4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2016 10:08 AM by Monika Gause

Can't delete .ai files

reactchemicals

I can't delete .ai files in Adobe Illustrator v.10 in running on Vista.

error says "....can't delete file is begining used"

I have tried everything the web has to offer including:  safe boot, various deletion software, changing aiicon.dll, Crap cleaner, chsdsk, etc.

I sure there are plenty of people that have this problem, as I scan the web, however, no solutions have seem to be found.

Please help!!

• 1. Re: Can't delete .ai files
          Starrim Level 1

I've had this problem frequently with both .AI and .EPS files on Windows XP, from different versions of Illustrator, notably 7 and 10. You may want to try this program:

http://cleansofts.org/unlocker.html

It runs quietly in the background until there is a sharing violation (e.g. you are unable to delete a file, etc.). Then it pops up a window showing which process has locked the file. With Illustrator files, the culprit is usually Windows Explorer... my guess is that it tries to generate a preview thumbnail but somehow never quite finishes, and leaves the file open. You will have the option of killing the offending process (which is kind of a dirty way to do things, but drastic times... you know). You should then be able to delete the file(s) with no problem.

---Peter

• 2. Re: Can't delete .ai files
            reactchemicals Level 1

Thank you so much!

This little file works great

so glad to get these folders cleaned up

• 3. Re: Can't delete .ai files
              kathir86826406

will this work with Mac El Capitan?  I am trying to delete the files within Illustrator and can't seem to do that!  have an assignment due today and it said not enough memory within the program wanted to get rid of some files i no longer need

Kathi

• 4. Re: Can't delete .ai files
                Monika Gause Adobe Community Professional & MVP

kathir86826406 schrieb:

will this work with Mac El Capitan? I am trying to delete the files within Illustrator and can't seem to do that! have an assignment due today and it said not enough memory within the program wanted to get rid of some files i no longer need

Kathi

"Not enough Memory" is not about hard disk space, but about RAM.

Please create your own thread. Your problem is different.