transparent box behind the type my button but that didn't work either. Am I missing something?

• 1. Re: Button Hot Spots
          Tara Jane Feener Level 3

Hey Michael,

You can use shapes in Catalyst, with their opacity set to zero, to replicate the behaviour of 'hot spots'.

I typically do the following:

1) Draw a rounded rectangle

2) In the properties panel, set the opacity of the rectangle to 0.

3) Place the text on top of the rectangle

4) Select both the rounded rectangle and the text, and convert to a button.

Shapes with opacity set to zero still receive mouse/interaction events.

Shapes whose visibility is turned off (eyeball in layers panel) do no receive mouse/interaction events.

Let me know if this trick works for you, I use this strategy in a lot of my Catalyst comps.

Thanks,

Tara

• 2. Re: Button Hot Spots
            Michael Gannon Level 1

Setting the opacity to 0 worked for me. I guess it's different than setting the fill/stroke of a box to none, which is what I was trying to do before.

Thanks