7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2010 3:01 AM by i_dream_of_jeannie

HDV just one large mpeg file after capture?

AspIsFun Level 1

Hi,

i have captured one hour HD Video from a HDV tape into PE8. But then the cature is done it gets only one laaaaarge file.

Why doens't the scene dectection works? I have tried to do Auto analyze afterwords but it doesn't work either.

One more question. I have a small Canon Ixus 100 IS that recrods in .mov format. How do i import .mov into PE8?

I must install Quicktime? But if i don't want to?

• 1. Re: HDV just one large mpeg file after capture?
          nealeh Level 5

AspIsFun wrote:

I must install Quicktime? But if i don't want to?

Then you must find different editing software. PREdepends on the presence of Quicktime.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: HDV just one large mpeg file after capture?
            nealeh Level 5

The title of your question says you have imported into an mpeg file. You really don't want that file format in PRE - it's basically a compressed format meant for viewing.

• You say you captured it from an HDV tape. What camera and model is that?
            • Did you import it directly to PRE or via some other method? If PRE your project settings are probably wrong.
            • If some other import method check the software for alternate import file types and post them back here.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: HDV just one large mpeg file after capture?
              AspIsFun Level 1

Hi,

i am using P8E to make the capture and i use the predefined HDV settnings in PE8 (1080i 25 frames /sec).

The camera is a Sony HDR HC3 (HDV cam).

Then i do the capture it results in a large single MPEG-file (the format PE8 use), So i guess the fileformat is correct.

My question was why the scene detection doesn't work? =)

• 4. Re: HDV just one large mpeg file after capture?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As Neale says, Quicktime plays an important role in all PC based editing. It's very important to have it installed and up to date, even if you aren't necessarily editing MOV files. (Per the system requirements on the box.)

As for your HDV, is  your time and date set in your camcorder? If it is not, the program can't tell when there is a scene break because it has not been written into the time code.

If you can't get Premiere Elements to cut on scenes, you can use the free utility HDV Split to capture your video. Not only will it split your clips but the clips will be perfectly compatible with a Premiere Elements HDV project.

• 5. Re: HDV just one large mpeg file after capture?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Most people, working in HD, use Steve's advice to Capture via HDVSplit, a free Capture utility. Most feel that it is what should have been incorporated into both PrE and into PrPro, rather than the limited Capture modules in each Adobe program. They also feel that for SD Capture, SceneAlyzer Live is the best Capture utility for that SD material, and should have been incorporated by Adobe too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: HDV just one large mpeg file after capture?
                    AspIsFun Level 1

Hey again,

i guess i have to install Quicktime and HDV-split. Does HDV split has support for Windows 7 64 bit? Who is the developer of HDV split? Don't wanna have any spyware or virus prepered software. Does someone has a "safe" link?

I looked in the PE8 manual and it says that timcodes is not avaible for HDV. Thats seems to be very odd in a brand new Software?

• 7. Re: HDV just one large mpeg file after capture?
                      i_dream_of_jeannie Level 1

To answer your original question on why the mpeg is one large file : For splitting a HDV clip , the Scene detect option in PRE can be used to spli the clip by content only. This means that there should be very obvious change in the content of your clips, for example : part of it has been shot out in the light and then there is some content in a somewhat dark background.

Splitting by timecode is not supported for HDV