9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2010 3:59 PM by Jeff Bellune

Enhance 320X240 15fps video

lc1963

I'm trying to improve video that was shot  @ 320X240 15fps. Can this be done in Premiere Pro or do I need a third party software like Vreveal or Topaz enhance?

Thank you

P.S. I realize that the real answer is to shoot at a higher res however this is older footage.

• 1. Re: Enhance 320X240 15fps video
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What is your intended delivery scheme?

Are you going to mix this with higher-rez material?

You can start a Project/Sequence in the Desktop Preset and choose 320x240 @ 15 fps, and that will be right for the source footage. Now, Export to something larger, or for use in a Project with higher-rez footage, will be problematic.

Some have reported good results with Topaz, but I have never used it, so I do not know its strengths, or limitations.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Enhance 320X240 15fps video
            lc1963 Level 1

Bill,

Thank you for your reply. I'm using the footage in a Proshow slide show

along with other segments of hi-def video. The contrast between the two

is obviously VERY noticeable.

I was looking to improve the low-res segments even just a little.

Thank You

Leo

What is your intended delivery scheme?

Are you going to mix this with higher-rez material?

You can start a Project/Sequence in the Desktop Preset and choose 320x240 @ 15 fps, and that will be right for the source footage. Now, Export to something larger, or for use in a Project with higher-rez footage, will be problematic.

Some have reported good results with Topaz, but I have never used it, so I do not know its strengths, or limitations.

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 3. Re: Enhance 320X240 15fps video
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Boy, mixing that "half-frame" footage with HD will be a problem. Maybe explore Topaz - don't they have a trial? However, I would not hold out much hope. An artistic workaround would be to use the smaller footage in a PiP situation, and incorporate its smaller size into the "story."

It's almost like getting a Yugo ready for an F1 race (OK, that might be extreme, but you get the idea).

Good luck, and please report if Topaz, or other, helps much. I would be surprised if it did, but pleasantly so.

Hunt

[Edit] They do offer a 30-day trial. Read about half-way down on this LINK. They are a bit vague, regarding the exact versions of PrPro that will be supported, just stating Pr 7.0 (PrPro 1.0) or above. CS4 killed a bunch of older plug-ins, so I would do the trial (if you have CS4), or contact their support for verification. Again, I have not used this, so cannot comment on how well, or how poorly, it would work.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

• 4. Re: Enhance 320X240 15fps video
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, IIRC, there is some discussion in the Muvipix "Community" (fora), on Topaz, but I have yet to find those.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Enhance 320X240 15fps video
                  lc1963 Level 1

Bill,

Thanks again!  Topaz enhance is a little pricey for a plugin, however it

may very well be worth it. I basically shot a Wedding as a Photographer

and I use video to compliment the slide show.

In the future I've considered purchasing another hi-def camcorder. I was

only going to apply it to a few minutes of video and I'm not sure if I

would ever need the software again. I already have

Premiere Pro CS3 and was hoping to use it to enhance the video.

Take Care

Leo

• 6. Re: Enhance 320X240 15fps video
                    Huntrex Level 2

You may want to try out Dan Isaac's SD2HD workflow. I've tried it with some SD 720x480 footage and upscaled it to HD 1440x1080. I was really impressed; it remained remarkably sharp and clear. It definitely blows anything Premiere or After Effects could do out of the water.

This workflow also uses completely free, open-source tools. But, it does take some time to get used to.

1. Download and install VirtualDub

2. Download and install Avisynth

3. Download SD2HD

In the hd2sd_sd2hd.zip folder there will be a .txt file with setup instructions. After everything is installed, create a new text document. Type sd2hd("SD_Master.avi") with SD_Master being the name of your file. It will upscale your video to 720i by default; to change this check out the different parameters you can use in SD2HD.txt in the hd2sd_sd2hd.zip folder. Then save the file in the same folder as your video with an extension of .avs. Then open this file in VirtualDub. You may want to install a lossless video codec such as Lagarith to cut down on the file size; you can select your compression method by going to Video -> Compression. Then go to Video and choose Fast recompress. Now it's time to save your video, File -> Save as AVI.

You can then insert this video into your timeline in Premiere and it will automatically frame blend your video to the sequence frame rate to smooth out the motion.

• 7. Re: Enhance 320X240 15fps video
                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

The latest and greatest version of sd2hd is here:

http://3dvp.com/hd2sd_sd2hd.zip

With your permission, I'll update the link in your post, or you can do it yourself.

-Jeff

• 8. Re: Enhance 320X240 15fps video
                        Huntrex Level 2

Hey Jeff,

That's cool. What's new in this version?

Yes, you have my permission to update the link.

Thanks, Huntrex.

• 9. Re: Enhance 320X240 15fps video
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

What's new in this version?

It's smarter about what source command to use when the source file name/path is listed as a parameter of the filter; it's deinterlacing filters are faster, mostly because they've been optimized for an SMP environment; the default parameters have been changed and/or adjusted to maintain quality but improve speed; parameters that weren't well-behaved with SMP have been removed; other changes that I either forgot or never knew about.

-Jeff