6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2010 7:25 AM by 2sidesdesign

Action Sequence - any good tutorials out there?

2sidesdesign

I could only find this:

http://tv.adobe.com/en/watch/adc-presents/tips-and-tricks-in-flash-catalyst/

which barely touches on it.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

Rob

• 1. Re: Action Sequence - any good tutorials out there?
          Tara Jane Feener Level 3

Hey Rob,

I don't know of any offhand.

What kind of action sequence specific information/help/tutorials were you looking for?

I can write something up if I know areas of need/focus.

Tara

• 2. Re: Action Sequence - any good tutorials out there?
            2sidesdesign Level 1

I just need to see an example of creating one to see what you can do with them. I just don't

have any understanding of the concept; how is it different than a transition? When do you use them and why?

I am trying to figure out a way to jump from one state to another automatically after a certain

period of time. I think the action sequence might be the right way to go, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the reply!

• 3. Re: Action Sequence - any good tutorials out there?
              2sidesdesign Level 1

I've been playing around with them, and I think I get the idea of action sequences; it appears they allow you to animate an object without changing state. This is very handy for modifying things like buttons when people interact with them (say scale 10% on mouseover); a state change would not really be appropriate for things like this.

This still does not solve my problem of changing states after a certain period of time, though.

Ack.

• 4. Re: Action Sequence - any good tutorials out there?
                2sidesdesign Level 1

I still don't see what action sequences are really useful for; it seems the natural way to make components change based on an interacton (say onHover) is in the component's states. Also, you can't control other "objects" in an actions sequence (for example, make a menu appear when you hover on a button).

Can anyone explain when the use case(s) for Action Sequences are?

Thanks

Rob

• 5. Re: Action Sequence - any good tutorials out there?
                  anachman

I have just discovered them myself, but I'm thinking they are pretty useful. It looks to me like they are lighter-weight  alternative to page state transitions. And actually, you can control other objects in the action sequence. You just have to have that object selected when you click the 'Add Action' button on the timeline. For example, I have 2 checkboxes, where one is dependent on the other. So I set up an action sequence that says 'when clicking this checkbox, set the other checkbox to the unchecked state.' Unfortunately, I can't see a way to only execute that action only when the first checkbox is in a particular state.

Here's another simple example. Alpha is a property you can control on a standard rectangle through action sequences. So you could have a set of radio buttons indicating different alpha values. For each radio button, you can add an action sequence that sets the alpha property of the rectangle to the given value. Or you could make some shape move across the screen or rotate when you click a button. You could do both of those things using page states, but action sequences mean you don't need the extra states.

There are definitely limitations on the level of control, but I'm hoping that will change as functionality generally improves. Like I said, I'm just learning action sequences, but those are my initial impressions of what they could be used for. Did that make any sense?

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Action Sequence - any good tutorials out there?
                    2sidesdesign Level 1

you said:

"And actually, you can control other objects in the action sequence. You  just have to have that object selected when you click the 'Add Action'  button on the timeline."

Duh <smacks forehead>. That makes sense!

If you could only add actions to the object with the "interaction" on it, there would not appear to be much utility in Action Sequences at all. This makes them a lot more useful.

Thanks so much