10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2010 1:26 PM by smoothygroove

What is the language used in Flash Builder?

smoothygroove

Hi everyone - total noob here.

I'm really interested in learning how to code ( I'm a designer, and want to add coding to my skill set).

What would be the best way to get up to speed? What language should i learn?

Flash Builder & Cataylst look amazing.

cheers

• 1. Re: What is the language used in Flash Builder?
          markerline Level 4

I'm a noob too smoothy.  A lot of design work can be coded in ActionScript 2.0 or 3.0 which are very different from each other but both compatible with Flash CS4 Professional--you don't necessarily need Flex or Flash Builder.  Catalyst is a "lazy" way of doing ActionScript but from what I saw in the Flash footage on Catalyst the code that the program generates is a little different from ActionScript code, though I'm not entirely sure on the subject.  Hopefully a knowledgable Flex'er will chime in right about now.

-markerlin

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What is the language used in Flash Builder?
            David_F57 Level 5

Hi,

The simple explanation is that Flex is split into 2 coding formats mxml for design/layout and actionscript for functionality, there is also fxg which is a graphics scripting language. fxg and mxml is what Catalyst passes to flex.

Actionscript is Adobe's programming language which is used by flex and flash.

If you are a flash designer you will be familiar with the 'timeline' and frame based code snippets used to create swfs. Flex allows you to create swf's in a true development environment, no timeline and managable code. Anything you do in flash can be done in flex the difference being that the flex sdk provides components and functionality that you just don't get in flash.

Catalyst allows you to  take graphics and convert them into a coded design for flex,  Basically its the bridge between designer and developer.

There are lots of tutorials/video's available on adobe connection, have a look download catalyst and flashbuilder and start enjoying the experience.

David.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: What is the language used in Flash Builder?
              jdesko Level 2

Hello smoothygroove and markerlin;

I'm really interested in learning how to code ( I'm a designer, and want to add coding to my skill set).

How much coding do you want to do?  To quote Adobe on Catalyst:

Designers use Flash Catalyst to create the functional user experience then provide the project file to developers who use Flash Builder to add functionality and integrate with servers and services.

What is the language used in FB (FlashBuilder)? In brief - FB uses MXML to help build the user interface (components/what you see visually), and it uses ActionScript for the program logic; you can use FB for ActionScript programming only, it's a great tool to use for coding if you work with Flash CS4.  You can download both the Flex SDK and Eclipse for free and then be able to create Flex apps, but if your new to this my opinion is that the standalone version of FB is the way to go.

Adobe offers Flash CS4 and FB, both use ActionScript for their programming language.  Again in brief - CS4 is great for timeline based apps, example: alot of the movies/ads that you see on websites, also for games.  FB is great for RIA's (Rich Internet Apps), or an app that is not timeline based. 

Adobe offers free evals for their products, my opinion is decide if you want to do timeline based apps (CS4) or not (FB), then get an eval and play around.  Again, even if you decide CS4 is what you need you will find FB a great tool to use with it.

If you want to learn FB go to this Adobe website for training:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/videotraining/flex4beta/index.html

It's hard to answer this question briefly, but hope this helps,

John

• 4. Re: What is the language used in Flash Builder?
                jdesko Level 2

Hey David,

I thought you were going to answer this one, I should have waited ...

John

• 5. Re: What is the language used in Flash Builder?
                  David_F57 Level 5

Hi John,

It was a quick answer so I thought I better , been a little busy this past week or so with setting up my vm hosting(linux is so fun..not !!!), so haven't spent to much time in the forums, I let you catch the next noobie .

David.

• 6. Re: What is the language used in Flash Builder?
                    smoothygroove Level 1

Thank you all for such a swift response. I wouldn't expect anything less

from an Adobe forum.

-markerlin - I guess we're in the same boat, eh? You shed some more light

on the subject for me

*-David - *Thank you for your clarification. It sounds like, there are three

"languages" I should be looking at: actionscript, fxg & mxml, correct? if I

want to be involved in both the design and the back-end aspect of a project?

Is mxml anything like xml?

- John - *Thank you for your brief yet concise answer. I'm just trying to

get a clear picture of where i should be focusing my attention.

I'm basically a designer, who wants to make the leap to designing business

solutions to companies who want to (or need to be convinced to) take

advantage of the amazing technology that's out there. After watching this

Adobe eSeminar yesterday, *"Extend your brand and deliver compelling

customer experiences"*, and viewing this (cool) graph,

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121875404, you'll

notice that "computer systems design and related services", as well

as "*management,

scientific and technical consulting services*" have the biggest % leap of

all industries. I'd like to position myself somewhere in there in the next

decade.

Essentially, i'd like to be a designer that can explain what the

programming/coding needs to be and actually *know *what i'm talking about...

That's my long answer, anyway.

Oh, and thank you for this site!

If you want to learn FB go to this Adobe website for training:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/videotraining/flex4beta/index.html this

looks great, & i'll probably work my way through it.

cheers

--

Stuart

http://stuartroholt.com

http://www.twitter.com/stuartroholt

http://www.soundcloud.com/stubaby

• 7. Re: What is the language used in Flash Builder?
                      David_F57 Level 5

Hi,

mxml is the easy part, between flashbuilder wizards and code lookup a lot of the work is done for you, fxg is not critical to flex development its a handy addition though, actionscript is the area you need to spend time on.

The heart of any strong application is the way it is coded, the greatest interface in the world is rubbish if there is nothing below the surface. It doesn't take long to find a balance between mxml(and yes its tag based like xml) and actionscript.

I believe a good way to learn quickly is to pick a project/subject that is of interest to you, do as much as you can without writing any code(discovering mxml) then the same thing again using only the minimal amount of mxml and actionscript for everything else(discovering actionscript).

David

• 8. Re: What is the language used in Flash Builder?
                        CoreyRLucier Adobe Employee

A great place to just play with Actionscript is http://wonderfl.net/ .. you can code directly in your browser and immediately see the results of your experiment.  You can also quickly and easily snag other people's experiments and make them your own or extend them.

Fun times.

-Corey

• 9. Re: What is the language used in Flash Builder?
                          David_F57 Level 5

Hi Corey,

Haven't seen that i'll have to do a fly by and give it a whirl.

@Stuart

One that I always forget to mention yet should be at the top of the list is Peter deHaan's blog for an abundance of examples, followed closely by tourdeflex

http://blog.flexexamples.com/ just an all round great resource

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/tourdeflex/  lots of working examples with the code for you to look at.

Also there are thousands of flex examples out there that also provide code simply by right clicking on the application and selecting the source link.

David.

• 10. Re: What is the language used in Flash Builder?
                            smoothygroove Level 1

- David - thanks again. I started on "Flex In A week", which is actually

pretty good (so far).

I've already bookmarked your other two examples, & will definitely check

them out

- Corey - thanks for pointing me to http://wonderfl.net/. that looks

pretty cool too.

I figure i'll split my time between mxml & actionscript.

You guys rock

--

Stuart