7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2010 10:08 PM by Jeff S GP2

Replace layered photoshop file?

Jeff S GP2 Level 1

I have a large photoshop file (about 40 layers) that i'd like to replace with another photoshop layered file (which contains the exact # of layers with the same naming convention, although each has a different image).

Currently the only way of replacing a layered file is to select each individual layer and  search for that layer in another file.

How  can this be done?

Thanks

Jeff

• 1. Re: Replace layered photoshop file?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          How  can this be done?

...the way you are already doing it. Sorry, there is no automated way to do this. AE doesn't care for a PSDs internal structure once the layers have been imported. to the program it's al ljust footage. that's good on most days as it prevents misconduct with screwy PSD files, bad on days when you need to replace things. Since the layers are named identically, a script might be of help. Perhaps something along those lines is floating around on AEnhancers or AEScripts...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Replace layered photoshop file?
            Jeff S GP2 Level 1

Thanks for the speedy reply, Mylenium

I'm amazed After Effects hasn't the ability to reload a PSD.

.. but thanks for the other forum links!

hopefully i'll have better luck there.

Jeff

• 3. Re: Replace layered photoshop file?
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Actually, you should be able to get around this so long as your naming conventions are identical.  Just copy the original PSD out to another folder, and put the new PSD (with the same name) in it's place, then reload the AE project.

• 4. Re: Replace layered photoshop file?
                Jeff S GP2 Level 1

Thanks, Andrew

Yes, I had thought of this as well, however I've run into a problem.

Edit: (Removed my long winded over-explanation)

....As for your suggestion of  simply "copying  the original PSD out to another folder, and put the new PSD (with the same name) in it's place, then reload the AE project...  "  Yes this would work fine. for a single comp, but I need to keep my original file/path, plus add  newly imported ones as well.  The method you suggested would only overwrite the first.

-----

Interestingly, i may have found the craziest work around..  which is to utilize the overwriting process, then "collect" all resources to another folder. thus creating a unique path for each of my needed comps.

As mentioned it is a nutty way to do it,  time consuming.. and i'll also loose my file naming conventions as they'll all be pointing to the original same name/path.

Still, I'd like to do this the proper way, and hopefully find a script which simply reloads a psd layer.

Thanks again

Jeff

• 5. Re: Replace layered photoshop file?
                  Chas Naylor Level 1

...the way you are already doing it. Sorry, there is no automated way to do this. AE doesn't care for a PSDs internal structure once the layers have been imported. to the program it's al ljust footage. that's good on most days as it prevents misconduct with screwy PSD files, bad on days when you need to replace things. Since the layers are named identically, a script might be of help. Perhaps something along those lines is floating around on AEnhancers or AEScripts...

Mylenium

Wait, what?

That's exactly how after effects deals with photoshop files, it looks for file name then layer name, it does not arbitrarily convert it to some new footage type.  As long as the shell of the photoshop file is the same (filename, number of layers, and layer names), then the AEP, placed in the directory relative to the PSD will update with WHATEVER those current images are.

Sorry to disagree here, Mylenium, and you obviously have a lot of posts and have likely helped many many people, but I think this response is just plain wrong.  I even went so far as to triple check doing a quick test, and the AEP/PSD combination behaved as i expected it to.  And you would get misconduct from messing with the PSD.  Try changing a layer name in photoshop and saving it, then opening you AEP and see what happens (the dreaded color bars).

As for your problem, Jeff, since you can't just copy and replace the old file due to the need to keep it plus the new one, your best bet is to import the PSD as a comp, and then alt+drag the individual layers from the project palette to the selected layers that need replacing.  This will keep all of your keyframes and whatnot.

OR

Maybe you create two separate directories, one with the old and one with the new PSD, and set two separate AEP's up the way you want them, then combine those directories and import one of the AEP's into the other (I love the fact that you can import an AEP into an AEP...has saved my butt MANY times).  That might be the ticket right there.

I hope maybe that helps

• 6. Re: Replace layered photoshop file?
                    Jeff S GP2 Level 1

Thanks, Chas

I would agree with your assessment...  layered PSD's should be treated as any other file..  if it's there, it matches, if not, color bars... It should be left up to the user to be diligent with naming conventions and such.

Thanks for the ideas!.  Sadly, they would require extensive layer/comp manipulation.  My initial objective was to simply create a template by maintaining strict naming conventions thinking that as long as each psd was identical, any new import should match perfectly..    A bad idea i guess.

Still,  I may be able to salvage what i have done..  either by my earlier idea of creating .aep file iterations then using the "collect" resources method to force them to new locations..  or perhaps i may scrap the entire layered PSD format and convert these to individual files.  (I recently came across a script which re-paths entire projects, albeit individual images, not layered PSD's)

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Jeff

• 7. Re: Replace layered photoshop file?
                      Jeff S GP2 Level 1

Finaly found a great script which will do the job (works with CS4 through xml save)

http://aescripts.com/batch-search-n-replace-paths/

Enjoy!