6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2010 4:49 PM by the_wine_snob

PE 8 Causes system to crash and reboot when burning DVD

oldsportbiker Level 1

I am so frustrated given the countless hours that I have wasted tryin

g to burn DVDs using PE 8 in the past 4 weeks.

It gets to the point of finishing encoding and the

n shuts down my PC. I don't always see it happening as I'm trying to do other thin

gs at the same time. I have followed most of the system suggestions on this and other forum

s but I'm still facing these system crashes. The latest attempt is a project with

3.2 GB output ( about 1 hour), of clips from VOB sources with .m4a and mp

3 audio clips spliced in. System is stable when editing and I don't have any o

ther stabilty problems running other applications. I have a brand new Dell desktop, (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 920),  with 8 GB memor

y, 600 GB free disk space, running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I have updated my nvidia card and don't know where to go from here. How do I determine if I have a DVD burner driver issue? How do I determine what drivers PE8 is using?

What strikes me is that Adobe has seriously dropped the ball on this product. A consumer product shouldn't require making tons of system setup changes to get it to work. This is the first PC program that I have purchased since 1983 that is borderline totallly worthless.

• 1. Re: PE 8 Causes system to crash and reboot when burning DVD
          the_wine_snob Level 9

When a system crashes during authoring/burning, it is often a sign that there is not enough free space on the HDD. The working files are quite large. How much free space do you have?

As a test, can you instead Burn to Folder, instead of the physical burn to a disc? Does this complete? When played from the HDD with a software DVD player, does everything play well?

If so, you can use the free burning utility, ImgBurn to do the physical burn.

Now, there should be no need for drivers (outside of the OS) for your burner. However, burners often have outdated firmware. One nice feature of ImgBurn is that it will tell you exactly what version of firmware you have. Then, go the mfgr's Web site and check to see if there is a newer version. If so, install that.

Now, there can be many other problems with burning to DVD, but most are accompanied by an error message, or two. Do you get any error messages? If so, please list those, in as much detail, as is possible.

Good luck, and please let us know exactly how the tests go, plus the answers to the questions above.

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE 8 Causes system to crash and reboot when burning DVD
            Kodebuster Level 3

Sport, if your source files are VOB from a DVD-Video disk then read these two (2) threads in detail:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2491924#2491924

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1763599#1763599

I have found video files of this nature to be quite a challenge with all versions of PE.

In all cases, issues can be resolved, BUT you must FIRST convert the VOB's to the DV-AVI video format outside of PE, then use these files as input to PE.

Again, review the threads I posted, and if you have additional questions, fire away...

• 3. Re: PE 8 Causes system to crash and reboot when burning DVD
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Another thought on the rebooting. By default, Windows is set up to reboot on a BSOD, or system crash. What happens is that the error message is lost. You can change your OS's behavior, so that the error message stays up - no reboot, until you exit from the error screen.

Now, much contained in these errors is just rather useless code, but not always. There can be some major clues included in there.

Also, when a system crashes, there is often a breadcrumb trail left behind in the Event Viewer. This ARTICLE will give you tips on finding the clues in that trail. Be sure to follow any/all links in any of the error and warning messages, from the Date/Time of the crash.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PE 8 Causes system to crash and reboot when burning DVD
                nealeh Level 5

oldsportbiker wrote:

It gets to the point of finishing encoding and then shuts down my PC. I don't always see it happening as I'm trying to do other things at the same time.

When you say 'do other things at the same time' do you mean other things on your PC? If so then that's creating an additional load on the machines processor, disks and graphics.

Best to leave it alone until it completes (hurrah) or crashes (boo). As suggested by Bill burn the project to the hard disk.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: PE 8 Causes system to crash and reboot when burning DVD-ImgBurn solution
                  oldsportbiker Level 1

Temporary relief... I burned to a Hard disk folder

and then used ImgBurn to burn to DVD. There were no crashes and the

resuting DVD seems to include everything I built in. In spite of this, I am extremely disappointed in Adobe for selling a consumer product that is so riddled with bugs that it requires these workarounds. I suspect that it's revenue stream for Adobe doesn't warrant fixing the many issues that it has. I've been buying and using PC software since 1983 and I can honestly say that I've never had problems that were as serious as with this product. I spent hours and hours trying every suggestion that Adobe support and others suggested in order to make this work...Bottom line...the product is not ready for prime time and should be yanked from the market place before Adobe disenfranchises even more customers. In the future, if I have a choice between an Adobe product and another company, I won't choose Adobe

• 6. Re: PE 8 Causes system to crash and reboot when burning DVD-ImgBurn solution
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Temporary relief... I burned to a Hard disk folder and then used ImgBurn to burn to DVD. There were no crashes and the resuting DVD seems to include everything I built in.

This is good news, especially as it shows us that PrE, and your system, can Burn to Folder. It also indicates that there are not any problems with your Project, or with your Assets, so the test was very successful.

I am extremely disappointed in Adobe for selling a consumer product that is so riddled with bugs that it requires these workarounds.

Now, there is likely some conflict with your burner, that Adobe is much more sensitive to, than is ImgBurn. Adobe products need 100% control of a burner. They also want things to go perfectly, as far as the burner accepting the data stream, and also reporting all sorts of queries.

This ARTICLE, from the Encore (Adobe's authoring-only program), on things that can get in the way. Some utilities, like ImgBurn, can get around some of these issues. To create 100% DVD-compliant discs, Adobe programs are extremely critical.

My first guess would be that a firmware update would help things. They cannot hurt. Also, looking at possible conflicts between other programs, might yield a cause.

I'd not turn my back on PrE too quickly, until all "cures" have been exhausted. Some might argue that a piece of software should just work with every conceivable system. It cannot. There are just too many possibilities out there - hardware, other software, OS's and the list goes on. That's why I mentioned some of the "usual suspects," to look into.

Good luck, and at least you were able to get the Project burned to disc.

Hunt