11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2010 3:58 PM by the_wine_snob

Audio synch issues in QT

magnew63

My project displays fine in PE8. No audio synch issues in the preview. After outputting the project to a quicktime movie withe LAN setting the audio becomes seems to run faster than the video, becoming more and more out of synch as the movie plays. Any ideas what might cause such an issue?

• 1. Re: Audio synch issues in QT
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The vast majority of time this problem is related to your source video.

What type of camcorder or camera did your original video come from and how did you get it into your computer?

• 2. Re: Audio synch issues in QT
            Kodebuster Level 3

If your video source files are ripped from a DVD-Video formated disk (VBO type files), you can run into audio/video sync issues.

There are ways to address this, if that's the case...

• 3. Re: Audio synch issues in QT
              magnew63 Level 1

One camera was a Panasonic DVX100. The other was a newer either Sony or Panasonic HD camera. My computer doesn't have firewire, so to get the video into my computer I had to pull it into a Mac from a Mini DV deck using Final Cut Pro. The Quicktime clips were then moved to my computer on a flash drive.

Looking at the footage, I do believe that the camera man used slightly different settings on the two cameras. The image from the HD camera appears larger than that from the DVX.

• 4. Re: Audio synch issues in QT

Is that DVX100 a Panasonic AG-DVX100? That's quite a camcorder for this humble little program. Do you have any idea what settings its video was shot with? It apparently can produce several.

Also the "HD" camcorder your refer to? Is HD in this case "hard drive" or "hi-definition" -- and, if the latter, is it tape-based or AVCHD video?

I'm a little confused on the video formats you're trying to edit.

• 5. Re: Audio synch issues in QT
                  magnew63 Level 1

The Panasonic camera is an AG-DVX100.The HD camera is Hi-def, but he wasn't shooting in HD. I'm trying to find out from him specifically what HD camera it was.

I don't really understand all these settings, but from what I remember of my conversations with the cameraman he shot in "30P" with a 16:9 aspect ratio. As I said above though, I think he may have accidentally set the two cameras differently.

• 6. Re: Audio synch issues in QT
                    magnew63 Level 1

The Stream info in MPEG streamclip for files from both cameras gives me this info:

Bitrate: 30.31 Mpbs

Video Tracks:

DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, 720x480, 16:9, 29.9699999999999 fps, 28.77 Mbps

Audio Tracks:

16-Bit Little Endian mono, 48 khz, 768 kbps

I don't know if this helps.

• 7. Re: Audio synch issues in QT

As that the video from your camcorder? That's DV-AVI. It should load perfectly into Premiere Elements.

The program may be that you're using something other than a standard 12-bit stereo audio codec -- which could account for your sync problems.

• 8. Re: Audio synch issues in QT
                        magnew63 Level 1

The HD camera is a Panasonic HDX-200 P2 shooting DV not HD.

• 9. Re: Audio synch issues in QT
                          magnew63 Level 1

That is the MPEG streamclip info for the original files. They are .mov files though and not .avi. And they do load into PE8 just fine. I converted a couple of them using Streamclip and they look better but it didn't cure the audio slide.

The sliding audio doesn't occur until I output into a Quicktime file. Then things start synched and get progressively more off as the movie plays.

• 10. Re: Audio synch issues in QT
                            magnew63 Level 1

Hmm. Okay, I just tried resetting some things in the output to quicktime. I changed the video codec to DV/DVC PRO - NTSC and the audio to uncompressed and no more synch loss.

So what does that do for people's ability to play it back?

• 11. Re: Audio synch issues in QT
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, I suppose that some older Mac's might have an issue, but in very general terms and with most modern computers, the WAV Audio will be fine, and really about as good as it gets. Do not know if there are CODEC's for WAV for older Mac's, as I have always been a PC-guy.

Good luck,

Hunt