7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2010 4:36 AM by Wade_Zimmerman

no black print on Illustrator CS2

adoberonnieru

Using Mac OS 10.6.2, Snow Leopard, Illustrator CS2 won't print black using either CMYK or RBG.  The color is gray/blue.  No problem when printing same on Photoshop CS2.

• 1. Re: no black print on Illustrator CS2
          Scott Falkner Level 5

What do you mean by, “using either CMYK or RBG?” What is the Document Color Mode (File menu) for the file? How are you defining colours in the Color panel? What are you preferences for Appearance of Black? What printer are you using?

Screen shot 2010-01-22 at 11.40.52 AM.PNG

Most inkjet printers, despite using CMYK inks, are RGB devices in that the colour information between Illustrator, the OS, and the printer is sent using RGB values, which the printer converts to CMYK.

• 2. Re: no black print on Illustrator CS2
            adoberonnieru Level 1

Thank you for your reply.

My printer is a Canon Pixma 610  which printed black Illustrator documents fine before I upgraded my Mac OS from  Leopard to Snow Leopard.

I printed a selection using CMYK from Menu>File>Document Color Mode and the  printing was gray with a touch of blue.

I printed a selection using RGB from Menu>File>Document Color Mode and the  printing was gray with a touch of blue.

In "preferences for Appearance of Black" I used the default, "Display All Blacks as Rich Black", then after hearing from you, I tried switching to "Display All Blacks Accurately" with the same blue/grey print-out.

Any more suggestions?

Thank you,

Ronnie Rudolph

• 3. Re: no black print on Illustrator CS2
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Ronnie,

Maybe the Snow is making the black paler.

How you tried Printing/Exporting>Output All Blacks Accurately or as Rich Black?

• 4. Re: no black print on Illustrator CS2
                Scott Falkner Level 5

In the RGB version of the file, how are you defining your colours? Illustrator has a bug that it sucks a lot. One place where it sucks is that the mode in the Color panel has no relationship to the Document Color Mode (DCM). It's incredibly annoying that the mode does not change from CMYK to RGB when your DCM changes from CMYK to RGB. So if you have and RGB file, use RGB mode to define your colours, including black.

You might want to try making a PDF and printing that from Acrobat or Preview. Try using both CMYK and RGB for the PDF. You might just have to live with printing PDFs from another application. Remember: Illustrator sucks a lot.

• 5. Re: no black print on Illustrator CS2
                  adoberonnieru Level 1

I was excited to try the Acrobat save, but the print was even worse..now there's a thin blue and pink stripe in the gray/blue print!

HOWEVER, if I open the Illustrator CS2 document in Photoshop CS2 and print it, tah dah, the black is black!!!  Workable work-around.

Life can be beautiful,

Ronnie

Go figure and I do thank you for your input...any other ideas??

• 6. Re: no black print on Illustrator CS2
                    Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Ronnie,

Just to rule out one probably unlikely cause, given the history, have you disabled any (colour) management by the printer? Sometimes the printer want to help but is not very good at it.

• 7. Re: no black print on Illustrator CS2
                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

First find out if there are upgraded drivers for your printer for Snow Leopard most printers have been updated for a variety of reasons.

if that does not work the after you update the drivers try removing the printer from the printer list, trashing Illustrator's setting folder in your users preferences and the canon pixma preferences as well also in your users preferences.

then restart the Mac and then add the printer back to the printer list make sure the printer is on when you restart the Mac.

hopefully that will fix  things.