4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2010 8:04 PM by Metal Artist

Images in Premiere = blurry

wyrden Level 1

Hey,

So I've made a video in premiere, I get to the finish line and then I get hung up by the credits. I made some images in Photoshop to create the credits/logo, but when I import those into premiere they are blurry. This isn't so noticible with a photograph, but images with text look awful because the text is fuzzy.

I've been googling and it's plain others have had this problem but I've yet to find a solution:

No screen name said on Jul 22, 2008 at 5:00 AM :
      I'm having trouble importing a clear still image, i have converted image to correct 'Pixel Aspect Ratio' but still is blurry image. For some reason when i left click on image in 'Program: Sequence 01' it becomes clear! Any ideas? Thanks

No screen name said on Sep 16, 2008 at 9:08 AM :
      I am having the same problem importing a clear still image, especially with Photoshop type. Created an image 720 x 534 pixels in Photoshop. Added type with Garamond typeface and sizes from 3.5 point to 6 point in size. In Photoshop I can't use larger type because of the small image size. Looks great in Photoshop, but when imported into Premire Pro CS3, the type is terrible. Oddly, if you select the image by left clicking on the image in the monitor like you are going to manually move or scale it, the image becomes perfectly clear.

Sounds exactly like what I'm going through. I've tried importing bmps or photoshop files directly, as well as resizing my images to match the video frame size. I've also tried just rendering to see if it looks ok in the video, but it doesn't look any better.

I know that people do this kind of thing all the time, so if there's something I'm missing any help would be incredibly appreciated! Thanks.

Tools: Adobe Photoshop CS3 & Adobe Premiere CS3

• 1. Re: Images in Premiere = blurry
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

What frame size is your project?  What frame size(s) are the images?

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Images in Premiere = blurry
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Garamond is a 'bad' font for video.

Use a sans serif font; one without al the fringes, such as Arial, Bell Gothic, Myriad

Give it a slight stroke, preventing it from 'bleeding'.

• 3. Re: Images in Premiere = blurry
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, here is an ARTICLE on Titles, that might prove useful.

I also find that a touch of Vertical Blur helps with Titles. Go very lightly, but in video, a slightly blurry Title will look better. I also adhere to a limited font list, just for video.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Images in Premiere = blurry
                Metal Artist

Anytime you work with an analog photograph and then digitize it the photo will become a little soft.  If you use a digital photograph and then resize it in Photoshop and drop it into Premiere you will have this same problem of softening the image.

When I download a digital photograph into Photoshop and retouch it, I run it through a program called "NIK Sharpener Pro 2.0."  I have used this program for several years and always use it before printing the photograph for a finished print.  You can do the same thing with your photos by going to "filters" and then "sharpen", if it doesn't look sharp enough then do the same thing again.  You can also sharpen your images in Premiere.  In Premiere you can also sharpen your video if you find it a little out of focus or back forcused. Of course, it is best to shoot it sharp, but in a pinch it will help.