3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2010 5:34 PM by Jai Sula

Topics found dialog results - unusual situation

Jai Sula

Hi everybody,

I'm having a pretty annoying situation. I'm building a HTML (.chm) help based on the imported microsoft word file.

The structure of the file is something like:

====================

Header1

..Header2

..text text text

...Header3

...text text text text

....Header4

.....Header5

.....text text text text

Header1

...etc

====================

I used pagination for headers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 during import to create a topics list. It all looks pretty, and when I search for a keyword it finds all those topics.

Topics found dialog box also distinguishes different topic titles for index keywords. The problem occurs in the TOC tab. Since in my source word document there is nothing between header 1 and 2, or header 4 and 5, a topic generated based on the pagination for Header1 would be a single line containing that header. When user clicks on the book link in TOC that links to that topic a one line is shown.

I tried importing first topics based on header style1 (via pagination), then import again header style 2,3,4,5 and it worked, although in such case when I click on any index keyword it doesn't distinguishes different topic titles in the Topics found dialog box. It always shows the index keyword name instead. Search still works that way.

Any ideas for a workaround? I'm stuck. Please help. Thank you,

Kind regards,

Kamil

• 1. Re: Topics found dialog results - unusual situation
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional

If you tell RH to create topics based on headings and there is nothing between Heading 1 and Heading 2 you are going to get a topic with just the heading. That seems obvious so am I following you correctly.

Where there is nothing in the topic it is surely an unwanted topic created as a result of the parameters you defined and you just delete it.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

• 2. Re: Topics found dialog results - unusual situation
            Jai Sula Level 1

For clarification:

In the Table of Content whenever I select any book I want to display topics based on Header Style 1 (load everything that starts with header1 and ends with header1 in the selected topic).

At the same time, when I select keywords from the Index list or use the Search tab I want to break down main topics more detailed way (based on header styles 1,2,3,4,5...).

Example: Because now my topics are created based on style Header1 only, topics found dialog box doesn't distinguishes subtopic names (title "Importing" is shown twice where it should be "Importing" and "D Importing Data").

Is this possible at all?

screen1.jpg

• 3. Re: Topics found dialog results - unusual situation
              Jai Sula Level 1

For anybody who wants to achieve a similar result: there actually is a way to do it. This worked for me:

First:

a) Import topics based on headers 1-9 (convert table of content and index)

Then (without converting TOC and Index):

b) Re-Import topics based only on the header style 1 only

c) Re-Import topics based only on the header style 2 only

d) Re-Import topics based only on the header style 3 only

e) Re-Import topics based only on the header style 4 only

x) Re-Import topics based only on the header style 9 only

I guess I never like the "can't be done" style responses. I do realize now why they call RoboHelp "hell".